Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheaters? Recalls? Discuss

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

2. Likes Sacha35 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    How long can the rest of the world just sit buy and watch, it is time now to stop these con artist in there tracks once for all. They tried mass extinction in two world wars now they are trying the same thing but in a different form how can our governments not see this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacha35 View Post
    How long can the rest of the world just sit buy and watch, it is time now to stop these con artist in there tracks once for all. They tried mass extinction in two world wars now they are trying the same thing but in a different form how can our governments not see this.
    The UK Governments have traditionally been too weak to stand up to multi-national companies, this is yet anther example of that...

5. Likes Sacha35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is now huh?

"We report any irregularities to the authorities because full clarification is our top priority," Audi CEO Rupert Stadler said in a statement. "We did so without delay also in this case."
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry to transform Jack's news thread (no sarcasm, read most of the links) into the discussion thread it's supposed to be.
    Now, my car is a 1.2 TDI from the EA189 series, meaning it had the emissions scandal software running on it. Over the past few years it had a few of the SW updates to make it cleaner.
    Side effects being a slightly higher fuel consumption and poor reliability of the EGR and DPF system.

Now the time will inevitably come to replace the small, fun sized Polo with something different.
    Diesel will become more and more obsolete in public opinion and the reliability and need for new stuff will take their toll.
    Furthermore, the Polo isn't the ideal family car.

Now, if the better half has any say on it, it will probably be either a hybrid or a petrol (gas) powered car.
    The problem is, she's quite the eco warrior, these new direct injection turbocharged engines running produce ever more emissions (NOx) in the search of efficiency.
    I heard or read <citation needed> that a modern TSI engine will produce more NOx than its diesel powered equivalent.

So I guess the next best thing is to get something with an electric engine, either lone or in parallel with fossiel fuels.
    But then these batteries... they're dirtier than dirty to make with all the nasty chemicals and huge distances that are covered by the raw materials.

So is there any way of driving a clean car in the future? I'd say, keep driving the current thing.
    Producing a new one will never save the emissions of taking this one off the road...
    Last edited by iichel; 05-27-2018 at 11:25 AM.

11. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, NZDubNurd, D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iichel View Post
    So is there any way of driving a clean car in the future? I'd say, keep driving the current thing.
    Producing a new one will never save the emissions by taking this one off the road...
    That's so true...

13. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, NZDubNurd, D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I heard or read <citation needed> that a modern TSI engine will produce more NOx than its diesel powered equivalent.
    I'm not sure I believe that. I do believe that TSI engines produce far more particulates than a modern TDI. The tail pipe on my TDIs is amazingly clean, while on the T(F)SIs, it's coated with soot. No, not like a pre-DPF diesel, but still... This is why there's now talk of requiring particle filters on gasoline engines.

But even if it is true, ask yourself whether it really makes any difference outside of certain densely populated urban areas. In most places, that extra bit of NOx is irrelevant, like peeing in the ocean.

So I guess the next best thing is to get something with an electric engine, either lone or in parallel with fossiel fuels.
    But then these batteries... they're dirtier than dirty to make with all the nasty chemicals and huge distances that are covered by the raw materials.
    I'm not convinced that li-ion batteries will be as "dirty" in the long run as some people currently make them out to be. In the US, they're not even classified as hazardous waste. Sure, lithium and cobalt mining is a dirty business, but in the long run, most of those materials can be recovered via recycling. Right now this isn't economically feasible and it's cheaper to use virgin raw materials, but if as much automotive electrification happens as some folks predict, I think that's likely to change.

Personally, I would not own a pure electric as my only car. I'm sure they're great for commuting and going shopping, but I regularly take 1700 km road trips (16 hours on the road, split over two days). I've used Tesla's trip planner to see how much time such a car would cost me. Even with a full, overnight charge at my usual stop-over, driving an S100D instead of a fuel-powered car would add 3-1/2 to 4 hours waiting around at five different charging stations. No thanks!

The current crop of Plug-in Hybrids (such as Andy's A3 e-tron or the various GTE models VW sells in Europe with the same drivetrain) seem to be a nice compromise. You can run them purely on electricity around town, and just fill them up with fuel like a normal car on the road. But the penalty you pay for this is an absurd level of complexity in the systems. I would not want to own one of these after the warranty has expired! Read the SSPs before you buy one.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 05-27-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

15. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post