Thread: HEX-NET WiFi Official Release

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

HEX-NET WiFi Official Release

I read that HEX-NET WiFi is a beta product. When will the official release of the product be ready?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Every time I have mentioned a date for that, I have regretted it. Therefore I will not do so anymore.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    When it will be ready to be published?

From what I've read it's quite stable for most applications. I see that there are some limitation for hex for now like the not so common cars like t'regs and phaetons(Correct me if I'm wrong.) For other stuff it works quite stable from what I've read and even if there are some errors, debug and letter to RT could resolve them.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    I see that there are some limitation for hex for now like the not so common cars like t'regs and phaetons(Correct me if I'm wrong.)
    HEX-NET and my Phaeton have gotten along just about perfect for more than a year now, and it shares a lot with older Touaregs.

Jason

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the long version of my question goes like this:
    I own a VW EOS '09 and a VW Polo '14. I have retrofitted RNS-510, cruise control, bluetooth, MDI and lights-n-sights pack and I want now to retrofit RVC.
    Should I go ahead and buy HEX-NET Wi-fi? And more importantly: Can I buy it now? I live in Greece.
    I want to monitor engine activity too (like misfires, etc). I do retrofits / upgrades to other cars also.
    Last edited by jbrailas; 11-10-2015 at 04:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you buy it? Yes.

Should you buy it? Good question. It's more work to keep it up to date than a HEX+CAN interface because there's a lot more software in it. Do you intend to use it primarily stand-alone with VCDS-Mobile or do you plan to use it mostly with VCDS and use Mobile only "on the road"?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will primarily use HEX-NET with VCDS and use diagnostics (mobile version) mainly on the road.
    Furthermore, I want to try cloud-connected mode of vcds-mobile operation.
    Can I buy HEX-NET from a reseller in Europe?
    Last edited by jbrailas; 11-11-2015 at 02:10 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have interest to buy it too. I use VCDS with HEXaCAN only for me and friends, not for commercial usage, so, if sometimes will be problem, I will survive it. I have interest to use it mainly with iPhone. Problem is, that in Czech republic, I cannot buy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Direct sales from Ross-Tech in the USA only at this time.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    jbrailas,

This is a matter of opinion but you should be happy with the HEX-NET if you intend on configuring retrofits with VCDS. As you probably know VCDS offers a Long Coding Helper and a pretty straight forward Gateway [Installation List] function which applies when adding things like Navi or a RVC that weren't factory installed. This Function Chart is packed full of additional links. Furthermore, I personally like the ability to save coding and adaptation logs, Auto-Scans, etc.. in plain text on a PC.

VCDS-Mobile on the other hand has several advantages but I wouldn't consider it ideal for retrofits. Nearly everyone has a smart device of some sort at this point which makes the HEX-NET a great lightweight device for general maintenance, fault codes, minor diagnosis and similar which fall into the mobile or on the road category.

If you decide to purchase the HEX-NET I would recommend adding one of our OBDII Right Angle Extension Cables to the order. That will help prevent WiFi signal issues in addition to keeping the HN safe (so it doesn't get kicked) and less likely to become lost if you keep the two connected to each other most of the time like I do.

12. Likes jyoung8607, Eric, Uwe, jbrailas liked this post