Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251466
I checked the wiring harness, and found no damage. I also took the plug (G108) apart and cleaned all the contacts. It only lasted for a day and the error returned.
18630 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1
P2198 - 000 - Signal too High (Rich) - Intermittent

What else should I look at? The MAF sensor maybe? EGR valve? I'm grasping at straws here!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A long, long time ago, I had a 1989 GTI 16V, engine code PL. It had CIS-E, and wasn't capable of any diagnostics. There were times when it would run like crap (distinct lack of torque) at low RPM and the idle sounded different when it was doing that. Some sleuthing determined it was retarding the timing substantially when in that mode. Must be a bad knock sensor.. Got a new one. Fixed the problem. For a short time. Then it started coming back. I found I could fix the problem temporarily every time by plugging and unplugging the knock sensor. Eventually determined the problem wasn't the sensor itself, but the connector. Unplug, re-plug and it would make a good connection -- for a while.

Just food for thought...

-Uwe-

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
For improving contacts you may want to look into investing in these products

Stabilant 22, 5ml Kit Makes 30ml of 22A - 22

CAIG DeOxIT D100 Power Booster Metal Electric Connection Cleaner, Enhancer, and Lubricant

Reactions: Uwe

Spyker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251466
I also thought its't plug related. But I took the plug apart an cleaned all the contacts? Maybe I should just buy a new plug from VW and splice it in, apparently comes with a length of wire attached.

Last edited:

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
For improving contacts you may want to look into investing in these products

Stabilant 22, 5ml Kit Makes 30ml of 22A - 22

CAIG DeOxIT D100 Power Booster Metal Electric Connection Cleaner, Enhancer, and Lubricant

This is really good stuff.

We use the DeOxit stuff reguarly at work, and one place we use it everytime, in an RCA type plug used in an ultrasonic fluid sensor arrangement:

If we reseat the plugs a couple of times, then adjust to the correct test levels, after then spraying with DeOxit, we have to adjust again, because this shit works SOOO well! We have some seriously sensitive medical electronics, and that's the stuff we use, so it should be fine on a poxy VW :D

Spyker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251466
I *think* I've solved my O2 sensor issues and the hard brake pedal. Seeing as I have a new sensor in I know something else was misbehaving. The hard brake pedal pointed to a vacuum leak and I figured this might cause the EGR valve to behave erratically. I started tracing the vacuum lines but could not find anything thing wrong. I then checked the N18 solenoid that controls the EGR valve.

Bingo! Although the solenoid valve itself was working the pipe that connects to the vacuum pump was connected to the wrong nipple. It is supposed to connect to the bottom nipple according to the ETKA diagram but this pipe was connected to the top, causing it to suck air the whole time through the little round filter thingy, no. 27 on the diagram. I swopped it around and now I can stop on a dime!
Went for a long drive today and the O2 issue did not rear its head again. I'm hoping this will fix it.

attachment.php

I can only assume it was connected to the wrong nipple when the engine was reinstalled after the turbos were changed by the previous owner.

EDIT: Luckily I kept the 2 O2 sensors I took out so I at least I have a spare set for the left and right bank.

Spyker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251466
By the way, when are we getting a label file for the V10 engine? :)

Reactions: Uwe

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
As Uwe would say: When it's done. :)

Spyker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251466
I'm fine with that, but what can I do to help? These engines have been out for over 10 years now! :)

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Short version, having access to data isn't so much the issue for me/us but making it accessible in a usable way to our customers simply takes time. Besides all other stuff going on I did have a few projects which were very much delayed - in case of the V10 to an extreme which isn't even funny anymore. So if you can find...

- a native German speaker who is also fluent in technical English (or vice versa)
- ideally with an automotive background
- trustworthy too
- local to me

...I might be able to find a spot for him/her. :)

Last edited:

Spyker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251466
I can help then! I'm fluent in German. For the record, my name is Dietrich!

Edit: Ah crap, I missed the local to you bit. I'm still willing to help though if you need it.

Last edited:

Spyker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251466
I *think* I've solved my O2 sensor issues and the hard brake pedal. Seeing as I have a new sensor in I know something else was misbehaving. The hard brake pedal pointed to a vacuum leak and I figured this might cause the EGR valve to behave erratically. I started tracing the vacuum lines but could not find anything thing wrong. I then checked the N18 solenoid that controls the EGR valve.

Bingo! Although the solenoid valve itself was working the pipe that connects to the vacuum pump was connected to the wrong nipple. It is supposed to connect to the bottom nipple according to the ETKA diagram but this pipe was connected to the top, causing it to suck air the whole time through the little round filter thingy, no. 27 on the diagram. I swopped it around and now I can stop on a dime!
Went for a long drive today and the O2 issue did not rear its head again. I'm hoping this will fix it.

attachment.php

I can only assume it was connected to the wrong nipple when the engine was reinstalled after the turbos were changed by the previous owner.

EDIT: Luckily I kept the 2 O2 sensors I took out so I at least I have a spare set for the left and right bank.

I'm happy to report that the intermittent O2 sensor issue is finally gone! It's been a week with no limp mode!! :thumbs:
Fixing the vacuum leak definitely fixed the EGR valve behaving erratically. So m advice to other Touareg owners is to check for any vacuum leaks first before you start throwing money at the problem by buying new sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back