'15 Audi A3 8V - Front turns as DRL - Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBVeeDB

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=243826
Hello - I was recently inspired by the new Hyundai Genesis Sedan, which has amber bulbs on the interior sides of each headlight housing.

dsc_6686.jpg

And it got me thinking - can we use the A3's front signal bulbs as DRL's instead of the LED strips? My A3 has the projector/NA Base headlights (not the full LED version). So my standard DRL is the strip, parking lights are strips+outer indicators, and turn signals are interior amber bulbs. Turning DRL's on or off is possible via MMI screen.

My question is: Can I retain all current functions, but have my interior ambers operate as front DRL's when the switch in in the off ("0") Position? Signaling would then allow the respective side to blink (along with mirrors and tails) while the other side remained on.

I don't mind the LED strips being on when the low beams are on, or parking lights, I am only interested in having amber DRL's when the switch is off. This way I could still be completely off via MMI if I wanted to.

Option 2: Can the LED strips be disabled in parking light mode, and the outer indicators be swapped for inners? It would achieve the desired effect in parking light mode this way. Just another thought.

Timed a picture just right today, to demonstrate the look I am after - It would look like this:

22564362611_51613cff6f_c.jpg

I can upload a scan if it is needed, let me know if anyone has encountered a way to start swapping some things around. I am open to other ideas as well (alternating/out-of-phase inners/outers when signaling, etc...). Please don't post just to tell me you think the idea is stupid and that the LED strips are superior. I think the white LED line is overdone in today's market, and I have always loved amber. Again the strips look great in conjunction with the hid's/lowbeams.

-Devin

Edit: Maybe coding from the all-halogen headlights in ROW cars can be used for making my signals operate as DRL.

Last edited:

ineedbeer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236468
From reading about similar mods on other forums, I believe if you found a way to do this, there would be a very good chance of melting the housing and or wiring harness as the bulbs get too hot when constantly on.

Reactions: Uwe

DBVeeDB

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=243826
From reading about similar mods on other forums, I believe if you found a way to do this, there would be a very good chance of melting the housing and or wiring harness as the bulbs get too hot when constantly on.

That is definitely a valid concern. I wonder if the LED replacements for these bulbs would run cooler.

Also, do these incandescents run that much hotter than the OEM xenon? Or the halogen bulbs in non-xenon headlights overseas? I can't imagine these parking bulbs being too hot for the NA projector housings, when Audi is using similar housings overseas for actual headlight bulbs.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So you wanna make your Audi look more like a Hyundai? Really?

-Uwe-

mtl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=153305
First short question:
do you have light sensor?
Iy yes, would you like that also with switch on auto signals to be on as drl?

rlarsen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78998
I think it would be possible - here is a link to a German code collection: http://www.assvupdate.ch/p/audi-a3-8v-fl.html - search for "US Blinker" on the page (coding also to see below). I can't comment on if it is working - I'm only posting the link.

Code:
Stg 09 Bordnetz >
Funktion 16 Zugriff > 31347
Funktion 10 Anpassung >
LINKS
Kanal > (9)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion D 0 auswählen (Blinker Vorne Links)
Wert auf Standlicht allgemein anpassen
Kanal > (10)-Leuchte 0BLK VL B36-Dimmwert CD 0 auswählen
Wert > (Dimmgrad in Prozent) Empfehlung 30%
Kanal > (12)-Leuchte0BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion E0 auswählen
Wert auf Blinken links Dunkelphase anpassen
Kanal > (15)-Leuchte0BLK VL B36-Dimming Direction EF 0 auswählen
Wert > minimize

Rechts
Kanal > (9)-Leuchte 1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion D 1 auswählen (Blinker Vorne Rechts)
Wert auf Standlicht allgemein anpassen
Kanal > (10)-Leuchte 1BLK VRB20-Dimmwert CD 0 auswählen
Wert > (Dimmgrad in Prozent) Empfehlung 30%
Kanal > (12)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion E 1 auswählen
Wert > Blinken rechts Dunkelphase
Kanal > (15)-Leuchte0BLK VRB20-Dimming Direction EF 1 auswählen
Wert > minimize

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hello - I was recently inspired by the new Hyundai Genesis Sedan, which has amber bulbs on the interior sides of each headlight housing.

