Cheaters? Recalls? Discuss

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Gosh, you'd almost think the people behind this knew what they were doing would illegal in the US.

Now the question becomes: What can the EPA actually do about this? I would suppose they can easily get a judgement in a US court, but enforcing it or collecting any fines levied might be more difficult.

-Uwe-
Uwe: As I read Jack's link, EZ Lynk is the manufacturer and seller of the product. US Government is suing EZ Lynk - but how does this sit with the liability for the buyer's decision to install said product?

Of itself, EZ Lynk's device doesn't do anything until a buyer decides to install the software (I would expect that in a litigious country like USA - there are notices all-over the product warning of the impact of using the software).

And if the litigation succeeds, what about the maufacturers of those auto Start-Stop kill switches which it could be argued have a similar impact of the environment?

Don

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
@Don, I expect the US Gov't to get more and more aggressive on all of this.

They are even going after people who modify off use vehicles - like tractors - for violating the Tier III and Tier IV emissions standards. Farmers are trying to keep gear running to keep their business going. The DPF and DOC clean-up gear causes them down time.

The Govt is demanding that the farmers use machines (which do not run high hours, do not run in the cities) which have to meet the current emissions standards. Do you think a tractor or two out in rural USA really add to the pollution substantially? The tractor mfg has no choice - they must comply. The problem is the uptime on the machine. The farmers are finding the emissions gear to be problematic. So, they are eager to eliminate it.

The companies providing the elimination mods are where the Gov't is attacking. They have not yet gone after the individual for installing such mods.

It remains to be seen what comes of all this. My guess is the mod industry will be gone. They simply cannot afford to run the risk of lawsuits by the Gov't. The farmers will have to learn to build the down time into the operations of their machines. On Ross Mountain, we are sticking with our pre-Tier III & Iv machine as it has no down time for cleaning DPF and so on. It does not belch smoke. It runs pretty clean except at first start until she gets nice and hot.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
On Ross Mountain, we are sticking with our pre-Tier III & Iv machine as it has no down time for cleaning DPF and so on. It does not belch smoke. It runs pretty clean except at first start until she gets nice and hot.
Unlike some of the tractors that me and a friend watched in the tractor pulling competition at Fryeburg Fair in Maine on October 1 2019 - the amount of black smoke they produced was awesome :D

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I expect the US Gov't to get more and more aggressive on all of this.

They are even going after people who modify off use vehicles - like tractors - for violating the Tier III and Tier IV emissions standards. Farmers are trying to keep gear running to keep their business going. The DPF and DOC clean-up gear causes them down time.

The Govt is demanding that the farmers use machines (which do not run high hours, do not run in the cities) which have to meet the current emissions standards. Do you think a tractor or two out in rural USA really add to the pollution substantially? The tractor mfg has no choice - they must comply. The problem is the uptime on the machine. The farmers are finding the emissions gear to be problematic. So, they are eager to eliminate it.

The companies providing the elimination mods are where the Gov't is attacking. They have not yet gone after the individual for installing such mods.

It remains to be seen what comes of all this. My guess is the mod industry will be gone. They simply cannot afford to run the risk of lawsuits by the Gov't. The farmers will have to learn to build the down time into the operations of their machines. On Ross Mountain, we are sticking with our pre-Tier III & Iv machine as it has no down time for cleaning DPF and so on. It does not belch smoke. It runs pretty clean except at first start until she gets nice and hot.

Yup expect it........

Now a tech that knows what he is actually doing versus a GFF screen button pusher is very valuable, huh? :confused:

Old tractors are indeed bringing a premium & this isn't the real solution is it?

The problem isn't the spirit of farmers not wanting to be working on or maintaining the new tractors is it?

Is it not the fact that manufacturers are using creative ways of bending the CAA spec of locking the consumer out of doing the services and using the high security and proprietary card to create an unjust enrichment scheme or to force a purchase of new equipment?

Seems like the Farmers need to start understanding the "hours/mileage" useful life spec warranty they negate to educate themselves on which the manufacturers agreed too with GOV and maybe sue the tractor makers for the same buy backs & for the lie they were sold in bad faith if what you say was true?

I'm still trying to understand why each vehicle that has TPMS and or Urea tank & a DPF, doesn't have a mandatory "BIG RED FUCKING BUTTON" manual reset required by these agencies or made to be installed because fault codes reset in OBD2 doesn't reset it, WTF is clearing codes many times shit, unacceptable?

Adaption schmapdaption.......stuff should bolt on and test routines be straight forward and all auto-adapt like the CAA says so no?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Don, I expect the US Gov't to get more and more aggressive on all of this.

@Bruce: Hope you are enjoying your tree-change happiness as a quasi-farmer - and thanks for the reply (I come from parent-farmer stock - large orange orchard). Does the farm produce stuff for commercial consumption, or is it more a subsistence-farming setup?

Don
PS : Has management @ Ross-Mountain estate considered this alternative approach to tractor down-time (notwithstanding that it likely produces more greenhouse gases)?
p53_tractor.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Build and maintain a small green house guys, it's fun and you can control the environment sections to yield more than you would ever need in a field worrying about irrigation or varmints, however, the fields usually attract the Deer, wild Turkeys and make for some fat eating rabbits.

Did you at least plant apple and fruit trees too keep the deer very happy and maybe build a small copper coil for later?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Our plans are a work in process... @Don, we do not have the backup horse power you suggested - actually down the road, a guy is building quite the riding facility. Very posh. Maybe I should borrow a couple thoroughbreds for tractor dragging? Then there are 3 donkeys/mules at a neighbors cow farm.

@Jack, I am starting to plant good food sources for the deer. There are a couple of crab apple trees around but they do not produce much fruit given they have not been groomed/trimmed/cared for in years. On the list... and the list is long.

Right now, we have been working to gain access to large parcels that have been pretty inaccessible. As we work on trails and such, we are planting them with deery food... stuff the deer and turkeys will like. It's all natural to their present environment - just more of it is the idea. The grasses and plants make good soil retention for the trails as we make them.

Eventually, I am trying to get some food plots going that will feed the deer year round. They seem to suffer a lot in the winter in the Virginian mountains. If we can keep a food source for them, they should do better.

We have harvested 21 deer since we started hunting this property. Most years, we see the number we have taken replaced by new fawns. So the cycle continues.

There was a very bad ice storm there in Feb. I cannot believe the damage. We experienced a similar storm in Nov 2018 - but the Feb 2021 storm seems to have been far worse. All the damage was done on the South side of the mountain. I'm still trying to understand that. The high winds should have been out of the north. Does that mean the ice accumulation was more on the south side?

Well this post has taken us way away from emissions! Cheaters? Recalls? I guess I better stop.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337