Making label files

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
I am building the label files for BSM engine and would like to know how I would go about getting the drop down box for long coding like this

coding-lcode-2-s.png

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Make a text file. Name it [appropriate-name].xpl. If you can't figure out what the appropriate name is, post an Auto-Scan from the car in question.

Look at one of the existing .xpl files in your Labels folder to get an idea what needs to be in there.

-Uwe-

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Hi Uwe,

I have been messing with it all afternoon, I can make long codings list ok, but i am trying to create the drop down style like above I have found that it involves a format like this (LC,00,3~4,10,Language: English) but I'm struggling to find out how i would combine bit0 2 and 3 into a drop down option.

Does that make sense?

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Nevermind, I figured it out its done like this, well I assume it is because it appears to work.

LC,00,0~7,01,Vechicle Manufacturer : Audi
LC,00,0~7,10,test

Reactions: Uwe

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Emission control: "Steam-pressure critical countries (EUII) 0GV" Would love to know what that means :confused:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If I knew, I'd tell ya! :)

Some of VW's translations make no dang sense.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Emission control: "Steam-pressure critical countries (EUII) 0GV" Would love to know what that means :confused:
Can't say for certain, but from looking around at some other label files that also have that production code, I'm guessing they mean RVP critical countries. May be a factor of local gasoline quality, ethanol and other blending, temperature and altitude.

Jason

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
That would make more sense in a petrol engine, for a bit I was thinking it might have been related to atmospheric pressure or a lack of at high altitude but felt it was grasping at straws.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I bet that's correct. "Vapor Pressure critical countries" makes much more sense.

Thanks, Jason! :thumbs:

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
FWIW; there were a hand full similar translation "errors" in our files - those have been addressed now. ;)

ElSupremo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=215154
FWIW; there were a hand full similar translation "errors" in our files - those have been addressed now. ;)

When in doubt, just use "All your base are belong to us..."

Reactions: Uwe

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Ok I revisited this today and quickly realised that long coding info is not kept in the lbl file but is kept in the xpl files, I did wonder why there was a separate file format for coding, anyway I quickly pasted my info into a file named 07L-910-552.xpl and once i reopened the engine controller it worked as expected, however when I open the slave ecu it doesn't pick up the info from the xpl file.

How do i get around this problem? I tried making another file named 07L-910-552-BSM.xpl but that didnt work either, I'm sure with loads of trial and error I will find out how to but was hoping one of you knowledgeable peeps would save me the hassle.

I now have a massive appreciation for the guys building label files for controllers so much stuff in them.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
The long coding info is in the LBLs as well, due to the nature of LCode being an external plugin we used to use XPL files but haven't added any new XPLs in quite some time.

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
So what should I do Sebastian, with the LC info in my label file the long coding helper had no info, when I made the xpl file Engine ecu 01 LC helper was fine but Engine ecu 11 LC helper was empty with no info ????

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Impossible to say without seeing the actual file and a scan of the car/module you're testing this on. Feel free to send both to me via email and I'll take a look.

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
This is what I put in the lbl file for coding but it made no difference to the LC helper

Code:
; LoNG CODING EXAMPLE Coding: 01060003190F0260
;
; Long Coding info
;
LC,00,0~7,01,  Vechicle Manufacturer: Audi
;
LC,01,0~7,05, (A6 Saloon)
LC,01,0~7,0D, (A6 Avant)
LC,01,0~7,06, (A8 Saloon)
;
LC,02,0~7,00, Selling Market: "Rest of World"
LC,02,0~7,02, Selling Market: "CIS/China (Low=octane countries)"
LC,02,0~7,10, Selling Market: "Brazil"
;
LC,03,0~7,00, Emission control: "Rest of World (EU II,E4) 0GU, China Rural 7GH"
LC,03,0~7,01, Emission control: "Brazil (EU II) 0GW"
LC,03,0~7,02, Emission control: "China urban, Beijing (EU III,E4) 0GE"
LC,03,0~7,03, Emission control: "EU IV (including Japan) 0GG"
LC,03,0~7,09, Emission control: "USA (LEV II) 7GA"
LC,03,0~7,0A, Emission control: "USA (ULEV) 7GB"
LC,03,0~7,10, Emission control: "Liquid vapor pressure critical countries (EUII) 0GV"
;
LC,04,0~7,19, Gearbox: 6-Speed automatic transmission
;
LC,05,0~7,0F, Special Function 1: Quattro drive / Air conditioner
;
LC,06,0~7,00, Special Function 2: Without special function
LC,06,0~7,01, Special Function 2: With with CCS Cruise control system
LC,06,0~7,02, Special Function 2: With with ACC Adaptive cruise control
LC,06,0~7,08, Special Function 2: With Trailer
LC,06,0~7,09, Special Function 2: With Trailer and CCS
LC,06,0~7,0A, Special Function 2: With Trailer and ACC

LC,07,0~7,60, Cooling: Dual fan with additional water pump

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Hi Derek,

based on a brief look the issues are mostly due to semantics being incorrect. For example empty lines without a semicolon often cause trouble with LCode, also there was at least one case in MVB 170 where you used a dot instead of a comma. LCode seems to handle XPL files a little more gracefully than the data VCDS sends over, so this may or may not be related as well.

That said, I briefly tested this offline (without an ECU) and it comes up fine here. Mind elaborating what you're doing in terms of testing? Are you actually connected to the car at the time?

BTW: The overall quality of the stuff you added is really nice, you did good by copying the concept from other existing files.

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Hi Sebastian,

As you are probably aware there is no files for the BSM engine, I have got by in the past by renaming the R8 clb files.

That was fine but recently I retrofitted ACC to the car that required coding of both ecu's, info was thin on the ground but I found it, I also plan to retrofit factory tow bar so that will be another coding of ECU's, so that's some of the reasoning behind building of lbl files with coding info.

The rest is I just want to know what data I am looking at for the engine, there's a lot of it spread across both ecu's and should I ever get to the point of needing to fault find, the files I have made will be invaluable.

Since last chatting here and the email I sent, I cleaned up the two files with coding info and LC helper works on both ECU's with VCDS connected to the car so thats a result, just need to sift through the 31-4E0-910-552.PLB that I generated earlier and see whats what with it.

Regards to MVB 170 I cant see the error you mentioned????

170,0,Starter Control MASTER ONLY
170,1,Starter request,(Terminal 50),Range: ON/OFF
170,2,Measure-back,wire terminal 50 R,Range: ON/OFF
170,3,Starter Relay 1,,Range: ON/OFF
170,4,Starter Relay 2,,Range: ON/OFF

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Del

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Don't worry about the coding info too much, I'll be happy to add that later.

Per your email in 07L-910-552-BSM2.lbl

Code:
171.0,Start Control READ ONLY ON MASTER

The #31 PLB isn't showing you the full picture, meaning you can't go by what that says. BSM3 needs to be a more generalized combination of BSM1 & BSM2, excluding stuff like C/LC/ADP.

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Well caught that man.

The coding helper works well now, not exactly sure what was stopping it before? Do you guys do all your editing of lbl files in notepad? feel like there has to be an easier way then writing everything in notepad then going to the car to test it.

Its frustrating not being able to run VCDS in a testing mode where i can at least see if the labels are displaying in the relevant blocks correctly or not. there has been many times where I have misplaced a comma and that messes up the displayed labels.

As for the files that I sent you I didn't put that adaptation values in there, they are left over from the w12 files i used as a starting of point. Sure you know that already though :)

Back