2015 VW GTI DAP ACC Retrofit Coding?

insoc

Reaction score
Hello:

I recently got a 2015 GTI with the Drivers Assistance Package (DAP) which offers front and rear parking sensors and a forward shooting radar sensor that's mounted in the lower grill. I read that for 2016 VW will be adding more features to the DAP to offer Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Autonomous Braking which the 2015's did not have. They are also adding a few other features but these do not use the existing radar sensor in the front grill.

My question is, does anyone know if it will be possible through coding to activate the forward collision warning autonomous braking and ACC?

I know for ACC some hardware would be needed, steering wheel button which is currently a blank button the the steering wheel, for the Autonomous Braking I'm thinking possibly just coding but maybe there is a module that needs to be added or replace?

I searched online for ACC retrofits and did not find anything, thinking the car is too new in the US that nobody really tried it and it seems elsewhere it's already available. The radar sensor control module in my car is the J428 made by Bosch, supposedly? I know they are used in the US Spec Touareg and Audi models:

http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagnostic/ecu_11759.html

Hoping maybe this will be possible, since the current system is very limited in features.

Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The best way to make a judgement on what is and isn't possible, and what is and isn't needed to get it, would be to compare a full scan from your car to a full scan of a 2016 that has the features you want.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hello:

I recently got a 2015 GTI with the Drivers Assistance Package (DAP) which offers front and rear parking sensors and a forward shooting radar sensor that's mounted in the lower grill. I read that for 2016 VW will be adding more features to the DAP to offer Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Autonomous Braking which the 2015's did not have. They are also adding a few other features but these do not use the existing radar sensor in the front grill.

My question is, does anyone know if it will be possible through coding to activate the forward collision warning autonomous braking and ACC?

I know for ACC some hardware would be needed, steering wheel button which is currently a blank button the the steering wheel, for the Autonomous Braking I'm thinking possibly just coding but maybe there is a module that needs to be added or replace?

I searched online for ACC retrofits and did not find anything, thinking the car is too new in the US that nobody really tried it and it seems elsewhere it's already available. The radar sensor control module in my car is the J428 made by Bosch, supposedly? I know they are used in the US Spec Touareg and Audi models:

http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagnostic/ecu_11759.html

Hoping maybe this will be possible, since the current system is very limited in features.

Thanks

Insoc: You ask a very interesting question indeed! When I read your post, I immediately went to the PIN-OUT diagram for the front radar detector which looks a lot like the one in the picture below

nl2csWI.jpg

Nothing remarkable about the connector except that it receives information from the front camera (R242). I understand from discussions with your countrymen (in another forum) that NAR models with DAP don't have this camera. Does yours?

VW's material says that "The camera R242 is also a control unit. The control unit not only provides the signals for the adaptive cruise control but is also solely responsible for the functions main beam assist, dynamic light assist and traffic sign detection. However, the installation or activation of these functions is an optional extra."

Perhaps this is the embellishment that will be provided in 2016?
Don

PS: Mr Ross's suggestion that you post a copy of an autoscan report would make an interesting read!

insoc

Reaction score
The best way to make a judgement on what is and isn't possible, and what is and isn't needed to get it, would be to compare a full scan from your car to a full scan of a 2016 that has the features you want.

-Uwe-

Thanks for the response.

Since the 2016's with the enhanced DAP are hitting the streets, hopefully soon this info will be available.

insoc

Reaction score
Insoc: You ask a very interesting question indeed! When I read your post, I immediately went to the PIN-OUT diagram for the front radar detector which looks a lot like the one in the picture below

nl2csWI.jpg

Nothing remarkable about the connector except that it receives information from the front camera (R242). I understand from discussions with your countrymen (in another forum) that NAR models with DAP don't have this camera. Does yours?

VW's material says that "The camera R242 is also a control unit. The control unit not only provides the signals for the adaptive cruise control but is also solely responsible for the functions main beam assist, dynamic light assist and traffic sign detection. However, the installation or activation of these functions is an optional extra."

