Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Random Photos

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know this isn't strickly speaking in keeping with the intent of this thread, but here is the winner of Australia’s most prestigious astrophotography award (I'm sure that all forum members are familiar with the David Malin Awards)

"Crescent Moon at Lake Oberon", taken by Luke Tscharke - IMO, a stunning example of what can be done with a digital SLR camera in extremely small light conditions - I'm green with envy (photographer even included a meteorite on the RHS)!!

Don

PS: Lake Oberon, sometimes called "Oberon Dam" is in New South Wales - middle of the country on the eastern side of Australia
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

2. Likes NZDubNurd, Uwe, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    I know this isn't strickly speaking in keeping with the intent of this thread, but here is the winner of Australia’s most prestigious astrophotography award
    OK, than I'll let it slide.

TBH though, I'm not that impressed with the quality of the pic you posted. It seems a bit fuzzy, as though someone reduced it it size and then blew it up a bit again. So I went and looked for other versions. There aren't a lot of 'em, but this one strikes me as likely truer to whatever the original looks like. I see more detail in it despite the fact that it's a bit bit smaller.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Thanks for indulging my penchant for the Malin Awards. As to whether the pic is true-to-life, there's only one way to be sure - you will just have to make a trip down to NSW and see the lake for yourself (you won't be disappointed)!!

Don

PS: I reckon that the crisp-ness of the pic ain't too bad - remembering the length of time that the shutter needs to remain open in these low light conditions - still you might be a more discerning judge of these things than me
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Post Thanks / Like
    3 semi random photos from Finland... Samsung S7 phone:

Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

7. Likes jyoung8607, Andy, Uwe, NZDubNurd, Da Tow'd and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went to a park today. Found this cool barn.

Taken with a Moto G5 Plus.

9. Likes Uwe, Boki Ar, NZDubNurd, Da Tow'd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, surprised how well my phone handled this close up:

Moto G5 Plus

11. Likes Uwe, Boki Ar liked this post