Random Photos

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I know this isn't strickly speaking in keeping with the intent of this thread, but here is the winner of Australia’s most prestigious astrophotography award (I'm sure that all forum members are familiar with the David Malin Awards)

"Crescent Moon at Lake Oberon", taken by Luke Tscharke - IMO, a stunning example of what can be done with a digital SLR camera in extremely small light conditions - I'm green with envy (photographer even included a meteorite on the RHS)!!

1531561827-star-snaps-winner-1-960x540.png

Don

PS: Lake Oberon, sometimes called "Oberon Dam" is in New South Wales - middle of the country on the eastern side of Australia

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I know this isn't strickly speaking in keeping with the intent of this thread, but here is the winner of Australia’s most prestigious astrophotography award
OK, than I'll let it slide. :)

TBH though, I'm not that impressed with the quality of the pic you posted. It seems a bit fuzzy, as though someone reduced it it size and then blew it up a bit again. So I went and looked for other versions. There aren't a lot of 'em, but this one strikes me as likely truer to whatever the original looks like. I see more detail in it despite the fact that it's a bit bit smaller.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^ Thanks for indulging my penchant for the Malin Awards. As to whether the pic is true-to-life, there's only one way to be sure - you will just have to make a trip down to NSW and see the lake for yourself (you won't be disappointed)!!

Don

PS: I reckon that the crisp-ness of the pic ain't too bad - remembering the length of time that the shutter needs to remain open in these low light conditions - still you might be a more discerning judge of these things than me

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Peter, that looks like somebody is about to do a nuke test out in the desert while people wearing sunglasses smile and stare it at from unsafe distances.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Google in their beneficent wisdom invited me to view some pictures I had taken a year ago today. It turned out to be the day I moved my black 2004 Phaeton V8 parts car into the garage for phase 1 of its teardown.

I present a case study for your consideration: THE DOUBLE JUMP

2004-phaeton-jump-1.jpg

2004-phaeton-jump-2.jpg

The parts car had a dead VPS battery and the start battery was pyro-isolated. Turns out that combo is tough to start in the cold.

You're really supposed to jump-start these things from the under-hood terminals dedicated to that purpose, but the car didn't seem to want to wake up when supplied from that point. Not sure what's up with that; the pyro isolator shouldn't have affected that directly. I theorize there still needs to be enough juice in the VPS battery get 05/71 to do their switching/redundancy magic, and there wasn't.

So I tried jumping to the VPS battery in the back. What was I gonna do, break it? That woke the car up, and paralleling got power up to the starter, but not quite enough to get the engine to turn over. Battery too dead to help, sitting too long, too cold out, Chinesium jumper cables, whatever. The car was too far from my garage to conveniently hook up a battery charger in situ, and the electrolyte was probably frozen anyway, and I didn't feel like pulling it out.

Solution: 1000mg of Fukitol followed by front AND back jumpers. Fired right up. RT can go ahead and sticky this in How-Tos and Tips now. ;)

Bonus pic of supervising dog:

2004-phaeton-jump-3.jpg

This is Libby, one of our two Dachsunds. Due to certain aspects of her species-gender combination, age, body-mass index, general attitude and outlook on life, she also responds to "fat lazy bitch". She came out to see what I was doing in the garage, and decided to hop right on in. She thought it was time to go for a ride. I explained that this car doesn't go for rides anymore. I don't think she understood. You've never really felt like an asshole until you've disappointed your dog. :cry:

Taken with Potato-Cam™: my phone at the time, Samsung Galaxy S7 Active with a busted glass cover over the lens.

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Ross Mountain ice storm ... taken with iPhone 6Splus.

Andy: Are you serious - there is actually a "Ross Mountain"? I had assumed (mistakenly it would appear) that the RT conglomerate was only a modest enterprise. I would never have guessed that Uwe's political and community influence extended to having a mountain named after his family name!!

Wow- does Ross Mountain have an air-strip for the RT-air fleet of jets too?;)

Don

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Andy: Are you serious - there is actually a "Ross Mountain"? I had assumed (mistakenly it would appear) that the RT conglomerate was only a modest enterprise. I would never have guessed that Uwe's political and community influence extended to having a mountain named after his family name!!
He's got a place there! ;)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The name "Ross Mountain" is a standing joke. I only own the south side of the mountain. And it's not really a mountain. I mean it has trees at the very top, and that top is only about 900 meters above sea level, so it's really more of a hill. :)

Wow- does Ross Mountain have an air-strip for the RT-air fleet of jets too?;)
No, there's nothing flat enough to make an air strip out of. :(

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
The name "Ross Mountain" is a standing joke. I only own the south side of the mountain. And it's not really a mountain. I mean it has trees at the very top, and that top is only about 900 meters above sea level, so it's really more of a hill. :)

I am to blame for the name Ross Mountain. When Uwe bought his land in Virginia and invited me to the place to see it knowing how much I love the woods and such, I commented something about the place and being "Ross Mountain". It gives an easy handle for referring to the cabin in the woods of Virginia. But it also brings a smile to Uwe's face. I think he likes the idea of owning a mountain... Maybe some day he will have the privilege of naming it for real. Never say never!

Do note - even at 900 meters, it's a substantial hill. One can name things however one wants when the "paid in full" property deed is in hand! Just pointing out that Ross Hill does not roll from the tongue with the same prestige as Ross Mountain. Ross Knob? Ross Farm? Ross Woods? None of those are quite the same to me.

Those of us who have been privileged to be allowed to play (hunt, vacation, play) on the Mountain certainly appreciate the privilege. Thanks boss and most especially, thanks Mrs Boss! :) (After all, Mrs Boss lets boss buy the place! and also allows the odd balls on the RT staff to play there.)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^ That spot looks vaguely familiar.

-Uwe-

PS: Go back tomorrow morning and see how much the beach changes from day to day! ;)

Back