COIL PACK BS Story as upgrade! and ground issues for all coil packs or latent heat!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Anyone being told that you should install adapters to make 07K or other type pencil direct ignition coils, in place of any 06A series coils.......... is running a scam or an idiot.

The blue print in the coils is the same for the switch and coil winding......that is why they function.

The only coil that worked well and was never superseded for the 1.8T, and Audi V8, was made by Hitachi. 06B-905-115E Bolt down type.
This one exhibits a larger coil winding.

The real issue has always been heat and poor grounds being tied to a shit pot metal aluminum connection on the VC.

Each coil has two grounds, and if tied together to a proper bus back to the battery........ this helps a great deal.

A power conditioner/CAP to the power bus is also advised to keep voltage sharp for the secondary side. ( CAP like in old BOOM boom system etc..)

A heavier trigger lead back to the ecu for each coil is a good idea too.

A real solution for racing would be while using OEM parts as an enhancement.
Take any of the 1995> VW larger coils and run an independent power stage to each, locate coil away from heat.
Use stainless core ignition wire and valid looms for noise suppression.

Advantages are huge in top end under high boost.........dwell on it!

livingez123

Reaction score
Not new to VW but new to the 1.8t engine, I thought about this the other day when I started having heat soak issues with 2 of my coil packs. Why can't I remote mount 4 coil packs under the cowl and use some 16v plug wires?
Heat soak solved!

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Not new to VW but new to the 1.8t engine, I thought about this the other day when I started having heat soak issues with 2 of my coil packs. Why can't I remote mount 4 coil packs under the cowl and use some 16v plug wires?
Heat soak solved!

You absolutely can with the correct power-stage and I have experimented myself with many different coils or race coils & to get a guaranteed result.

First did this with 3 external power-stages in the VR6 supercharged or turbo race cars & well over 20 years ago, then went from waste to direct spark and then tied the signals back together to get the scavenged cleaning effect back but with 6 power-stages and individual coils.

livingez123

Reaction score
I've been doing alot of reading and the GM LS2 coil packs seem to be a major improvement over the 1.8t COP. With just a small bump in dwell time they seem to be the ticket for the road race/track day car. I want good performance but reliability is key. The New Beetles engine compartment is so packed good air flow is hard to come by and heat soak can be a problem. Also keeping the signal ground and coil ground as far apart as practical is a big benefit.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I have found that the OEM coil for everyday driving and racing is just fine for money.
Grounds are most important issue.

06B-905-115E

livingez123

Reaction score
Are you talking about gauge of wire or location of the grounds itself?
I'm not sure where I read it but one possible solution was to run a larger gauge of wire from the injectors to both the ECU ground and the valve cover ground.
VW isn't very generous when it comes to the gauge of wire used in the grounds. I have a new set of Hitachi coils coming this week, they are the same number as you listed above. if I can get a couple of years out them I guess I shouldn't complain. Heat seems to be the killer of them, I wonder.........

Back