Volkswagen Model TDI 165-5 Marine propulsion engine

Stella

Reaction score
To decide what to buy for a perfect diagnostic kit for my VW Marine TDI engine.
This regards for a marine application and appreciate your advice for my further ordering of diagnostic tool, interface, software, all needed for diagnostic of my Volkswagen Marine TDI 165-5. This mainly to be used for troubleshooting, maintenance and parameters readings.

Engine type: Volkswagen Marine TDI 165-5, model year: 2008

Roger

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS will certainly talk to the ECU. The real question is whether the ECU requires CAN bus for communications, or whether this one is still old enough to use K-Line. Has your boat got an OBD-II style connector? If so, which pins are populated?

DLC.png

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
The Marine TDI 165-5 is a 2.5l VP-TDI (Engine Code BTW) which means our KII-USB and HEX-USB+CAN should both do the job. The diagnostic connector should be labeled accordingly, the location should be noted in the engine owners manual. Here's a scan excerpt from one... :)

Code:
Address 01: Engine
Part No: 065 906 018 G
Component: T165-5 MDC 0100SG 7285 
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00031 
Readiness: N/A

...the current version of VCDS also has TDI-Graph support for the marine engines - in case you need to adjust the injection timing. ;)

Last edited:

Stella

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice and purchase order for diagnostic connector made accordingly.

Reactions: Uwe

Keith-i

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=39049
I also have a VW marine engine (V6 3.0) which I am trying to connect to my boat network with an Arduino adaptor. All of the wiring diagrams I have seen imply it uses k-line for diagnsotics but when I connect my VCDS Hex-CAN it shows it is using KWP2000 to communicate. Presumably the VCDS suggestion of KWP is actually the accurate answer.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
KWP2000 is the software protocol, which actually uses the physical K-line.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I also have a VW marine engine (V6 3.0) which I am trying to connect to my boat network with an Arduino adaptor. All of the wiring diagrams I have seen imply it uses k-line for diagnsotics but when I connect my VCDS Hex-CAN it shows it is using KWP2000 to communicate. Presumably the VCDS suggestion of KWP is actually the accurate answer.
Although KWP2000 can also encapsulated and transported via CAN, when VCDS shows "KWP2000", it means plain KWP2000 on K-line.

-Uwe-

Keith-i

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=39049
Thanks Uwe and Dave. That makes a bit more sense to me now. With the Arduino there are code libraries for both k-line and KWP2000 so I shall try the KWP variant. Interestingly there is also a CAN network on these marine engines but it seems to be solely for communicating with the multi-function tacho unit rather than diagnostics. It is however wired to pins 3 & 11 (if my memory is correct) on the OBD connector. Maybe I'll sniff them once I'm a bit more experienced with Arduino stuff.

Back