Laggy response when releasing throttle 2.0T CCZ engine

minke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=259653
Thanks

The tech didn't know the group numbers but knew the G references. They agree that it isn't right but their only solution is to start swapping out parts (ECU, sensors etc...) to chase it down.

Monday (4 days time) VW are taking the car for an extended period of time to solve this issue. Before it departs should I do anything with VCDS? Perhaps a before and after scan? Anything else?

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
It would be interesting, if as well as an Auto-Scan of before and after, you could do a Controller Channels Map of Adaptation values in the ECU before and after too.

minke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=259653
Would you like for me to post it up now? The pre-data

dag_ltd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271191
Hi.

I know this is an old post and you've probably fixed this issue by now but I have had this exact problem with the same engine type.
Basically the problem was the throttle body itself.

I think the problem is/was caused by the engines stratified fuel mode. The throttle body goes into the fully open position when stratified fuelling is taking place, and the torque output is controlled by the fuel injectors, like in a diesel engine.
This, I guess, wears the throttle body quickly and 'sticking' occurs?

Problems like this are a nightmare!
I hope you this helps or you have sorted!

Rob

minke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=259653
Hi.

I know this is an old post and you've probably fixed this issue by now but I have had this exact problem with the same engine type.
Basically the problem was the throttle body itself.

I think the problem is/was caused by the engines stratified fuel mode. The throttle body goes into the fully open position when stratified fuelling is taking place, and the torque output is controlled by the fuel injectors, like in a diesel engine.
This, I guess, wears the throttle body quickly and 'sticking' occurs?

Problems like this are a nightmare!
I hope you this helps or you have sorted!

Rob

Hi Rob,

No I don't have is fixed yet. The car is going back to the dealer tomorrow and they're doing a live data gathering session with HQ. The tech is in the car with the laptop and the data is uploaded to HQ as they go. According to the tech, the Ross-Tech cable can show live data whereas they're locked out from that (apparently).

How can they test your theory? what can they do to prove it. They tell me that while there is no error they cannot just replace parts to try stuff. VW will make them wear the costs.

Uwe - What do you think of Rob's post?

Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe - What do you think of Rob's post?
Well, I thought that based on the data you've already logged, that you had concluded that the throttle valve was responding properly to torque requests..?

I was also under the impression that VW abandoned the aggressive stratified strategy about a decade ago...:confused:

-Uwe-

minke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=259653
Well, I thought that based on the data you've already logged, that you had concluded that the throttle valve was responding properly to torque requests..?

I was also under the impression that VW abandoned the aggressive stratified strategy about a decade ago...:confused:

-Uwe-

Uwe - I see the value change instant based on me stepping onto the throttle pedal. Is that enough?

dag_ltd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271191
It was quite a while ago this job came in, over 12 months ago, but if I remember correctly when the throttle body was off you could make it stick by moving the throttle plate with your hand. It's a bit of a faff to get the throttle body off as its bolted to the underside of the inlet manifold, otherwise would be a good quick check to do.

The guy who owned the car had real problems in traffic as it was difficult to stop the car when creeping forward a few feet.

Maybe you/they could swap one from a car with no faults? sounds like trail and error is going to be your only route.

Let us know how you get on?

minke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=259653
It was quite a while ago this job came in, over 12 months ago, but if I remember correctly when the throttle body was off you could make it stick by moving the throttle plate with your hand. It's a bit of a faff to get the throttle body off as its bolted to the underside of the inlet manifold, otherwise would be a good quick check to do.

The guy who owned the car had real problems in traffic as it was difficult to stop the car when creeping forward a few feet.

Maybe you/they could swap one from a car with no faults? sounds like trail and error is going to be your only route.

Let us know how you get on?

The dealer has had the car now for a solid 4 weeks. Prior to that I was to/from the dealer multiple times. As a guess they decided to replace the clutch switch. They're continuing to test however feel that it has resolved the issue.

How? what's the link do you think?

minke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=259653
They felt the issue was fixed after installing a new clutch switch. I just got the car back, still same issue.

minke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=259653
Hello one and all - This is the response I've received from VAG regarding my issue. I don't believe it. Please comment if you have a reason to believe it's BS

The explanation provided to us-

The vehicle speed(engine RPM) staying held for 2-3 seconds after throttle pedal is released.

The Phenomenon being experienced is part of the vehicles Torque Controlled engine management system. The system generates a specific torque according to external (gearbox shift point, traction control system, engine braking control, the air conditioning system and the cruise control system)and internal (start-up, catalytic convertor heating, idle speed control, power limitation, speed limitation and lambda control) torque demands. The control of the throttle valve angle, charge pressure, ignition timing and emission (Lambda) control are what are keeping the engine RPM at the noted figure for the two to three second period. This is of a series standard with no fault in the sense of vehicle functionality.

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
Can you please tell me what kind of fuel u r using?! I know the most popular is cheapest 91 octane but you should use 98 in that car. Injection maps and complete torque management are affected with wrong type of fuel inside.

minke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=259653
Can you please tell me what kind of fuel u r using?! I know the most popular is cheapest 91 octane but you should use 98 in that car. Injection maps and complete torque management are affected with wrong type of fuel inside.

Most definitely 98. In Australia you can get 91, 95 and 98. the Golf GTI manual says minimum 95. I have only ever used 98 and 95% of fills are BP.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Hello one and all - This is the response I've received from VAG regarding my issue. I don't believe it. Please comment if you have a reason to believe it's BS

It's a VW.

It's Broken.

It's Normal.

:D

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
If you have tool to read ECU and scope to capture real time signals and voltages on the car we can make some case study over TV so you can go to stealership and have physical evidence to throw at them :D

And I can modify injection map and adjust it so you can confirm is it SW issue or HW .

minke

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=259653
If you have tool to read ECU and scope to capture real time signals and voltages on the car we can make some case study over TV so you can go to stealership and have physical evidence to throw at them :D

And I can modify injection map and adjust it so you can confirm is it SW issue or HW .

I've got the Ross-Tech VAGCOM tool. Is this enough ?

Back