Cheaters? Recalls? Discuss

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053

Thanks Jack,

I guess I had assumed that things were further along than they are. I dropped by one of the local VW dealers last week, and he told me that they were supposed to know by the end of yesterday what was happening. (He said they have 50 new TDI's in-stock that they haven't been able to sell).
So, according to the article you posted above, I guess all that has been determined is the value(s)? And there still is no proposed fix?

So Jack, as a guy that's in the industry, do you have any predictions? Are they going to "fix" them or scrap them?

If the future of these cars is still unknown, I guess I should probably go back to ignoring "dieselgate" and carry on about my business.
Problem is, I'm in the mood for another car. Not because I need one really, but just for a change.
I was thinking of selling one of my old VE TDI cars and buying a newer one...2010 perhaps.
(I also went to look at a 1990 G60 Corrado this afternoon...and forget about the newer cars and just keep running my Golf for my work car. Plan B I guess).

I just wish there were other good options for FE/MPG that wouldn't break the bank (and weren't in the middle of a scandal).

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
From what I understand........ VAG are going to offer to fix them and or buy them back, in addition to a cash payout for damage awards.

If you are unhappy with the repair fix, you can still exercise an option to have purchased back.

All cars that are purchased back by VAG, are to be destroyed, & not even permitted for export.

Details are still being hashed out day to day.

You are better off with a VE in my opinion.

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
If you are unhappy with the repair fix, you can still exercise an option to have purchased back.

Ok, so I was reading another article that it is unlikely that VAG will be unable to easily "fix" the 2009-2014 cars, and that the "fix" pertains more to the 2015-2016 models.
Any comments Jack? Since you know these engine/emission systems and I do not.

And, if I understand everything correctly, the payback/cash award business is only for pre-existing owners, correct? If I was to buy one of these cars, now in August, I wouldn't be entitled to anything because I'm buying a "Problem Car". Is this correct?

You are better off with a VE in my opinion.

Well, that is definitely an option. One car has 135k miles on it, and the other 215k miles, so they're good for a while yet. They both run like new, but they do need some $$$ spent on non-TDI specific repairs, and I'm just trying to decide whether to do them or not.

Thanks for your replies. I guess maybe I'll follow Dieselgate a little closer, at least for the short term.

I've seen a couple CR TDI's pop up in the classifieds for decent asking prices. A 2010 TDI Golf and a 2010 TDI Jetta, both with asking prices of $8500 bucks, which seems low for my area. The Golf is gone now, and there's not another one available used for a 1000 miles. Otherwise, these cars are usually priced well enough into the teens. It doesn't seem like the scandal has affected used prices all that much....well, hasn't affected asking prices at least.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Ok, so I was reading another article that it is unlikely that VAG will be unable to easily "fix" the 2009-2014 cars, and that the "fix" pertains more to the 2015-2016 models.
Any comments Jack? Since you know these engine/emission systems and I do not.

And, if I understand everything correctly, the payback/cash award business is only for pre-existing owners, correct? If I was to buy one of these cars, now in August, I wouldn't be entitled to anything because I'm buying a "Problem Car". Is this correct?

RTFB the litigation + settlement guidelines.......the information is out there.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
RTFB the litigation + settlement guidelines.......the information is out there.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

Thanks for the links. OK, let me try this a different way...

What is YOUR expert OPINION Jack on what the "fix" will involve for the 2009-2016 cars?
What are you predicting with regards to fix/scrap, and the fixes effect on Power, MPG, and resale?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
What is YOUR expert OPINION Jack on what the "fix" will involve for the 2009-2016 cars?
What are you predicting with regards to fix/scrap, and the fixes effect on Power, MPG, and resale?

"CORE CONTROL" is aware of your questions and is processing data at this time for violations of Canon Law.

NostraJackAss has no quatrain prophecies to share during this ministration.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
You've all got it better in america than uk, we just get offered a reflash and an air freshener!

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
According to the news here, dealers buying back cars, compensation, prepaid credit cards etc when it all first came out. Over here they are just offering the fix, and you get a free air freshener for the car

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
That's because we have stronger consumer protection laws, where you can't fuck the customer as bad.........OR when caught with hand in the cookie jar!

I guess NOX looked like a cookie...............

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
According to the news here, dealers buying back cars, compensation, prepaid credit cards etc when it all first came out. Over here they are just offering the fix, and you get a free air freshener for the car

Yes that what I heard, Only in USA they have Buy back. ROW they fixing it.
Which is really bad thing here is USA. You will see guys how bad VW will go with this. I have number of the people that already sold Gas power cars , they are scared similar thing can happen with it like TDI. I am afraid that VW will meet catastrophic down the hill in market.

They should just said it was BUG in Software like Toyota did years ago when accelerator got stuck with full throttle. we will fix Bug and end of the story.Why would someone admit they did this ?

VW TDI cars did not kill anyone , buy Toyota cars did !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Toyota walk out with no car was pull out of the market at all.

