Thread: HexNet working on Mac OS

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

HexNet working on Mac OS

This may be an uneducated question, but am I going to be able to use the full version and potential of hexnet (making changes to soft coding) all that type of stuff using my Mac? Or am I going to have to buy a PC?

Thanks in advance

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will need an internet connection to the HEX-NET to have access to more advanced functions. We have a function chart in our wiki showing the differences between PC and Mobile software. Functions that list Yes via cloud, are the ones that require the internet connection.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! So another question, where would I find a full description of the difference between running in infrastructure mode and AP?

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    AP Mode = no internet
    Access to read/clear/save Fault codes
    Access to Live data
    Access to Live Data Hud (gauges)

Infrastructure = connected to external router, can have internet. Assuming it has internet:
    Access to login
    Access to coding
    Access to Basic settings
    Access to Adaptions

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In AP mode, the HEX-NET is an access point that your computer or other device connects to. This allows communications between the HEX-NET and you computer or other device even in the middle of nowhere, with no other signals However, in AP mode, the HN has no way to connect to the internet or our servers. In Infrastructure mode, the HN connects to an existing WiFi network, presumably the same one your computer or phone connects to and if there's internet access available on that network, the HN can use it to talk to the VCDS Cloud server for increased functionality.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So infrastructure is really the way to go if you can, in terms of being able to do the most with the tool correct? Also being connected to the cloud.
    Last edited by Kale; 08-10-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it is.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I need "full functionality", I use my HEX-NET on my MacBook Pro (OS X Yosemite v10.10.4) running either Windows 7 or Windows 10 in a VM via Parallels Desktop -- Parallels is my personal preference, but other options include VWware Fusion [similar] or Bootcamp [requires reboot to Windows OS]). While this configuration may not officially be supported, I have not encountered any issues that I haven't been able to resolve.

9. Likes Uwe liked this post