Ross Tech USB cable doesn't fit Porsche

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
He only mentioned "tracker" I didn't think he meant a new vehicle as he's had this for 18.5 years. ;)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
You should have some pins on the way shortly. Don't get em stuck and ruin the port. :p

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
You should have some pins on the way shortly. Don't get em stuck and ruin the port. :p

Thank you very much, Andy. I use a needle nose pliers and held the pins at the same depth so that they would be as long as the ross-tech cable's pins.

I was able to insert the pins in each port to the requisite depth, so (sadly) I don't think the problem is blocked pin ports. But I have no other theory as to why I cannot fit the cable. The same cable works fine on both my Audis, but not on the Boxster.

When I rock the cable side to side, it feels as if each side can be pressed in further on each side, but there is something in the center that is holding it back. I'm kind of stuck at this point, but I very much appreciate all your help! :banghead:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
That's really weird. Is there anything broken off in the slot in the center of the port? Santos did that to his car, breaking off the "septum" between the rows of pins. It resulted in anyone else's interface being unable to fit in his car's port but his broken one of course fit fine. Diagnostic port security! :cool:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Heavy Trucks with 24V electrical systems use a scheme like that. To prevent letting the smoke out of 12V scan tools, they require a cut-out in the center of the plug:

30076-2_05_0520x0390_01.jpg

-Uwe-

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
That's really weird. Is there anything broken off in the slot in the center of the port? Santos did that to his car, breaking off the "septum" between the rows of pins. It resulted in anyone else's interface being unable to fit in his car's port but his broken one of course fit fine. Diagnostic port security! :cool:
It doesn't seem so. I took the pin you sent me and moved it through length of the slot for the center tab and couldn't find any obstructions.

I have ordered a BAFX Bluetooth OBDII scan tool which should arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how that works out.

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
My cheap $24 BAFX Bluetooth ODBII scan tool arrived and it fits my 1997 Porsche Boxster just fine, where my Ross-Tech cable will not.

Comparing the connectors, my only theory is that the center bar in the Ross-Tech cable is thicker than the center bar in the BAFX and perhaps that's too thick. In the photo below, the Ross-Tech cable is on the left and the BAFX on the right. (Note the much higher quality of the plastic on the Ross-Tech cable.)

boxster-obd2-compare1.jpg

Looking at the outside of the connectors, they look pretty identical in shape. (Ross-Tech on left.)

boxster-obd2-compare2.jpg

Perhaps in late 1996, when this 1997 Boxster was constructed, the exact dimensions of the connector weren't completely standardized.

lumnes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=42787
Tried my Micro-Can on my 2008 Cayman and exact same issue. Photo of the Porsche connector looks identical to mine.
Did anyone ever resolve the fit issue?

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Yes, there are several ways. If you know the pin layouts, you can simply “sting” from the old OBD plug. The second adapter, pictured right, male-female.

TZdtEG3.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Tried my Micro-Can on my 2008 Cayman and exact same issue. Photo of the Porsche connector looks identical to mine.
Did anyone ever resolve the fit issue?
Look what I found -- dimensional and clearance ("Access area") specs for the J1962 connector:

I am pretty dang confident that our connector is in compliance with those specs. :)

On VW/Audi products, when people have "fit" issues, it's always a problem with the way that the socket is installed in the vehicle; the access area specs were disregarded, and this is most common in RHD cars, where mounting of the socket seems to be an afterthought.

Now a Cayman in the US likely isn't a RHD car, but if the socket in it is the same purple socket that VW/Audi uses, then I really doubt that our plug won't fit the socket.

-Uwe-

Last edited:
Back