Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM BiXenons on 2012 GLI (byte 18 help)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

OEM BiXenons on 2012 GLI (byte 18 help)

Hello ross tech forums. I recnetly purchased a pair of North American BiXenons with LED DRLs to retrofit my 2012 GLI Autobahn without Nav. Long story short I tocuehd the dreaded byte 18. The DRLs on the xenkns never did turn on but normal beam and highs would turn on without coding.

Now I still have the halogen lights, but no halogen DRLs come on, and the interior tail lights aren't on unless I'm braking. I cleared the error codes (wish I hadn't). Now I'm just trying to get the car back to stock, halogen DRLs on with the tail light as factory. Or learn the coding to get the BiXenons working without all the sensors (afs etc) installed.

I changed the drop down in byte 18 and that's that started this. I tried to do the recode trick (coding to 00, key, locking doorks etc) but that didn't work. Sort of at a loss right now.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Might be helpful for you to post an Auto-Scan and state what kind of headlights the car had to begin with.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you psuvr6 from Vortex?
    Almost the exact same circumstances were presented in a thread on vortex by psuvr6.

If you click on this link:

http://www.pjruane.com/jm/Byte18.pdf

You'll be brought to a list of many different codes to try in byte 18.
    This isn't all of them but it's enough to get you started.

You'll find as I did that coding byte 18 is very specific to the region your vehicle is in, the model and the original equipment along with the mods/retrofits you've performed.
    I found that what worked for others didn't for me.
    You may just have to go through the list and do some trial and error.
    Be sure to check everything regarding the performance of the lights before deeming a code to be working.

Good luck

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubFamily View Post
    Almost the exact same circumstances were presented in a thread on vortex by psuvr6.

You'll find as I did that coding byte 18 is very specific to the region your vehicle is in, the model and the original equipment along with the mods/retrofits you've performed.
    Be sure to check everything regarding the performance of the lights before deeming a code to be working.

Good luck
    I ALSO had good luck with this list... U just have to try

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey VeeDub yes it is me, same person. Thought i'd try to get help here.

I can't get an autoscan right now. I do have an autoscan i took of every controller. And this is when i had a bunch of light errors (DRL Errors, Headlight Errors). This is when i chose the C01 reset option on the byte 18 drop-down. I then cleared those codes, so my scan of 09 actually comes out clean. Though DRLS (Halogen which is what came with the car) and inner taillights (halogen again) don't come on.

Someone told me to try byte 50 from Vortex, i will try it when i get home.

I saw that PDF but i just don't know how to read it properly.

It sounds like there is a fix though, that it's not irreversible correct?

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubFamily View Post

Good luck

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try all HEX number in byte 18 in 09 cent elec. Like 84, 7D etc

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    HEX? You mean just try all the numbers in general in that list? Or certain numbers i should be looking for. If im going through all these, will it brick my CECM?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    DEC is the first numer... and HEX is the second one. With both letters and numbers. Or just number. U have to change byte 18 in 09.. try all the HEX. No. I don't think u can brick something

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    People who bricked their BCMs started to test all the possible HEX combinations, without using the list.

I would start by using Jetta MK5/6 or Golf MK6 codes (VW351, VW360, VW361) and then other VW codes. Other brands codes are also there (AU, SE, SK, R8 - Audi, Seat, Skoda and Audi R8), I don't think they would work but who knows.

For example I made my 2012 GLI with halogen fronts work with OEM LED tail lights using HEX 53 (but lights where wired differently than OEM), and that code is for a VW EOS, VW465.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well looks like some good news. I started with a suggestion to code to 90, that got my lights operational but gave me a rear fog error. So i used. Started trial and error, and went with 8D, which got everything and no DTCs after clear. Not sure its the factory code, but it seems to have the cecm (as well as me) happy

12. Likes LasseTheDude, Uwe liked this post