Status
Not open for further replies.

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
hi guys dose any one know which way to turn or position the cam gear which has a adjuster on it. or if their is an article on it.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yup........

It's static ........turns no where...... due to being spring loaded and freewheels when being setup with stretch bolt, loose under center cap of gear and with a cam lock bar on other side holding timing position.

Set belt at TDC on crank and tensioner then verify lock on cam and then tighten the stretch bolt ........ Recap!

DONE!

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
even though its locked u can still turn the gear five to seven notches. do u need to to turn the gear clock wise before you put the belt on

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Nope,....... just drain all oil In gear and it should be installed static stop from internal spring retaining base position.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sounds like you may not have the center stretch bolt loose

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
no i just did a head job because the of belt. had the cam gear off to r&r the seal. the manual says to push the pins thru to lock the cam gear in place. i dont see a way to lock the mechanism. or maybe im miss interpreting it

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
or the spring is dead on my unit

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Easy enough to verify .........The pin seats to lock base point, when spring returns based on no oil PSI.

There is no repair manual for inside the gear and I have never had one fail.

I have taken it apart to document though and it is not very complex inside.

Usually the big mistake starts when people start painting marks to short cut or fail to change or tighten the stretch bolt to yield point properly.

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
thanks jack

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
one last question, with the cam gear attached to the cam and torqued and the t belt off the gear im able to move the cam gear back and forth about 7 notches. is that normal. identifix says it shouldn't move at all

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It is normal.......because residual oil prevents the gear from going back fully too the seated base position, which is why I state to drain it or pull adjuster valve in head at rear and relieve the oil gallery hydrostatic lock.

Really all you have to do is take that stretch bolt out under center cap, and not give a shit about this, because the cam is locked and the freewheel position is not a factor.
It is not a rubix cube but is often observed this way like CIS fuel injection being timed when it isn't.

What you are going to have is a bad time with is........... not changing that stretch bolt, or playing paint the mark, and letting the cam gear xylophone the valves when cam control takes over.

Sometimes an asshole installs the wrong oil pump in this engine and makes the motor short lived.
It is not an 06A pump like many think and has double the volume capacity to operate this stupid cam gear..........

You can watch me torcher this guy on this thread about laws of physics in Vortex by searching "GolfRS big turbo thread."

A fun read..........

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
ok guys this one is finally fixed. I don't know if I gave enough info. like I stated before we did r&r the head for bent valves, six teeth were stripped from t belt which striked the piston and damaged the valves, but also it damaged the cam actuator. jack you gave me the confidence to open the actuator up where I found the square piece that attaches to the spring had turned one slot counter clock wise and that was the reason that the unit was not locking. I assuming when the belt jumped or broke the cam was still turning when the piston striked the valve and damaged the actuator. sorry for not taking pics of the unit, did not see any other damage. unless for some reason the actuator turned 90 degrees and caused the damage. for know im using the old actuator. when you tighten the cam bolt it should only rock the play of the locking pin that's built into the actuator unit. at $558 I don't think I will r&r.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
We have pictures of this thing inside, if you want to post to compare...........

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
can u post the picture with the square piece connected to the spring. on the square piece, please note the one corner that has an indentation.

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
Ok this car is back and the cam gear is wobbly not true. Any one have a good used unit. When the t belt breaks it also damages the cam gear. If u have a good used unit let me know how much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back