Status
Not open for further replies.

lucidmotions

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=214403
So I'm somewhat of a Mac Person since I need it for my job and haven't owned a PC in years. Having said that I also felt like I didn't wanted to buy a license for Windows and repartition my HD since (again for work) I had to change my hard drives to SSD's and at the time the cost for a 1TB or close was too prohibitive to even consider. I've been using it through VCDS mobile all this time and had a pretty good grip on it until it came to things such as recoding the battery, resetting SRI etc and it wouldn't work for anything - esp the battery recode through VCDS mobile. By chance I came across some guys post on an Audi forum for an HP tablet for $99 - which I found somewhat intriguing ... went to amazon, found the tablet and ended up paying $69 for "like new" which meant - holy shit it still had the wrapper on the screen and was at my house in two days :). I now use VCDS through AP mode and the HP Stream7. The tablet for what it's worth sucks - plain and simple. It's so frustrating and slow and when it upgraded to Windows10 (which was free, too) it ate up 24GB of a 28GB Harddrive. Again - this is my new "car tablet" and the only reason I use it is for VCDS. I own an iPad and even the oldest iteration of the iPad I've ever owned was faster then this thing from HP.
My point of this however is that if you're looking for something cheap, small yet big enough, runs a full version of Windows and have roughly $75 to spare, then the HP Stream7 seems to be the route to go. I had changed my battery last year in December and had not been able to code it until two nights ago. Took me all but 10minutes. I had the SRI 'Service Due' on for the past 6k, which was annoying, yes - but I did the services, just couldn't really figure out how to reset it. Given that That I actually finally figured out through VCDS Mobile - however, if you're using VCDS Mobile and need to change the values of 53 and 55 DO NOT just put the cursor (iPhone) into he 'new value' field, but double click it to highlight it and then change it to "0" otherwise VCDS Mobile will constantly refresh the window and you'll stand there like an idiot for 15 minutes until you figure it out by accident like I did.
Again - for $75 total you can elevate the VCDS Mobile hassle and just use the full fledge version with Hex-Net in AP mode. Seems like a no-brainer and much much much less hassle! And no I don't work for HP :rolleyes:

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There have been other Windows tablets in that price range, and there's a reason they're so cheap. ;-)

To be totally honest, if thought Windows tablets would become available for under $100 when we started working on the HEX-NET and VCDS-Mobile, we would probably have spec'd the product differently.

-Uwe-

lucidmotions

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=214403
coming from an iPad and having had an iPad 2 from way back when - it was almost frustrating how slow this HP tablet was, on top of it it said it was from 2014 somewhere in the specs for it, but that's a minor gripe. I'm just happy I can finally use the 'full' version of VCDS and not screw around on my phone sharing the signal and draining the battery. And at 7in screen and $69 I'm happy. And holy shit - thank god for SRI reset button !!!!!! (honestly that was the entire motivation for this - given I had figured it out of course the same day after I had order the tablet - but still, much better and more functionality then -- or easier functionality I guess -- then with a tiny phone screen)

Reactions: Uwe

visortgw

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=35806
Check out Parallels Desktop (http://parallels.com). You can run Windows in a VM -- no need to repartition drive, and it works great with VCDS, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back