Cheaters? Recalls? Discuss

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Considering how many problems people are reporting with cars factory equipped with urea, I shudder to think of the nightmares in future retrofitted first gen CR's. Hell hath no fury like a urea ECU scorned.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah........ well when these car get some more blow by from wear, with increased soot due to more fuel needed, to make lower NOX levels; these cars are going be a problem with DPF, and all the sensors.

VW-Audi engineers and manufacturers would of been better off explaining how the domino effect of emissions would ultimately increase, by using such methods to remediate NOX.

Really NOX is not the enemy that people have been led to believe.

The enemy is having stupid systems........ that in time cause more harm then good.

Example is EGR and Urea. and oil vapor remediation methods......... are just really really Dumb dumb dumb!

Just run the cars cleaner lean, and save the ultimate carbon foot print......... an engine which runs consistent burns less fuel and gets MPG.

The legislation needs to be properly written, ultimately obtainable!..........& with proper follow through for enforcement.

Solution .........water injection or post distilled salt water solution catalyst scrubber .......NOX be gone!

Only creates results like this..........

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...million-ship-broke-down/ar-BBny7Ho?li=BBnb7Kz

This is why the Navy's new $362 million ship broke down

On Friday, the Navy's brand new $362 million ship broke down and had to be towed back to port after only three weeks in service.
The USS Milwaukee, which was commissioned on November 21, is an advanced littoral combat ship (LCS). According to the Navy Times, citing a report from the Navy, the Milwaukee was transiting past Halifax, Canada when it "suffered an engineering casualty."
The exact cause of the casualty is still under investigation. However, preliminary evidence points to " fine metal debris collected in the lube oil filter," the Navy Times reports. This debris is thought to have traveled throughout the engine system and ultimately caused it to fail.
The cause of the metal debris at this time is unknown. But the debris is thought to have been responsible for the ship's ultimate and complete lack of propulsion.
In response to the engineering casualty, Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona), the head of the Senate Armed Services Committee, released a statement decrying the Milwaukee's astounding problems.
"Reporting of a complete loss of propulsion on USS Milwaukee (LCS 5) is deeply alarming, particularly given this ship was commissioned just 20 days ago," McCain said, according to the Journal Sentinel. "U.S. Navy ships are built with redundant systems to enable continued operation in the event of an engineering casualty, which makes this incident very concerning."
The LCS was intended to be the Navy's futuristic super-ship. It was envisioned as the first US combat vessel with the ability to remove underwater mines and take on swarm attacks of small craft in coastal waters and fight rival battleships in the open seas — all while being difficult to detect on radar, compared to traditional destroyers.
BBnyeTq.img
© Provided by Business Insider littoral combat ship USS Freedom The LCS attempts to achieve such a diverse mission set by allowing the ship to be modular. That is, the vessel has a set of interchangeable modules, or parts, that can be swapped in and out to tailor a particular LCS to a particular mission.
Originally, changing modules was meant to take place in the space of 72 hours. However, the concept has hard difficulties being put into practice, the Journal Sentinel reports, citing the Heritage Foundation think tank.
And overall, the LCS program has come in way over-budget and without many advantages over existing craft. By 2014 the Navy ended up slashing their order from 52 to 32 ships

Last edited:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
PS, If I was desperate enough to own a Toyota, and had the unintended acceleration issue, I'd have been IMPRESSED! It would have finally done something exciting!

Sad story. A little over a year ago, two people where I work were pulling out of a parking space. The Toyota they were riding in had the surprise unintended acceleration problem, lunging across a small parking lot, a lawn, and finally hitting the corner foundation of a big 'ol concrete building at speeds high enough to deploy the marshmallows. The driver was out of work for over a month, and the passenger missed 6+ months due to multiple surgeries and subsequent rehabs to get back on his feet. What makes it even sadder was that the fire/ambulance crews got there before I did, and tampered with the evidence. :banghead: All that I wanted to do was take a picture showing the floor mat not wedged under the throttle like Toyota claimed to the gob'ment was the root cause of their runaway car problems, because I'm sure they would have paid me enough Yen to fund a comfortable retirement to squelch my findings at a fresh accident scene.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
2 items I just could think of:

• Carmaker (VAG?) would like to have the customer, be able to drive until next Service, without AdBlue filling in between.
    There is maybe not space or money to install an larger AdBlue tank.
  • To make it easier to be sure you are not dosing to much AdBlue/Urea, which is not good (also smelling).

