Thread: Cheaters? Recalls? Discuss

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheaters? Recalls? Discuss

Post Thanks / Like
    Rut roh!

Brace for epic incoming rant from Jack. :-)

Jason

3. Likes Eric, Santos, Jack@European_Parts, Uwe, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they go after VW, then they need to go after everybody else as well - this has been an industry standard for as long as I can remember. Besides, the article is false - it's not a device. At best it's a piece of the software that detects the standardized drive cycle and adjusts parameters accordingly to meet the requirements. Have you ever wondered why the gas mileage listed for your car is tough/impossible to reach? Same thing...
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

Verified VCDS User stuarttunstall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    If they go after VW, then they need to go after everybody else as well - this has been an industry standard for as long as I can remember. Besides, the article is false - it's not a device. At best it's a piece of the software that detects the standardized drive cycle and adjusts parameters accordingly to meet the requirements. Have you ever wondered why the gas mileage listed for your car is tough/impossible to reach? Same thing...
    I agree, if VW Group have done this I am sure others would do the same thing

I have been trying to find out what engine type my MY2015 Skoda Superb has in the UK, CFGB engine (2.0TDi 170ps) ... Is this the "Type EA189 engine" that seems to be effected?

Can the fantastic Ross Tech help me

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is now mega - worldwide

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reported today that 2.8m vehicles are potentially affected in Germany alone....figures for other EU member states haven't yet been released

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    here here.........................

9. Likes D-Dub, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://jalopnik.com/vw-made-its-def...ran-1786442999

VW Made Its Defeat Device More Potent To Save On Warranty Repairs: Court Docs

In the court documents charging Volkswagen engineer James Robert Liang with fraud for developing VW’s diesel emission cheat, exists a small section about a software update in 2014. It alleges VW made its cars even more harmful to the environment just so the company could save on warranty costs.

The plea agreement claims Liang and “co-conspirators” made the defeat device more “effective” because emissions control components started failing and costing the company money. The plea agreement reads:

As VW’s “clean diesel” vehicles in the United States began to age, they experienced higher rates of warranty claims for parts and components related to emissions control systems. Some of LIANG’s coconspirators believed that the increased claims were a result of the vehicle operating in testing mode too long rather than switching to “road mode.”
    It goes on:

Because of these increased claims, LIANG worked with his co-conspirators to enhance the defeat device to allow the vehicle to more easily recognize when the vehicle was no longer in testing mode.
    And the indictment alleges how Liang and others adjusted the software:

Liang and his co-conspirators falsely and fraudulently told, and caused others to tell, U.S. customers and other that a software update in about 2014 was intended to improve the vehicles when, in fact, LIANG and his conspirators knew that the update used the steering wheel angle of the vehicle as a basis to more easily detect when the vehicle was undergoing emissions tests, thereby improving the defeat device’s precision in order to reduce the stress on the emissions control systems.
    That’s absurd. According to these court documents, engineers at VW had the audacity to issue a software update to customers that dialed down emissions control usage and spewed more NOx into the environment, just so the company could save a buck.

This also essentially confirms the answer to the question we so often hear – “Why doesn’t Volkswagen just keep ‘testing mode’ on all the time?” Apparently doing so would cause the cars to fall apart.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they go after VW, then they need to go after everybody else as well - this has been an industry standard for as long as I can remember.
    Here here .............I told you so that something was very big brewing........in my other thread.

OEM and AFT need a check up.

The good news VCDS will display more codes now, and maybe the parts industry will sell some more with a recovery.

FSI and TSI are next!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Full Definition of DEVICE
    1: something devised or contrived: as
    a (1) : plan, procedure, technique (2) : a scheme to deceive : stratagem, trick

per: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/device

13. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Eric liked this post