"No response from controller" when trying to set readiness

crazyquik22023

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=206258
Update: Still having issues with the cable. Have only worked on about 4 cars with VCDS. I am pretty convinced that it is not a cable problem. I still am having the same issue. At times the program will just freeze and crash and I will loose response from controller. This seems to only happen when doing basic settings. It worked pretty good on my car last time I did anything with basic settings on it back in March (see post #17). It froze up intermittently on an 04 Passat I was working on. Worked with no problems on an 07 A4 and worked with no problems on a 99 Passat. I'm sure the vehicles have nothing to do with the problem, I was just stating them for an FYI. Was doing some work today on my 04 A4 and the problem was very bad. I could not do 1 basic setting without the program freezing. One of the times it froze the VCDS program itself just froze, (I could not click any buttons, but also did not get a "program not responding" message either.) The window of VCDS was open but it was as if the program was just not communicating at all. Other programs were working just fine at this time. I have tried re-downloading and re-installing the software numerous times. Any ideas?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Let's summarize here:

• We've sent you a different cable and that didn't fix the problem.
  • You've tried the various "flaky communications" tips I've given you.
  • You've tried different computers and that didn't fix the problem.
  • The problem only happens on certain older cars.

Is that correct?

-Uwe-

crazyquik22023

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=206258
Let's summarize here:

• We've sent you a different cable and that didn't fix the problem.
  • You've tried the various "flaky communications" tips I've given you.
  • You've tried different computers and that didn't fix the problem.
  • The problem only happens on certain older cars.

Is that correct?

-Uwe-

Yes using a new cable now, problem still occurs, I have tried the different tips you said, I have not tried running in "clean boot" mode with new cable yet, I have tried different computers, It has only happened on one of my own personal cars 04 Audi, and a 04 VW. The problem did not happen at all on an older 99 Passat I recently was working on or on an 07 Audi I was working on (this could just be coincidence though since at times the problem doesn't happen on my car either), I don't have any VW's/Audi's or work on many newer than 2008-2009.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
What happens when you try to do a single Basic Settings, say group 060 for TBA, not using the Set Readiness function? Any chance you could record a video with your phone of what's happening?

crazyquik22023

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=206258
What happens when you try to do a single Basic Settings, say group 060 for TBA, not using the Set Readiness function? Any chance you could record a video with your phone of what's happening?

Sure I can record a video. Sometimes if I do a basic settings it works ok and sometimes it will freeze the program, for example yesterday I was trying to do a basic setting for secondary air, group 077. The first time I tried it it froze the program, had to exit out of VCDS after the program crashed, then I restarted VCDS, went to do basic settings again on group 077 and it completed the basic setting just fine. It seems to happen more often when trying to set readiness when it goes through several basic settings at once. I will take a video later on today and post it.

crazyquik22023

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=206258
Here is a video. I actually hooked the cable to the car, started the program and it started acting up right away. You will see it load and then loose response from controller. I was hardly able to even go into faults or anything this time without it freezing up. If I exited out of the module, and restarted VCDS it would most likely work better for a while and allow me to go into basic settings, etc. I can get a more detailed video if needed of it when I get into basic settings. https://www.flickr.com/photos/133461930@N04/shares/35D7Fr

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How about other modules in the same car? Is it only the ECU, or other modules too?

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Here is a video. I actually hooked the cable to the car, started the program and it started acting up right away. You will see it load and then loose response from controller. I was hardly able to even go into faults or anything this time without it freezing up.
I have seen something similar to the behavior in that video before, also on KWP 2000 modules. Try checking both of the 'Reduce CPU' checkboxes in the Options menu, and then retry.

Jason

Last edited:

crazyquik22023

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=206258
I have seen something similar to the behavior in that video before, also on KWP 2000 modules. Try checking both of the 'Reduce CPU' checkboxes in the Options menu, and then retry.

Jason

Jason, That seems to have worked. I tried to do several basic settings with no issues. I will keep trying to duplicate the issue the next couple of days and see if I can get it to freeze up again. That would be very cool if it was such a simple fix. Thanks for the help. :thumbs:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Hey Eric, it's not just my snowflakes! :p

Jason, That seems to have worked. I tried to do several basic settings with no issues. I will keep trying to duplicate the issue the next couple of days and see if I can get it to freeze up again. That would be very cool if it was such a simple fix. Thanks for the help. :thumbs:
If it's similar to what I experienced, VCDS Beta 16 may also work for you with normal default settings. If you have time, a list of the cars you had trouble with (ideally with Auto Scans) and some detailed information about the computers you're using would be appreciated. If not, there is probably no harm in leaving those settings on.

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It still makes no sense to me that those settings can have a positive effect in such cases, and I'm intimately familiar with the code those setting affect. Yes, it's that old. Then again, those were simpler times. Back then, the only way you gut multiple cores was to have multiple sockets on your motherboard -- and yes, I had 'em.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
It still makes no sense to me that those settings can have a positive effect in such cases, and I'm intimately familiar with the code those setting affect.
We here in the self-appointed Department of Diagnostic Quality Assurance, Mid-2000s Luxobarge Division have little concrete to offer on why it helps. What little we do have, together with some logical reasoning and a dash of jumping to conclusions, leads us to believe it's not failing internally to VCDS.EXE but something else that VCDS.EXE may be starving of runtime.

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

crazyquik22023

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=206258
Update: Tried using my cable on an 05 passat today. I tried setting readiness first with the KWP-1281 and KWP-2000 not selected. The program froze up after going through a few basic settings. I then tried it with the KWP-1281 and KWP-2000 selected I was able to go through all basic settings with no problems. I actually stayed connected to the car for around 15-20 mins doing some diagnostics and the program didn't freeze up one time. Hopefully this info helps others who might be working with the older VAG vehicles. Thanks Uwe and thanks jyoung for the help.

jimbob-in-co

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6348
No response from controller - fixed for W7 on MBP w/VMWare

Hey I'd like to chime in on this thread. I was getting a "No response from controller" and I was able to get it working.

Windows 7 on a Mac Book Pro and VMWare. (I know, not supported...but that is what I have)

I could get into some of the other modules, but not the ECU (01).

I plugged the MBP in and it worked like a charm. I think the combination of battery-saving mode in the MBP (the battery was at 40%) and the CPU allocation to the W7 VM was just too slow and W7 was dropping bits from the interface. This is probably why they don't support VMs.

So I'd encourage folks to make sure your machine is running as fast as possible.

Back