009571 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit P2563

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Home Depot/ Lowes or any hardware store.......HVAC metal tape peal and fold...

This can and I do use it on OXS sensors for shield....... and strain relief.
If folded correctly it helps cool the component under the car grabbing the air for a convection point.

jimmyfrack

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=164848
As promised pictures of the engine and location of the vacuum line that melted. The first one below shows the engine on the top and the location of the TSB that was installed on the engine to prevent the intercooler from freezing up. The second half of the image shows my other engine without the TSB applied to it.
tsbvsnontsb.jpg

The next image below shows which line was the one that melted.
hosethatbroke.jpg

The next image shows where it goes under the intake right next to the coolant line
coolanthoserubbing2.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I would wrap with foil tape and tinfoil to make a barrier and then spooge RTV as a stand off so when it dries/cures it becomes a rubber mount.

This is a very common approved FAA aviation technique.......for vibration points.

ab1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=132570
Broken down in the North of Italy, vehicle in limp mode.

Hi there, apologies for resurrecting the old thread, but I am struggling with this same issue. My wife and I are on our year long sabbatical and our VW Crafter motorhome is our home.

The brief history of the 2010 VW Crafter base vehicle. At round 115,000 miles, new NOx sensor, O2 Lambda sensors changed. Nerings re-build turbo installed, due to the old one having "too much movement" by SMG Van in Croydon, UK.

The fault codes which were coming up prior to this work were:

009571 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit
P2563 - 000 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

008598 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1
P2196 - 000 - Signal too High (Rich) - MIL ON (and)
P0130 - 000 - Malfunction in Circuit - Intermittent

008863 - NOx Sensor 2 Bank 1
P229F - 000 - Implausible Signal

008871 - NOx Sensor 2 Bank 1; Heating Circuit
P22A7 - 000 - Implausible Signal

That work appeared to have fixed all of these.

Less than 3 thousand miles into our 12 months sabbatical on the continent (EU), the MIL light flashing, glow-plug light flashing and engine dropping in/out of limp mode. Switch off ignition for a bit, switch back on, OK for a bit then back to limp. In between, the turbo making a strange "whoosh" / "wobble" noise when de-powering between gear changes (when not-yet-in-limp-mode).

This seemed to happen after driving it hard up a couple of steep mountain passes in the north of Italy, then cooling down quickly in the camp site, high in the mountains.

VCDS came up with two faults in the engine module:

P2563 - 000 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 735 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.98 V
Temperature: 168.0°C
Lambda: -9.5 %
Bin. Bits: 00001110
Voltage: 2.736 V

More info: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18995/P2563/009571

000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Frequency: 1

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2961 /min
Speed: 59.0 km/h
Load: 50.6 %
Absolute Pres.: 2193.0 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 1581.0 mbar
Lambda: 78.1 %
Lambda: 3.2 %

Readiness: 0 1 0 0 1

More info: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16683/P0299/000665

The interesting point is that the 009571 code occurring prior to the re-conditioned turbo installation, re-occurred.

Took it to VW dealer in Italy, which made a provisional repair "comando geometria variabile turbo" (english: "command variable turbo") and then gave me a bill to replace the whole turbo for 2000 EUR, which I not so politely declined (as it took them a week to tell me that, while I was flushing money into temporary accommodation). Not having a job for a year, doesn't help either.

Anyway, after removing the car from the workshop as-is, it seemed to be working fine for a bit. I put some diesel engine cleaner in the tank when I filled it up and gave it an Italian tune-up for about 60 miles. I also sprayed WD-40 up and around the turbo actuator piston.

The glow-plugs/MIL lights still randomly come up and the glow-plugs light randomly disappears, all without any noticeable loss of power or strange noises from the turbo. The MIL light however will come up flashing about a minute into starting the engine (not yet moving) and after driving for a while, could sometimes come on solid, until I clear the faults with VCDS.

The only fault that keeps being (re)logged is the Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit. The second Boost Pressure Regulation fault has not come back.

I suspect either vacuum leaks, turbo actuator fault or simply carbo build-up in the turbo/sticking vane because of hard driving/fast cool down/crap tractor diesel. Could be a faulty sensor as well, although the Italian workshop checked all the electrical connections, presumably doing some form of sensor testing with an Ohm meter.

On advice from VWforum I've also disconnected the hose from the solenoid valve (the one that goes to the actuator) and sucked on it hard. I can see the piston moving. There appears to be a lot of resistance to my sucking efforts :) Note, there are no hose clamps on the hose between the actuator and the valve.

In either case, I don't think a new turbo-compressor is the most economical or environmentally friendly solution in this case.

So, does anyone have (a) any specific advice on how I can troubleshoot this further with very limited tools; and/or (b) know of a good independent mechanic in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Spain, or anywhere on the continent really, who can look at this problem without going straight down the turbo replacement route?

I know I can buy a new actuator (if this is indeed the problem), but I suspect I need to take it to a workshop which ill know what to do, otherwise I think i will get some blank stares.

I have VCDS with me and a multimeter, apart from some spanners, but not really enough to start pulling turbos off the engine :)

Any advice welcome!

Cheers!

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Where did You got this remanufactured turbo? Do You have any warranty on it? Full autoscan or at least all the engine data could be helpful, too.

ab1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=132570
The turbo is from Nerings in Latvia.

This is the full scan of the engine module:

Address 91: LT3 Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Control Module Part Number: 076 906 022 N HW: 076 906 022 G
Component and/or Version: R5 2,5L EDC A020SG 7731
Software Coding: 0003032
Work Shop Code: WSC 00117 555 00000
VCID: 1E33E8DDC9E8DEB2B2-804B
1 Fault Found:

P2563 - 000 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Frequency: 23

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 735 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.83 V
Temperature: 162.0°C
Lambda: -15.0 %
Bin. Bits: 00001110
Voltage: 1.520 V

Note, there is a parallel thread on VWforum regarding this issue (scroll to the end):
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...-coil-light-flashing-EML-(engine)-light/page3

Cheers!

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Check PM, please!

ab1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=132570
Just a quick update: had the vehicle in a local friendly workshop, which checked all the vacuum lines, pump, etc. The actuator held vacuum at 700mB, so everything seems OK from a mechanical stand-point.

The "implausible signal" is still coming up on the ECU every time the machine is started, but it doesn't seem to affect it's performance. It hasn't gone into limp mode since the initial incident 2-3 weeks ago.

Perhaps the issue is with one of the sensors...

ab1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=132570
After coming down from the altitude of around 1.5-2km, the problem went away and has not returned since.

Faulty atmospheric pressure sensor or ECU? Or is there a threshold/sensitivity that can be adjusted to stop it from spewing these errors at altitude?

ab1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=132570
Is it likely to be the ECU or the barometer/sensor (or both)? Are there any tests I can do with VCDS to prove categorically?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It's a tough one without a PSI tank, but you could log a mountain trip in VCDS advanced measuring values, and watch the BARO change I believe.

ab1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=132570
Great idea, I am going to do that and compare with sea-level results.

Back