And it got me thinking - can we use the A3's front signal bulbs as DRL's instead of the LED strips? My A3 has the projector/NA Base headlights (not the full LED version). So my standard DRL is the strip, parking lights are strips+outer indicators, and turn signals are interior amber bulbs. Turning DRL's on or off is possible via MMI screen.

My question is: Can I retain all current functions, but have my interior ambers operate as front DRL's when the switch in in the off ("0") Position? Signaling would then allow the respective side to blink (along with mirrors and tails) while the other side remained on.

I don't mind the LED strips being on when the low beams are on, or parking lights, I am only interested in having amber DRL's when the switch is off. This way I could still be completely off via MMI if I wanted to.

Option 2: Can the LED strips be disabled in parking light mode, and the outer indicators be swapped for inners? It would achieve the desired effect in parking light mode this way. Just another thought.

I can upload a scan if it is needed, let me know if anyone has encountered a way to start swapping some things around. I am open to other ideas as well (alternating/out-of-phase inners/outers when signaling, etc...). Please don't post just to tell me you think the idea is stupid and that the LED strips are superior. I think the white LED line is overdone in today's market, and I have always loved amber. Again the strips look great in conjunction with the hid's/lowbeams.

-Devin

Edit: Maybe coding from the all-halogen headlights in ROW cars can be used for making my signals operate as DRL.

DBVeeDB: Sounds like you are a potential student to the emerging new field of "Leuchte Programming"! Fact is that most (all?) exterior lights on MQB platform vehicles can be re-programmed to do just about anything (within limitations). All that you have to do is learn the programming language - which isn't that hard given the limited command-set in Leuchte programing.

The changes that rlarsen posted are an example of what is possible - though I would caution that making any Leuchte changes should only be done when the complete Leuchte-set (i.e. the full 19 x adaptation channels) is described. I suggest this because the 8 x alpha channels in a Leuchte-set interact with one another, so changes should only be made if you are fully aware of the remaining functions for the lamp.

The other problem that would-be Leuchte programmers have faced (albeit, I suspect that many have not considered sufficiently) is the question of the local laws. Down here in the very deep south, we have something called the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) that determine how vehicle lights should operate. I think the guys in USA have DoT rules that do the same thing - albeit I have not been able to understand how these federal rules cohabitate with State legislation. Consideration needs to be given to these legislative instruments when altering light functions with Leuchte Programming (IMO). Sure, it's highly unlikely that the "local-plod" will be sufficiently versed in these rules to detect a breach when the car is travelling down the highway. But, when the brown-stuff-hits-the-fan (in a car accident, say) and a question arises about whether the car's lights contributed to the prang - it's best to be compliant with the local rules (IMO).

Anyhow, If you want to create your own lighting effects with Leuchte Programming, I invite you to download a short primer on the topic HERE . The document is written specifically about the mk7, but it generally applies to MQB cars - like the A3
Cheers
Don

DBVeeDB

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=243826
So you wanna make your Audi look more like a Hyundai? Really?

-Uwe-

Thanks for your contribution, not only once in this thread but twice! You don't have to like what I like, I didn't ask you to. But I am sorry my preference and curiosity to try something different has upset you to the point of replying with useless commentary. Yes - this particular single feature of a Hyundai appeals to me.