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I have not done any fact-checking on this article yet.....

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2016/01/04/Bailout-Volkswagen-Congress-Wants-Do-Something-Absolutely-Crazy

A Bailout for Volkswagen? Congress Wants to Do Something Absolutely Crazy

By David Dayen
January 4, 2016

When Volkswagen admitted to cheating on air pollution standards tests in September, it opened itself up not only to government punishment, but lawsuits from 500,000 U.S. purchasers of its “clean” diesel vehicles. Volkswagen has yet to fix the vehicles to bring them into emissions compliance, and even if it does, that will likely create a lower-performance car than consumers paid for.

“Throughout these years, Volkswagen has been lying to us,” says Rebecca Kaplan, an at-large member of the Oakland City Council, who has been active in reducing carbon emissions in her city. “They’ve been undermining the very things that I have been fighting for.” Kaplan, who has stopped driving her non-compliant VW Golf TDI and rejected a lowball trade-in offer from the dealer, has joined one of hundreds of class-action suits against the automaker, likely to be consolidated into a large multi-district case.

The combination of regulatory oversight and class-action litigation can keep companies in line. But a bill in Congress consisting of a little more than 100 words would not only prevent Kaplan from seeking justice but also cripple virtually all class-action lawsuits against corporations. It’s known as the “Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act,” but lawyers and advocates call it the “VW Bailout Bill.”

The bill, which will get a vote on the House floor in the first week of January, follows a series of steps by the judiciary to block the courthouse door on behalf of corporations. “There's no question the Supreme Court has ben moving in that direction to limit access to courts,” said Joanne Doroshow, executive director of the Center for Justice and Democracy. “But Congress has never done something like this, trying to step in and wipe out class-actions.”

The simplicity of the VW Bailout Bill belies the chaos it would create. Proponents like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the bill’s leading lobbyist, say they merely want to get rid of “non-injury” class-action cases, based on potential damages from defective consumer products or corporate actions that have yet to result in harm. Lawyers for class-action litigants argue that defective products deserve compensation even if the consumer hasn’t yet been injured.

But the bill goes much further, stating that courts may not certify class-action suits unless the plaintiff “affirmatively demonstrates that each proposed class member suffered the same type and scope of injury as the named class representative or representatives.”

“This is devastating because it sets up all class-actions to fail,” says attorney Lori Andrus, who represents several Volkswagen plaintiffs. If every class member must have the same type and scope of injury, it forces extensive proofs for class certification — essentially a full-blown trial up front, where plaintiffs will have to prove that their injuries match with their fellow representatives.

Not only would these trials be costly, but they would empower corporate defense lawyers’ schemes to limit damages. While current rules already require class members to have some level of commonality and typicality, the words “same type and scope” offer opportunities to refine that further. “It’s not clear what they mean by same injury,” says Andre Mura, another class-action plaintiff’s attorney. The terms are so vague, Mura argued, that they would have to be interpreted repeatedly, with unpredictable results.

In the Volkswagen case, for example, “it could mean the same model car, the same defeat device, the same emissions system, the same consumer harm,” Mura says. “When really Volkswagen engaged in the same course of conduct on all their vehicles.” Defense attorneys could claim that a class representative who released fewer emissions because they drove fewer miles than their colleagues, or drove in harsher weather, or with lower tire pressure, should be excluded from the case. That could either whittle down classes to limit damages or disqualify them from certification.