Reactions: Uwe

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
That's because we have stronger consumer protection laws, where you can't fuck the customer as bad.........OR when caught with hand in the cookie jar!
Well my thought is that VW was taking to much of the USA market vs Japan and American cars.
Like I mention above ,Toyota has much bigger F... up and on the end it was not big deal , But who will get back all those people who died in accident?????????????? No one.

Same thing with Mercedes SBC Unit .

They making big deal about pollution VW did , What about all those 18 wheeler ,you can still see old trucks on road that make big cloud of the smoke , and that is OK???? USA trucks has technology 20 years old.
In Europe in 1999 they had Catalyst system in Big Trucks , and here in 2009 I believe . CAT do not make engines anymore because they could not pass emissions after 2009 .
And so on, and so on.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yes that what I heard, Only in USA they have Buy back. ROW they fixing it.
Which is really bad thing here is USA. You will see guys how bad VW will go with this. I have number of the people that already sold Gas power cars , they are scared similar thing can happen with it like TDI. I am afraid that VW will meet catastrophic down the hill in market.

They should just said it was BUG in Software like Toyota did years ago when accelerator got stuck with full throttle. we will fix Bug and end of the story.Why would someone admit they did this ?

VW TDI cars did not kill anyone , buy Toyota cars did !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Toyota walk out with no car was pull out of the market at all.

Kind of hard when it's a Rico violation because cars have VIN #s, so that's now a criminal enterprise and racketeering scheme.

Well my thought is that VW was taking to much of the USA market vs Japan and American cars.
Like I mention above ,Toyota has much bigger F... up and on the end it was not big deal , But who will get back all those people who died in accident?????????????? No one.

Same thing with Mercedes SBC Unit .

They making big deal about pollution VW did , What about all those 18 wheeler ,you can still see old trucks on road that make big cloud of the smoke , and that is OK???? USA trucks has technology 20 years old.
In Europe in 1999 they had Catalyst system in Big Trucks , and here in 2009 I believe . CAT do not make engines anymore because they could not pass emissions after 2009 .
And so on, and so on.
No Marin see that's what you are missing .............A mistake is forgivable........... a willful act and lies are not!

I'm just as upset about VW-Audi here in the USA, and yup sales + service are way down.

Xavier told me in front of my friend Todd one time, many years ago when I first got involved with VW-Audi.........
"You will see!........ you will rip that patch of your chest like I did and put the Star on there in place of it......... you watch Jack you will"

Still haven't but the thought did cross my mind.......... maybe I will go work on Kia......Just Kidding!
Maybe it's time to rethink my air cool ban I implemented 25 years ago, just because I'm board..........

The lesson here is don't fucking lie to the US government to try and cheat it or its citizens.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Jack they could simply said it was bug in software , like Evey other manufacture does it.

SBC brake unit in Mercedes has timer of how many times you will press brake pedal then trigger code. So tell me that is not done on purpose ? This is big manipulation with customers, $2000-$2500 repair , yeah that is very cheap, and I have seen cars at 50k had this problem, friend of mine almost kill him self or someone with this problem , because pedal went to floor.
And at many years they did not want to cover it under warranty.I think after 7-8 years they announce recall for it.

It was just stupid of VW admit it, all Manufacture now days cheat.

With this , they just close the door to US market.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack they could simply said it was bug in software , like Evey other manufacture does it.

SBC brake unit in Mercedes has timer of how many times you will press brake pedal then trigger code. So tell me that is not done on purpose ? This is big manipulation with customers, $2000-$2500 repair , yeah that is very cheap, and I have seen cars at 50k had this problem, friend of mine almost kill him self or someone with this problem , because pedal went to floor.
And at many years they did not want to cover it under warranty.I think after 7-8 years they announce recall for it.

It was just stupid of VW admit it, all Manufacture now days cheat.

With this , they just close the door to US market.

No they couldn't because they were caught in a scheme......penalty would be far worse than just civil penalty.
So far no one is in jail just like the banks ...........it's just a check.

We are not talking about Mercedes here or scenarios.
It's a matter of getting caught and the right ear being blown in...........
Maybe VAG shouldn't of tried to mislead people into saying our car is clean, when it is not and even after all the DPF's plugged up anyway even running "lean".
Charging people $4500 for just the DPF ..........I suppose that was fair.........

So Marin explain to me how a software fix, is going to rectify a more rich fuel strategy & to lower NOX by not plugging up the "DPF EGR Intake system" even more?

I'm all ears...........

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Still haven't but the thought did cross my mind.......... maybe I will go work on Kia......Just Kidding!
Maybe it's time to rethink my air cool ban I implemented 25 years ago, just because I'm board..........

I've got the air-cooled VW Formula Vee engine half apart in the driveway if you're *that* bored! No emissions concerns either, since it is obviously for off-road/competition use only..... :D

Back