Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ross Tech USB cable doesn't fit Porsche

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jjd View Post
    Thanks, @Zenerdiode. I'll give it a try with more effort, but I already pushed so hard I was worried I was going to break something. You've given me the confidence to try again.
    No go with the added pressure. I pushed so hard that the ODBII socket moved inward half an inch, but still the connector wouldn't connect more than a couple mm.

I suspect maybe my 1997 (only one year after ODBII was made mandatory) might be different than your 2002.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, on the plus side, you're not missing out on much. I don't think you'd be able to do anything with VCDS that you couldn't do with a generic scanner on a '97 Boxster anyway. I highly doubt it's anything related to the pins or the shape of the port itself. Did you try removing the port from the car, let it dangle, and try plugging it in?

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yup, I think that's the next thing to do. Based on its color and appearance, I'm reasonably confident the socket from the same supplier that made/makes them for VW/Audi. That means the socket itself is certainly compatible with our plugs, and the most likely cause of the "incompatibility" is related to the way the way it's mounted.

Another possibility is that there's something blocking one of the individual pin sockets or (ostensibly "blank") holes. If you'd like, we'll snail-mail you a loose pin that you can try inserting into each of them one at a time to see if any of them is blocked.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Yup, I think that's the next thing to do. Based on its color and appearance, I'm reasonably confident the socket from the same supplier that made/makes them for VW/Audi. That means the socket itself is certainly compatible with our plugs, and the most likely cause of the "incompatibility" is related to the way the way it's mounted.

Another possibility is that there's something blocking one of the individual pin sockets or (ostensibly "blank") holes. If you'd like, we'll snail-mail you a loose pin that you can try inserting into each of them one at a time to see if any of them is blocked.

-Uwe-
    It is clear that it is not getting hung up on anything surrounding the socket -- there is nothing nearby that might cause problems and it feels as if it is being blocked in the middle. (Also, it feels like if you rock the cable side-to-side, each side can move down while something in the middle is blocking it.)

I wouldn't mind getting a loose pin for this idea: I tried this already using a toothpick, but the shape wouldn't let it go in far enough on any pin socket. DM me and I'll send my US mail address, if you don't already have it. Thanks!

--Jim--

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Are you still in the same place we shipped your interface to 5 years ago?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the car have a tracker fitted? I have fitted many OBD2 style trackers that have a Y cable which replaces the oem socket. Porsches use exactly the same Y cable as VAG. It may be worth checking that there is not 1 on these (with a badly copied socket) tucked up above the panel.

8. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Are you still in the same place we shipped your interface to 5 years ago?

-Uwe-
    Yes, my address is the same. Thank you. 01719

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey08 View Post
    Does the car have a tracker fitted? I have fitted many OBD2 style trackers that have a Y cable which replaces the oem socket. Porsches use exactly the same Y cable as VAG. It may be worth checking that there is not 1 on these (with a badly copied socket) tucked up above the panel.
    I'm not sure what a "tracker" is, but I've owned this car since new 18 1/2 years ago. There has never been anything in the ODBII socket other than for temporary diagnosis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjd View Post
    I'm not sure what a "tracker" is,
    In the UK the post office have a tracker system where you can check expected delivery date. Track and Trace - Track your Item

This tracker number is normally on the receipt/email. I assume the US has a similar system.
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

13. Likes smokey08 liked this post