Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPMS or not TPMS, that is the question!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indirect TPMS can't detect gross underinflation, which I believe is why markets with that requirement or another performance based test will fit direct for that market. Audi in Europe have used both systems, but the last I can think of that had direct were the D3 A8. Cheaper models were generally first to move to indirect (which is what BMW have also used in Europe with run on flat tyres for many years) as no sensor costs.

Indirect is basically useless except where 1 tyre gets a puncture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
    Indirect TPMS can't detect gross underinflation, which I believe is why markets with that requirement or another performance based test will fit direct for that market.
    That's not correct. The US performance based standard requires a TPMS system to detect when all four tires are grossly (but equally) under-inflated, and there are lots of cars sold here now that use indirect systems. I'm not sure exactly how they accomplish this, but they do.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.