Perhaps this is the embellishment that will be provided in 2016?
Don

PS: Mr Ross's suggestion that you post a copy of an autoscan report would make an interesting read!

Thanks for the response.

Just a little background info as it appears things are not consistent across the globe with VW.

For 2015, the US Spec GTI came with a very limited feature Drivers Assistance Package which was priced at $695 for the package.

Features:

-Park Distance Control (Park Pilot), system only uses a total of 8 ultrasonic sensors (4 in front and 4 in the rear).
-Forward Collision Warning (Front Assist) see below as it's different.

System uses the radar module in the lower grill and only provides visual icons on the MFD showing an exclamation mark between two cars (in the lower left corner, very small) if driving too close and when it thinks a collision is imminent, the entire MFD will change to a different icon with a audio tone warning. The car will NOT autonomous brake, this feature was not offered for some reason on the 2015 package.

I'm sure mine has the J428 module in the lower grill, I know this is made by Bosch and it visually looks identical but maybe not internally?

No R242 camera on the 2015 DAP equipped cars.

The 2016 models that are just being released in the US now offer the DAP with almost all the features that were already available outside the US, albeit the option is now $1,495, not a bad value at all:

-Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
-Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist)
-Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist)
-Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert
-Park Distance Control (Park Pilot)
-Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist)

So far I have determined the following as possible retrofits based on some other forums and MKV and MKVI success:

-Park Steering Assistant (Park Assist)

-4 more sensors, one near each wheel
-Switch with Park Assist button
-Control Unit (Though I'm not sure if this is already existing for Park Pilot or a entirely new unit?)
-Coding

http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-golf-7-5g0-park-assist-pla-upgrade-set,id1462.html

Though this is not something on my list to do.

-ACC

Found this, what it involves is a guess to me? I was thinking most of what is needed is there in my car, besides some hardware, coding and etc.

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/volk...e-cruise-control-acc-vw-golf-vii-7?info=13005

Possibly need to add this Canbus if I dont' already have it?

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-7-5q/gateway-high-vw-golf-7

I only read that in the UK supposedly, the ACC works without use of the camera, not sure if this is the case as many stated their cars do not have the camera but have ACC and autonomous braking as well.

VW is not offering City Braking or Traffic Sign Recognition to the US Market, my belief is either the camera for the 2016 models with DAP in the USA, will only be used solely for the Lane Assist and possibly ACC, but details are not clear yet.

I believe retrofitting the other options, Lane Assist and Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert, would be cost prohibitive and require a lot of work. I read that with the addition of the R242 camera module, a new windshield is required with specific features for this option.

I'm in the process of purchasing a VCDS unit and do not have access to one currently, was waiting to see if anyone else was successful at doing a retrofit, but I have been unable to confirm it in the US as of this time.

Last edited:

Nuje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120875
After getting a MFSW with shift paddles, which *also* happens to have the ACC controls, now I want this on my 2015 Canadian Highline TDI.

Any further developments? I already have the front radar for "front assist"; I have the rain/light-sensing camera on the mirror, too, so it seems logical (at least to me; maybe not to VW) that I could/should be able to enable this somehow.

Anyone...?
Bueller...?

Nuje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120875
For anyone who found this thread, in answer to my own question, above....
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...rking-(module-good)-but-Not-Working-(no-ACC)/

With the final summation being thus:
Just to wrap this up and put a bow on it, I got it all working...(at about 11:45pm the other night...with no other cars out on the roads to show up on my instrument cluster :mad:)
ACC.working.png

I owe much MUCH thanks to user "downtime" - I was able to get the coding at least somewhat there, but without his help, I'm sure I'd still fighting my way through getting rid of errors.

Lots of details on the process in a thread I created over at TDIclub.

Much thanks to everyone here who helped out on this - such a great community!

Back