Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Random Photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Surreal light outside RTHQ

Galaxy S6, Lineage OS camera app
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Ross Mountain ice storm ... taken with iPhone 6Splus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Google in their beneficent wisdom invited me to view some pictures I had taken a year ago today. It turned out to be the day I moved my black 2004 Phaeton V8 parts car into the garage for phase 1 of its teardown.

I present a case study for your consideration: THE DOUBLE JUMP

The parts car had a dead VPS battery and the start battery was pyro-isolated. Turns out that combo is tough to start in the cold.

You're really supposed to jump-start these things from the under-hood terminals dedicated to that purpose, but the car didn't seem to want to wake up when supplied from that point. Not sure what's up with that; the pyro isolator shouldn't have affected that directly. I theorize there still needs to be enough juice in the VPS battery get 05/71 to do their switching/redundancy magic, and there wasn't.

So I tried jumping to the VPS battery in the back. What was I gonna do, break it? That woke the car up, and paralleling got power up to the starter, but not quite enough to get the engine to turn over. Battery too dead to help, sitting too long, too cold out, Chinesium jumper cables, whatever. The car was too far from my garage to conveniently hook up a battery charger in situ, and the electrolyte was probably frozen anyway, and I didn't feel like pulling it out.

Solution: 1000mg of Fukitol followed by front AND back jumpers. Fired right up. RT can go ahead and sticky this in How-Tos and Tips now.

Bonus pic of supervising dog:

This is Libby, one of our two Dachsunds. Due to certain aspects of her species-gender combination, age, body-mass index, general attitude and outlook on life, she also responds to "fat lazy bitch". She came out to see what I was doing in the garage, and decided to hop right on in. She thought it was time to go for a ride. I explained that this car doesn't go for rides anymore. I don't think she understood. You've never really felt like an asshole until you've disappointed your dog.

Taken with Potato-Cam™: my phone at the time, Samsung Galaxy S7 Active with a busted glass cover over the lens.
    Last edited by jyoung8607; 01-03-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    Silence gives consent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Arth, Switzerland, today.

Photo by: N. Melnicki
    Cam: SM T-310

5. Likes Andy, jyoung8607, Uwe, Santos liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Ross Mountain ice storm ... taken with iPhone 6Splus.
    Andy: Are you serious - there is actually a "Ross Mountain"? I had assumed (mistakenly it would appear) that the RT conglomerate was only a modest enterprise. I would never have guessed that Uwe's political and community influence extended to having a mountain named after his family name!!

Wow- does Ross Mountain have an air-strip for the RT-air fleet of jets too?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Andy: Are you serious - there is actually a "Ross Mountain"? I had assumed (mistakenly it would appear) that the RT conglomerate was only a modest enterprise. I would never have guessed that Uwe's political and community influence extended to having a mountain named after his family name!!
    He's got a place there!

Silence gives consent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The name "Ross Mountain" is a standing joke. I only own the south side of the mountain. And it's not really a mountain. I mean it has trees at the very top, and that top is only about 900 meters above sea level, so it's really more of a hill.

Wow- does Ross Mountain have an air-strip for the RT-air fleet of jets too?
    No, there's nothing flat enough to make an air strip out of.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

9. Likes PetrolDave, DV52, Bruce, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    The name "Ross Mountain" is a standing joke. I only own the south side of the mountain. And it's not really a mountain. I mean it has trees at the very top, and that top is only about 900 meters above sea level, so it's really more of a hill.
    I am to blame for the name Ross Mountain. When Uwe bought his land in Virginia and invited me to the place to see it knowing how much I love the woods and such, I commented something about the place and being "Ross Mountain". It gives an easy handle for referring to the cabin in the woods of Virginia. But it also brings a smile to Uwe's face. I think he likes the idea of owning a mountain... Maybe some day he will have the privilege of naming it for real. Never say never!

Do note - even at 900 meters, it's a substantial hill. One can name things however one wants when the "paid in full" property deed is in hand! Just pointing out that Ross Hill does not roll from the tongue with the same prestige as Ross Mountain. Ross Knob? Ross Farm? Ross Woods? None of those are quite the same to me.

Those of us who have been privileged to be allowed to play (hunt, vacation, play) on the Mountain certainly appreciate the privilege. Thanks boss and most especially, thanks Mrs Boss! (After all, Mrs Boss lets boss buy the place! and also allows the odd balls on the RT staff to play there.)

11. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe, DV52, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A study in beach photographer photography
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Silence gives consent.

13. Likes Boki Ar, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ^^ That spot looks vaguely familiar.

-Uwe-

PS: Go back tomorrow morning and see how much the beach changes from day to day!
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

15. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post