Mtl -

Yes, I have a light sensor. It controls the gauge cluster dimmer as well as Auto headlights. ( I rarely use this mode though, I either have my switch off or on) My ideal scenarios would be:

Switch at "0" - front signals as DRLS, no other lights on. Turn signals operate (flash from on to off) when turning.
Switch at "AUTO" - Normal US mode. DRL strips on, Low beams/projectors on, and outer parkers/sidemarkers on. Signals work like normal.
Switch at "parking" - Normal US mode. DRL strips on, outer parkers/sidemarkers on. Signals work like normal.
Switch at "ON" - Same as auto mode.

Honestly, I only want the front indicators on as a DRL in the off position. This way I can retain all other US functions in the other modes of the switch.

Rlarsen and DV52:

Thanks, I will get to researching and troubleshooting. Might need to run this through a translator :).

I agree on the DOT standards as far as safety goes. Since it is an indicator it still has some side visibility. And if it continues to operate as a turn signal by flashing in conjunction with mirror LEDS and tails. I don't feel the car will be any "less" visible. The fact that our DRLS can be turned off in stock form tells me that sacrificing some front end visibility with DRLS is allowed.

ineedbeer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236468
Jeez, you're way too upset, I think he's pretty funny and has a point, although I will admit that the new Hyundai Sonata is surprisingly nice looking.

First off, this is easily done with some research, I just don't remember the links off the top of my head or I would have linked you.
Second off, you're seriously going to melt things, but you can easily remedy that with LED signal bulbs (NOT ones with ballast or 'error free' as they'll generate similar heat - you can code the car to work with LED with no errors).

If you want to use the signals as DRLs, and use cool running LEDs, and you preserve your ability to signal with them, I think you're fine as far as any question of stupidity / US law (I could be wrong).

P.S.: you had said you don't really think they'll have heat issues because Xenons are in the same housing. Just to be clear, the Xenons are in a different area of the housing, and have wires designed for constant on, also Xenons generate less heat and current draw than the halogens that would otherwise be there. The wire harness that plugs into the back of the signal bulb is not designed for the heat/current draw that happens when constant-on. Stories of them melting in this car with the setting you desire have been posted on other forums.

Reactions: Uwe

DBVeeDB

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=243826
Jeez, you're way too upset, I think he's pretty funny and has a point, although I will admit that the new Hyundai Sonata is surprisingly nice looking.

I politely asked for the opposite of UWE's post, quoted below.

Please don't post just to tell me you think the idea is stupid and that the LED strips are superior.

I am not upset. He can like/dislike what he wants. But if its not constructive - why bother? It doesn't add any credibility to him on here. I just don't understand the need to put people down like that. And I agree on the sonata, but Hyundai always seems to take styling cues from other brands, so I am not surprised.

First off, this is easily done with some research, I just don't remember the links off the top of my head or I would have linked you.

I will keep looking. I am normally self sufficient, but I am just getting introduced to the VCDS thing. So I was coming on here to see if there was someone who had already discovered it.

Second off, you're seriously going to melt things, but you can easily remedy that with LED signal bulbs (NOT ones with ballast or 'error free' as they'll generate similar heat - you can code the car to work with LED with no errors).

http://www.ebay.de/itm/360939261802 So not these?

If you want to use the signals as DRLs, and use cool running LEDs, and you preserve your ability to signal with them, I think you're fine as far as any question of stupidity / US law (I could be wrong).

I agree

P.S.: you had said you don't really think they'll have heat issues because Xenons are in the same housing. Just to be clear, the Xenons are in a different area of the housing, and have wires designed for constant on, also Xenons generate less heat and current draw than the halogens that would otherwise be there. The wire harness that plugs into the back of the signal bulb is not designed for the heat/current draw that happens when constant-on. Stories of them melting in this car with the setting you desire have been posted on other forums.

I definitely agree on the wiring, I didn't think of that. If you come across those posts please link me, I'd appreciate reading into it. Xenons run cooler yes, but are a pair of signal bulbs going to generate more heat that halogen headlights? I guess I am having a hard time believing that signal bulbs get that hot, and hot enough to melt a housing. Not saying you are wrong, I am just surprised Audi would make something that susceptible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back