Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speedometer Calibration

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    BTW: Don't calculate based on the analog gauges, if in doubt use the digital display as reference.
    Both the analog and digital speedometers read incorrectly. If I use anything for a reference, it would be my GPS of which I have three. Another thing I can do to confirm is to drive 10 kilometers using highway distance markers at a GPS speed of 100 KPH and it should take exactly 6 minutes. And if there is any doubt as to the accuracy of those distance markers, I can use another set further down the highway or better yet, take the time over a greater distance.

Also note that there are models which use secondary distance impulse number to calculate the distance travelled, so that may be off as well (meaning there may not be just 2 speeds you're looking at but 3)!
    I know my odometer is off as well and reads high, provided of course those distance markers are accurate.

I think the problem is that VW's cafeteria serves too much Augustiner Edelstoff to their employees.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been to übercam's two threads on the subject.

Unfortunately, nowhere in VCDS could I find that list of Distance Impulse Numbers. I had to go through the list in my opening post one by one to see what effect they had.

I would have expected a bigger difference between one case to the next and not the typical 1 KPH (in most cases).

BTW, if you are in Magdeburg, I was close as I drove up the A7 on my BMW motorcycle while on my way to Flensburg and then Løkken in Denmark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rotorhead23, I saw the title of your post and thought "here we go aga... Ah, you really do mean calibration, not 'calibration' "

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex, I agree we don't show correlating values at this point - they aren't documented so the only way to do so would be by checking each and every instrument cluster manually.

For our MY 2014 T5/California (Cluster P/N 7E0-920-870-J) I came up with...

1 = 20888 (2298 mm)
    2 = 21100 (2275 mm)
    3 = 21312 (2252 mm)
    4 = 21868 (2195 mm)
    5 = 23000 (2087 mm)
    6 = 23232 (2066 mm)
    7 = 23464 (2046 mm)

The single digits reflect the coding, the k-value/impulse number as well as the wheel circumference can be found in the measuring values though.
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

5. Likes Uwe, NEtech liked this post