Cheaters? Recalls? Discuss

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
If they go after VW, then they need to go after everybody else as well - this has been an industry standard for as long as I can remember. ;) Besides, the article is false - it's not a device. At best it's a piece of the software that detects the standardized drive cycle and adjusts parameters accordingly to meet the requirements. Have you ever wondered why the gas mileage listed for your car is tough/impossible to reach? Same thing...

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
If they go after VW, then they need to go after everybody else as well - this has been an industry standard for as long as I can remember. ;)

Here here .............I told you so that something was very big brewing........in my other thread.

OEM and AFT need a check up.

The good news VCDS will display more codes now, and maybe the parts industry will sell some more with a recovery.

FSI and TSI are next!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Locked_out.png

WOPR.png

mikeme

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=99408
other than the enjoyable back and forth discussion, the real question is how VW will respond.

I heard some other news chatter that the NTSB has been pushing automakers to be more pro-active in offering incentives to owners to gain increased compliance with recalls. perhaps similar action will happen.

the obvious recall would be for an ECU software update, but then, given that such an update could decrease the mpg, how would VW gain buy-in from car owners?

the Detroit Free press article threw in the per-violation penalty of up to $37500 per vehicle. I could be talked into selling back my TDI for a bit less than that.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah and that $37,500 fine would be x3

Tampering, Altering, and defeating an emissions device.

They would be in additional violation of the DMCA, for they do this updating via SVM or Fazit over the NET.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)

It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works. It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself. In addition, the DMCA heightens the penalties for copyright infringement on the Internet

Yeah it goes both ways doesn't it?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Holy Shorts .........I've hit the mother load.

500 Thousand TDI's

mikeme

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=99408
except that code was from 2010. the cheat started in 2008, with the qualification of 2009 model year cars. (like the one I own)

mikeme

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=99408
I think it would be very interesting to see where in the code they hid the cheat. I suspect a small number of folks actually knew, and there was (and still is) as section of code which runs every start up, treated as, don't mess with this, don't ask what it does, but don't monkey with it.

Not that they are likely to publish this kind of detail.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Been trying to sell my 2009 internally for $20k. Get in before the buy back!!! So far no takers :)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
In theory you could make them buy it back treble damages for false advertising.

hans j

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=60436
Here's the original university test: http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/WVU_LDDV_in-use_ICCT_Report_Final_may2014.pdf
Check out the last paragraph in the conclusion!

And the EPA letter to VW: http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/documents/vw-nov-caa-09-18-15.pdf

I haven't been able to find the rest of the test results the EPA and CARB have to make them go after VW.

And the 2012 Jetta uses a CJAA and the 2013 Passat uses a CKRA. The university paper claims they are the same engine. Thoughts?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
And the 2012 Jetta uses a CJAA and the 2013 Passat uses a CKRA. The university paper claims they are the same engine. Thoughts?
Depends on how you define "engine". They may use many of the same parts (block, head, crank, pistons, valves, etc) but I'm pretty sure the 2012 Jetta was still using a NOx trap while all the NMS Passats (starting in 2012) used an SCR/DEF system.

VW used to retain the same engine code even with rather substantial changes, e.g. the original 2.8L VR6 kept the AAA engine code despite changing from a distributor to coil packs around 1992 and then switching from an 8-bit ECU to a 16-bit, doing away with the idle stabilizer valve and using a motorized throttle body in 1996 and a different intake manifold with the advent of OBD-II. But over the last decade, it seems they've gone the other way and will now change the engine code even for very minor minor differences..

-Uwe-

stuarttunstall

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=3663
If they go after VW, then they need to go after everybody else as well - this has been an industry standard for as long as I can remember. ;) Besides, the article is false - it's not a device. At best it's a piece of the software that detects the standardized drive cycle and adjusts parameters accordingly to meet the requirements. Have you ever wondered why the gas mileage listed for your car is tough/impossible to reach? Same thing...

I agree, if VW Group have done this I am sure others would do the same thing ;)

I have been trying to find out what engine type my MY2015 Skoda Superb has in the UK, CFGB engine (2.0TDi 170ps) ... Is this the "Type EA189 engine" that seems to be effected?

Can the fantastic Ross Tech help me :)

Back