HEX-NET WiFi Official Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrailas

Reaction score
I read that HEX-NET WiFi is a beta product. When will the official release of the product be ready?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Every time I have mentioned a date for that, I have regretted it. Therefore I will not do so anymore.

-Uwe-

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
When it will be ready to be published? :)

From what I've read it's quite stable for most applications. I see that there are some limitation for hex for now like the not so common cars like t'regs and phaetons(Correct me if I'm wrong.) For other stuff it works quite stable from what I've read and even if there are some errors, debug and letter to RT could resolve them.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I see that there are some limitation for hex for now like the not so common cars like t'regs and phaetons(Correct me if I'm wrong.)
HEX-NET and my Phaeton have gotten along just about perfect for more than a year now, and it shares a lot with older Touaregs.

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

jbrailas

Reaction score
Well, the long version of my question goes like this:
I own a VW EOS '09 and a VW Polo '14. I have retrofitted RNS-510, cruise control, bluetooth, MDI and lights-n-sights pack and I want now to retrofit RVC.
Should I go ahead and buy HEX-NET Wi-fi? And more importantly: Can I buy it now? I live in Greece.
I want to monitor engine activity too (like misfires, etc). I do retrofits / upgrades to other cars also.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can you buy it? Yes.

Should you buy it? Good question. It's more work to keep it up to date than a HEX+CAN interface because there's a lot more software in it. Do you intend to use it primarily stand-alone with VCDS-Mobile or do you plan to use it mostly with VCDS and use Mobile only "on the road"?

-Uwe-

jbrailas

Reaction score
I will primarily use HEX-NET with VCDS and use diagnostics (mobile version) mainly on the road.
Furthermore, I want to try cloud-connected mode of vcds-mobile operation.
Can I buy HEX-NET from a reseller in Europe?

Last edited:

swenak

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236893
I have interest to buy it too. I use VCDS with HEXaCAN only for me and friends, not for commercial usage, so, if sometimes will be problem, I will survive it. I have interest to use it mainly with iPhone. Problem is, that in Czech republic, I cannot buy it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Direct sales from Ross-Tech in the USA only at this time.

-Uwe-

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
jbrailas,

This is a matter of opinion but you should be happy with the HEX-NET if you intend on configuring retrofits with VCDS. As you probably know VCDS offers a Long Coding Helper and a pretty straight forward Gateway [Installation List] function which applies when adding things like Navi or a RVC that weren't factory installed. This Function Chart is packed full of additional links. Furthermore, I personally like the ability to save coding and adaptation logs, Auto-Scans, etc.. in plain text on a PC.

VCDS-Mobile on the other hand has several advantages but I wouldn't consider it ideal for retrofits. Nearly everyone has a smart device of some sort at this point which makes the HEX-NET a great lightweight device for general maintenance, fault codes, minor diagnosis and similar which fall into the mobile or on the road category.

If you decide to purchase the HEX-NET I would recommend adding one of our OBDII Right Angle Extension Cables to the order. That will help prevent WiFi signal issues in addition to keeping the HN safe (so it doesn't get kicked) and less likely to become lost if you keep the two connected to each other most of the time like I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back