And the applications go beyond Volkswagen. “In a mortgage fraud case, the class might have all been deceived in same way, but the documents signed might have been inconsistent,” says Andrus. “Or with for-profit schools, they might have paid different tuition or taken different classes.” Andrus has battled these tactics before, but the congressional bill would codify them into law. “There’s no question this was written by a defense lawyer whose job it is to defend corporations,” she says.

Without a class-action option, VW customers would have little recourse. “The damages are not enormous in the sense that I could hire individual counsel,” says George Farquar, a scientist and small business owner from Livermore, Calif., who is part of a class-action suit against the carmaker. “It’s amazing this legislation is being considered.”

A Consumer Financial Protection Bureau study found that victims of just financial-related class-action settlements received over $2 billion in compensation between 2008 and 2012, to say nothing of the changes in corporate behavior arising from those cases. “The alternative is that those claims disappear,” says the Center for Justice and Democracy’s Doroshow. “You’re talking about providing basic immunity (to corporations).”

Some lawyers are readying individual litigation in the VW scandal, but hundreds of thousands of such cases would be impractical and not economically viable for victims. Farquar believes he should have the ability to hold Volkswagen accountable for their crimes: “If I committed this kind of fraud I would be out of business.”

Incredibly, the House is pairing the VW Bailout Bill with other legislation designed to limit corporate liability. The FACT (Furthering Asbestos Claim Transparency) Act would force public reporting of personal information of asbestos victims, in an effort to delay and limit compensation for their poisoning.

The Chamber of Commerce also supports the FACT Act, claiming it would prevent double-dipping by mesothelioma sufferers who may have been exposed to multiple asbestos-lined products. But the clear intent is to both chill victims from coming forward and delay their compensation. Because mesothelioma sufferers typically only live between four and 18 months after diagnosis, this would shift many victim claims to wrongful death, which has a lower payout rate. Corporations like Honeywell have financial reason to want victims of their use of harmful chemicals to die quicker, so they can pay their families less.

House passage of the VW Bailout Bill and FACT Act is likely, but the Senate could provide a roadblock. However, as we saw with the year-end omnibus, ideological bills that can’t otherwise pass on their own have a tendency to ride along with must-pass legislation and become law.

Corporate immunity has been a major preoccupation of John Roberts’ Supreme Court. Rulings like AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion and American Express v. Italian Colors allow corporations to force their customers into mandatory arbitration, rather than the judicial system, to settle disputes. And 2011’s Walmart v. Dukes tossed out class-action certification in a gender discrimination case, arguing that the retailer couldn’t possibly have discriminated against all 1.5 million of its female employees in the exact same manner. Subsequent circuit courts have followed Supreme Court precedent and tightened class-action restrictions.

But while the bar for class-action certification is already set incredibly high, the VW Bailout Bill adds an entirely new set of requirements, circumventing not only judicial precedent but also a longstanding federal rule (Rule 23) that lays out class-action standards. And it would protect corporations that engineer major frauds, where it is difficult to bring thousands of individual claims.

“It’s incredibly inappropriate for Congress to send the message that it’s OK to hurt people by the millions,” said Volkswagen owner Rebecca Kaplan. “The more people you hurt, the more this law will protect you.”

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertels...gate-crown-witness-cheating-open-secret-at-vw

A “crown witness” in the dieselgate scandal has been talking for months, implicating a large number of engineers and executives, a report in German media says. When Volkswagen’s U.S. chief Michael Horn took the stand at a House committee last October, he said that the cheating was the work of a couple of rogue engineers, and that nobody higher up had any idea. As unbelievable as it did sound, the story of a couple of engineers lacking parental supervision became the narrative at Volkswagen, with the story line culminating so far last week in a botched interview given by Volkswagen’s new CEO Matthias Mueller, where he told National Public Radio that Volkswagen didn’t lie, and that a few engineers simply misinterpreted American rules.

