Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ross Tech USB cable doesn't fit Porsche

Post Thanks / Like
    He only mentioned "tracker" I didn't think he meant a new vehicle as he's had this for 18.5 years.
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have some pins on the way shortly. Don't get em stuck and ruin the port.

3. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You should have some pins on the way shortly. Don't get em stuck and ruin the port.
    Thank you very much, Andy. I use a needle nose pliers and held the pins at the same depth so that they would be as long as the ross-tech cable's pins.

I was able to insert the pins in each port to the requisite depth, so (sadly) I don't think the problem is blocked pin ports. But I have no other theory as to why I cannot fit the cable. The same cable works fine on both my Audis, but not on the Boxster.

When I rock the cable side to side, it feels as if each side can be pressed in further on each side, but there is something in the center that is holding it back. I'm kind of stuck at this point, but I very much appreciate all your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's really weird. Is there anything broken off in the slot in the center of the port? Santos did that to his car, breaking off the "septum" between the rows of pins. It resulted in anyone else's interface being unable to fit in his car's port but his broken one of course fit fine. Diagnostic port security!

6. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Heavy Trucks with 24V electrical systems use a scheme like that. To prevent letting the smoke out of 12V scan tools, they require a cut-out in the center of the plug:

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    That's really weird. Is there anything broken off in the slot in the center of the port? Santos did that to his car, breaking off the "septum" between the rows of pins. It resulted in anyone else's interface being unable to fit in his car's port but his broken one of course fit fine. Diagnostic port security!
    It doesn't seem so. I took the pin you sent me and moved it through length of the slot for the center tab and couldn't find any obstructions.

I have ordered a BAFX Bluetooth OBDII scan tool which should arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how that works out.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    My cheap $24 BAFX Bluetooth ODBII scan tool arrived and it fits my 1997 Porsche Boxster just fine, where my Ross-Tech cable will not.

Comparing the connectors, my only theory is that the center bar in the Ross-Tech cable is thicker than the center bar in the BAFX and perhaps that's too thick. In the photo below, the Ross-Tech cable is on the left and the BAFX on the right. (Note the much higher quality of the plastic on the Ross-Tech cable.)

Looking at the outside of the connectors, they look pretty identical in shape. (Ross-Tech on left.)

Perhaps in late 1996, when this 1997 Boxster was constructed, the exact dimensions of the connector weren't completely standardized.