OEM BiXenons on 2012 GLI (byte 18 help)

sbvr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=186325
Hello ross tech forums. I recnetly purchased a pair of North American BiXenons with LED DRLs to retrofit my 2012 GLI Autobahn without Nav. Long story short I tocuehd the dreaded byte 18. The DRLs on the xenkns never did turn on but normal beam and highs would turn on without coding.

Now I still have the halogen lights, but no halogen DRLs come on, and the interior tail lights aren't on unless I'm braking. I cleared the error codes (wish I hadn't). Now I'm just trying to get the car back to stock, halogen DRLs on with the tail light as factory. Or learn the coding to get the BiXenons working without all the sensors (afs etc) installed.

I changed the drop down in byte 18 and that's that started this. I tried to do the recode trick (coding to 00, key, locking doorks etc) but that didn't work. Sort of at a loss right now.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Might be helpful for you to post an Auto-Scan and state what kind of headlights the car had to begin with.

-Uwe-

VeeDubFamily

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238554
Are you psuvr6 from Vortex?
Almost the exact same circumstances were presented in a thread on vortex by psuvr6.

If you click on this link:

http://www.pjruane.com/jm/Byte18.pdf

You'll be brought to a list of many different codes to try in byte 18.
This isn't all of them but it's enough to get you started.

You'll find as I did that coding byte 18 is very specific to the region your vehicle is in, the model and the original equipment along with the mods/retrofits you've performed.
I found that what worked for others didn't for me.
You may just have to go through the list and do some trial and error.
Be sure to check everything regarding the performance of the lights before deeming a code to be working.

Good luck

Reactions: Uwe

LasseTheDude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247880
Almost the exact same circumstances were presented in a thread on vortex by psuvr6.

You'll find as I did that coding byte 18 is very specific to the region your vehicle is in, the model and the original equipment along with the mods/retrofits you've performed.
Be sure to check everything regarding the performance of the lights before deeming a code to be working.

Good luck

I ALSO had good luck with this list... U just have to try :)

sbvr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=186325
Hey VeeDub yes it is me, same person. Thought i'd try to get help here.

I can't get an autoscan right now. I do have an autoscan i took of every controller. And this is when i had a bunch of light errors (DRL Errors, Headlight Errors). This is when i chose the C01 reset option on the byte 18 drop-down. I then cleared those codes, so my scan of 09 actually comes out clean. Though DRLS (Halogen which is what came with the car) and inner taillights (halogen again) don't come on.

Someone told me to try byte 50 from Vortex, i will try it when i get home.

I saw that PDF but i just don't know how to read it properly.

It sounds like there is a fix though, that it's not irreversible correct?

Good luck

LasseTheDude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247880
Try all HEX number in byte 18 in 09 cent elec. :) Like 84, 7D etc

sbvr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=186325
HEX? You mean just try all the numbers in general in that list? Or certain numbers i should be looking for. If im going through all these, will it brick my CECM?

LasseTheDude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247880
DEC is the first numer... and HEX is the second one. :) With both letters and numbers. Or just number. U have to change byte 18 in 09.. try all the HEX. No. I don't think u can brick something :)

csalvarr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=243709
People who bricked their BCMs started to test all the possible HEX combinations, without using the list.

I would start by using Jetta MK5/6 or Golf MK6 codes (VW351, VW360, VW361) and then other VW codes. Other brands codes are also there (AU, SE, SK, R8 - Audi, Seat, Skoda and Audi R8), I don't think they would work but who knows.

For example I made my 2012 GLI with halogen fronts work with OEM LED tail lights using HEX 53 (but lights where wired differently than OEM), and that code is for a VW EOS, VW465.

sbvr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=186325
Well looks like some good news. I started with a suggestion to code to 90, that got my lights operational but gave me a rear fog error. So i used. Started trial and error, and went with 8D, which got everything and no DTCs after clear. Not sure its the factory code, but it seems to have the cecm (as well as me) happy

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Reactions: Uwe

sbvr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=186325
How do I autoscan just 09?

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
How do I autoscan just 09?

- That would not be considered an Auto-Scan.

The VCDS Auto-Scan function scans each controller in the vehicle to retrieve controller information.

- Have a look at the Ross-Tech interactive user manual for more information about VCDS.

Auto Scan

Displaying, coping, printing single control unit fault codes and be done on the Fault Code screen of VCDS.

The above does not provide all the information that an Auto-Scan will provide and when attempting to help with the diagnoses of a vehicle, the Complete Vehicle Auto-Scan tells the whole story, which in most cases is important because so many vehicle systems and controllers are connected.

How to post an Auto-Scan

hope this helps to explained why we ask for the Auto-Scan,

drpeter

sbvr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=186325
Hello again RossTech Forums. I wanted to update...Coding byte 18 to 8D just got my 2012 GLI w/o Nav 6spd to operate back to stock halogen lights and proper tail light patterns without errors. It was not to get the BiXenon functioning. The car is now at a 3rd party VW shop and they installed the lights and are trying to code the lights. They can't get the LED DRLs to turn on. I sent them that byte 18 pdf that has been making it's way around in hopes that they can use that. A member of VWVortex also sent me a code and told me it would work for my GLI (2F200A3A902F06C400080080000005C40100008842808D625C8000000040). I'm hoping between today and tomorrow (when i go pick up the car) that one of those codes will work without having to replace the CECM. If not i will go back to halogen and give up on the BiXenon dream. Has anyone had experience with coding the BiXenons to properly operate on a 2012 GLI?

Thanks
Hab

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Cool story, bro.

Now where's that Auto-Scan we've been asking for for two months now? :popcorn:

-Uwe-

sbvr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=186325
I know i know. I appreciate the help. The car is at the shop right now, they're going to go through the byte18 pdf sounds like, so i can't get you a AutoScan at the moment. When i have the car i will. I'll have to see if there is harness issues, but i may just end up just sticking to Halogen for now. I will get the auto scan up. I have one but it contains all the bulb out errors i had when i first installed the adapters

Back