As of today, Volkswagen needs a new narrative.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
EPA asks Volkswagen to make electric cars in U.S. to atone for rigged emissions tests

U.S. environmental regulators are not letting a crisis go to waste, seeking to make Volkswagen do more than fix the diesel engines that cheated on emissions tests.

According to a report in the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag, the Environmental Protection Agency wants Volkswagen to subsidize the electric-car industry to atone for the diesel-engine cheating.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/21/epa-asks-volkswagen-make-electric-cars-us-atone-ri/

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
How long before they make electric cars with a hidden fuel tank and ICE that activates outside of the EPA test cycle? ;)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How long before they make electric cars with a hidden fuel tank and ICE that activates outside of the EPA test cycle? ;)
Chevy has been making such a car for 5 years -- it's called the Volt. :D

TechJournalist

Reaction score
I am a contributing editor of ARD German Radio & TV and I have a request for help. It's a bit tricky but maybe some of you already have the information we require.

What I need is the software part number of a VW 2012+ Passat registered in California (!), for which you have received a recall letter in early 2015.

I need exactly the PART NO SW and the numbers/ letters you find in the field “Component”.

You should get these numbers by doing a scan, i.e. by using
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/(or also the official VW software) or from your car dealer/ repairer.

Also useful would be the Emissions Service Action booklet (Code: 23N5) for California 2012-2014 Passats as provided to VW repair shops. Somebody already posted the one for US 49 states but the California version ought to be different.

What we are doing is to compare before-after what has been done by the emissions-related recall last year-

Thanks for contacting me here or by private message.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I am a contributing editor of ARD German Radio & TV and I have a request for help. It's a bit tricky but maybe some of you already have the information we require.

What I need is the software part number of a VW 2012+ Passat registered in California (!), for which you have received a recall letter in early 2015.

I need exactly the PART NO SW and the numbers/ letters you find in the field “Component”.

You should get these numbers by doing a scan, i.e. by using
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/(or also the official VW software) or from your car dealer/ repairer.

Also useful would be the Emissions Service Action booklet (Code: 23N5) for California 2012-2014 Passats as provided to VW repair shops. Somebody already posted the one for US 49 states but the California version ought to be different.

What we are doing is to compare before-after what has been done by the emissions-related recall last year-

Thanks for contacting me here or by private message.

Yeah?
I'd really like to see you reporters/testers do some testing/reporting on "aftermarket tuners" I mean hacks removing emission devices in there entirety electronically/physically.

Uncover the fact the EPA and CARB have failed to address the emission deletes; that are far more nefarious than what VW has done for over 20 years, since the OBD2 specification commenced with the readiness monitors.

Please let me know and have a look here.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...smelly-Garbage-can-dumped-on-Motorsports!-WTF

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Chevy has been making such a car for 5 years -- it's called the Volt. :D

BMW has one as well, called the I3. It has a motorcycle engine buried under the sheet metal, in case it runs out of batteries.

Seriously though, I saw an I3 broken down on the side of US-22 in Allentown on Sunday morning. Had me scratching my head for what could have gone wrong besides a flat tire or dead battery pack.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Here's an article in German where an old customer of ours was involved in testing an Open Zafira (and some of the test data was collected using VCDS in generic OBD-II mode):

http://www.fcd.eu/article.aspx?id=1868

Bottom line: When tested precisely per the EU's "NEFZ-Warmtest" spec, it met the required emissions standards. But when they deviated from the test spec a bit, the NOx emissions increased by a factor of 20.

How long have I been saying that VW surely isn't the only manufacturer who engages in "Cycle Beating"?

-Uwe-

dingle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261477
^ An uncanny semblance to Mr. Hanning. Perhaps they shared the same gas notebook.

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
So, what is the current status on Diesegate anyway?
I have been almost completely ignoring the whole thing....
Can anybody give me the Coles Notes on recent news or what the current status is?
Would it be a good time to buy a CR TDI now, or a bad time?

I'm trying to decide which way to go here...and my brain is stuck in the VE TDI era...

Back