Not open for further replies.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
We do have internal tools that can handle most of the testing offline because VCDS does not have a demo mode which can be used. Creating label files used to be open to the public and the idea was that customers would create the files they needed and then share them with the community. The reality was however that only a hand full of people outside of Ross-Tech have ever shared files, so the whole concept got thrown over board and it became pretty much an "internal only" thing. Partially this is also why the semantics are that important, i.e. why there is only very little error handling.

Reactions: Uwe

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Yeah its a shame that more don't share but its no easy feat getting it correct first time out the gate as you and now I understand. Perhaps if there was tools to assist in making them it would have been a different story because its quite the undertaking using notepad. I am aware its hard to find reliable sources if info to assist in making the files.

I'm lucking Im driving such a old car and the info is out there to be found but Im sure its not so easy for newer models.

I have also made lbl files for 13 radar and modified the 34 level control files to add more functionality once I'm satisfied with it I shall send them onto you assuming you want them?

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Ok I hope your not getting tired of my continual questions, next one is regarding (31) the purpose of 31 is to display data from the master and slave ecu at the same time as well as performing basic settings that effect both ecu's my question is how to format or write the lbl file to have the second row of data display labels?

You can see from my attached picture that the label files is currently showing labels in the row for Master but not Slave (second row) which is where that labeling should be.

Its not so important on this MVB but the ones where there is Bank 1-4 on the cats it would be nice to have them labelled accordingly.

Is this possible?

Del

22987315995_d4a4550d50_b.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think that would require some additional special accommodation(s) in the software for address 31 that we don't currently have...

-Uwe-

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Oh Balls, dont know if my OCD can cope with that :banghead:

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Oh Balls, dont know if my OCD can cope with that :banghead:

Mine can't, but I was overruled by Uwe and Eric. ;) Hence my recommendation to put it all in one line like...

Code:
026,0,Ignition (Knock Control Cylinder 1-4 / 7-10)
026,1,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 1/7,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,2,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 2/8,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,3,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 3/9,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,4,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 4/10,Range: 0.0...40.0 V

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I now have a massive appreciation for the guys building label files for controllers so much stuff in them.

Tell me about it... :)

I've been working on a .lbl file for the HVAC controller for months now. I've fallen into the same traps of formatting the data so it displays correctly when VCDS runs - hence the neighbours thinking I'm weird when sitting in the car for ½ an hour after midnight every now and again.

Mind I'm the ultimate pedant though. :rolleyes:

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
My wife thinks I have lost it, spending too much time sat in the driveway with the laptop hooked up engine running, neighbours going back and forth looking and I can see the puzzled look in their faces think wtf is he doing?

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Mine can't, but I was overruled by Uwe and Eric. ;) Hence my recommendation to put it all in one line like...

Code:
026,0,Ignition (Knock Control Cylinder 1-4 / 7-10)
026,1,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 1/7,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,2,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 2/8,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,3,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 3/9,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,4,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 4/10,Range: 0.0...40.0 V

Doesn't float my boat either :(

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
For the time being this is IMO the way to go, assuming there is enough time/room for Eric to implement this properly we can still fix the LBLs after the fact. :) There are a few problems which make a straight implementation tough, for example if one just grabs from the #01 and #11 LBLs, how does one treat the BS, ADP, L/SA and LC/C differences properly? There is indeed a bunch of reason for the current situation and I agree with Uwe and Eric that it is not feasible at this point - though as I said that doesn't mean I have to like it either. ;)

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
I clearly dont have the inside understanding you guys have but is there a need for ADP, LC & C info etc in 31?

My understanding was that 31 was a bridge between the two for want of a better description and allows data from both ecu's to be displayed at the same time for certain measuring blocks like Bank 1 & 2 from the 01 ECU and 3 & 4 from the 11 ECU.

All the coding is applied to the 01 and 11 separately is it not? When I retrofitted the ACC I had to go into each ECU and apply the coding to each.

I though with maybe a little front end tweak to VCDS and the way it works with lbl files it could be made to display the labels for the correct ecu measuring blocks.

If we take your example there is data from both ecu's to be had in the same blocks

If an extra letter was added like below would that not help to differentiate the data to display correctly in the approprite row?

Code:
026,0M,Ignition (Knock Control Cylinder 1-4)
026,1M,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 1,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,2M,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 2,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,3M,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 3,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,4M,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 4,Range: 0.0...40.0 V

026,0S,Ignition (Knock Control Cylinder 7-10)
026,1S,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 7,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,2S,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 8,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,3S,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 9,Range: 0.0...40.0 V
026,4s,Knock Sensor,Voltage Cylinder 10,Range: 0.0...40.0 V

P.s I know there is not separate knock sensors but was just using the numbers as an example of how blocks could be separated that use the same numbers

Anyway not knocking you guys, I love VCDS as a tool and many would be lost without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back