Thread: HEX NET: Explain 10 VIN to me...

Post Thanks / Like

HEX NET: Explain 10 VIN to me...

Hello,

Just picked up a 2008 Touareg and the VIN search tool suggested the HEX NET unit as an option.

I'm a bit confused on how the 10 VIN function works. Does this simply mean that only 10 vehicles data history is held in memory or the 11th VW it will not work on thus rending the unit in ops w/o a fresh install of the software on the OS or similar?

I understand the goal of this unit is for non professional use.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In principle, it means that you can't use it on more than 10 cars without upgrading the license to unlimited VINs. However, the reality is there's quite a bit you can do without "counting" a car's VIN toward the 10-VIN limit. I don't have an exhaustive list hand, but rest assured, if you're not working on cars for a living, chances are you won't hit the 10-VIN limit in the foreseeable future.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 08-18-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, very helpful. Not a repair shop but a lot of Vw in the clan...so wondering how quick it coiuld fill up over 4-6 years of use!

I've got a Vida Dice for Volvo and there are approx. 12 Volvos in my family and street...so I'm "that guy" but I understand the goal here.

Thanks again for your help.

4. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post