Windows 10 pro - VCDS driver problems

Topgun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=213115
Hi, like many users I've just downloaded Windows 10 & my installed VCDS didn't work.

So I uninstalled & reinstalled VCDS again.

Message displayed: Cannot complete the device driver install wizard was the first major error message - that set alarm bells.

The events TAB of the HEX-USB Properties displayed these two errors:

1. - Ross Tech HEX-USB Device USB\VID_0403&PID_FA24\RT000001 requires further installation.
2. _ Driver Management concluded the process to install driver NULL Driver for Device Instance ID USB\VID_0403&PID_FA24\RT000001 with the following status: 0x0.

I tried to do a port test on my car using my OEM VCDS cable - the error message was: "Ross Tech USB interface not found! USB Library Version 03.02.07 Interface: Not Found!

Major issues remain with VCDS drivers errors, I'm unable to use VCDS totally.

Is this just me - or have other users had this problem - noting my computer skills are sub-optimal.

Naturally happy to take advice here - thanks.

Last edited:

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
So you are able to use VCDS right now, try and start VCDS Administrator.

Topgun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=213115
Sorry, not able to use VCDS totally - + unable find where this VCDS Admin thing is located. ??

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Can you get us a screenshot of the error message displayed by Windows?

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Normally installed here: c:\ross-tech\vcds\vcds.exe
Right click on vcds.exe
Run as Administrator

Topgun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=213115
Yep, always do that when installing s/w on computers.

Just downloaded VCDS this time on my old laptop which uses Windows 7 - no problems - so took a copy of these drivers and loaded on to Windows 10 laptop which had the original problem - no luck - it didn't like them.

Separately, just sent a document containing many screen shots of the error messages using Windows 10 - to Ross Tech Support - I hope you got it ?

Thanks

Topgun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=213115
Hi Ross-Tech - I hope you got the screen shots document - I sent you.??

Anyway I've uninstalled & re-installed VCDS several times now still no luck to getting this sucker to work.:banghead:

As for the drivers - I found that I couldn't uninstall these drivers - no matter what I did ???

Windows Driver Package Ross-Tech USB Driver Package (05/12/2014 2.10.00)
Windows Driver Package Ross-Tech HIDClass (02/13/2014 6.3.0.2)

Are these drivers corrupt maybe causing the problem ?

Thanks

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
I have been using Windows 10 since day one myself and had no issues. I tried reproducing your problem on a Win10 test machine, no luck - installs and works just fine. We also have NOT received any reports similar to yours as far as I can tell. Therefor it is very unlikely that the drivers are corrupt or incompatible...

At this point it appears that this is an isolated issue with your specific machine. Please provide some more details about the computer in question. Make, model and which operating system you have been running prior to Windows 10. Also, are you using any 3rd party antivirus or firewall applications? Any other diagnostic tools on there which use USB or general hardware that makes use of USB etc.? Have you checked with your computer/laptop vendor for updated drivers (specifically for the USB chipset)? Speaking of which, what USB chipset is used? Are these USB 2 or USB 3 ports?

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Yep, always do that when installing s/w on computers.
It is not about installing, please try this once.

Find the exe file with your file manager:
c:\ross-tech\vcds\vcds.exe
Right click on vcds.exe
Run as Administrator
Connect to a ECU.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
User/operator error is pretty much impossible, I don't see how one can screw up driver installations like this. I also don't think starting VCDS as Administrator will fix the driver installation issue and it also doesn't look like Toshiba has published Windows 10 drivers for this model either.

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/computers/kira/kirabook-touchscreen/psu8sa-00u00t/download

Based on what's on that page, it doesn't tell use which USB3 chipset is used. Can you check in the device manager what's listed under "universial serial bus controller"? Specifically type/model and vendor might be interesting. Maybe we can find you a newer driver for that chipset and get you going that way? Another possibility would be a clean Windows 10 install - as far as I understand you did upgrade from Windows 8.1 - which (reading through the forums) might have something to do with your issues.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Topgun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=213115
Ok, by what your telling me, Window 10 on my brand new Toshiba ain't up to the task just yet.

Bummer, ok, I'll blow away Windows 10 and revert back to Windows 8.1 by doing a complete re-install blowing away everything.

I'll then reload VCDS & try again, wish me luck.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Well, what I am trying to say is that Toshiba doesn't seem to have validated Windows 10 for your specific laptop model. This may or may not be related to driver issues with the components of the laptop itself. That said, it is also entirely possible that something didn't go fully right when you upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 - hence my recommendation that before you downgrade to Windows 8.1 you could as well do a clean Windows 10 install.

Last but not least, there is a 3rd possibility - our drivers not working well with whichever USB chipset drivers you have in the laptop at the moment. That is why I also suggested looking at the chipset type and trying to procure drivers through back channels to see if that makes a difference. The thing is, we haven't gotten any reports like this and all we can do at this point is guess. :(

FWIW, Microsoft themselves has suggested doing a clean boot on those scenarios... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 or a clean install if that doesn't help (based on the assumption that the currently installed system drivers are screwed up) - hence my recommendation above.

Topgun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=213115
Thanks Sebastian for your continued support & technical words & advice here, I really appreciate it.:)

The new Toshiba is currently off doing it's own thing.

I'll report back tomorrow on how things progress, including the chip set info you were after.

Cheers.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Internal, we have an email dated 9/17/2015 7:21 PM in Support > PS > VCDS driver problems? with some screen shots from the OP.

Topgun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=213115
Yaah!!! Windows 8.1 re-loaded - VCDS re-loaded - vehicle VCDS scan done with OEM CAN-HEX cable - all good - all firmware updated & working as advertised - back on-line, no problems.:)

Now for the USB details on my laptop requested:

There is 4 USB controllers:

1. Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Contoller - 0100 (microsft) Manufacturer: Generic USBxHCI Host Controller Date: 9/04/2015 Ver: 6.3.9600.17797

2. USB Composite Device - Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller Date: 21/06/2006 Ver: 6.3.9600.17238

3. USB Composite Device - Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller Date: 21/06/2006 Ver: 6.3.9600.17238

4. USB Root Hub (xHCI) - Manufacturer: (Standard USB HUBs) Date: 16/03/2015 Ver: 6.3.9600.17731

Don't know if the above details helps you ?:confused:

But some time in the future - the next couple of weeks - I will be re-installing Windows 10 again, I just hope there is no majors issues with VCDS drivers compatibility with Windows 10 on my computer?

Anyway - we are both for-warned here.

Thanks again

Back