Auto-Scan Testing: 2006 VW Phaeton W12

steveskinr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=119062
The car has all options to include 270 watt stereo, or should I say quad?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thanks. Very much.
No -- it is we who owe you thanks. We ended up needing more time with the car than I would have expected. It reminded us just how many goofy exceptions there are in those first generation KWP-2000 modules. There's an old saying: "The thing I like best about standards is how many ways there are to interpret them." :rolleyes:

-Uwe-

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Desktop Beta 14.6.1, CB 4107, FW 0184.
Both USB and WiFi can talk to everything consistently. WiFi performs quite well provided the WiFi signal is solid. I will say it's very easy to run into things that look like VCDS problems, but are in fact fringe WiFi range problems.
If Ross-Tech doesn't have a good network-impairment simulation setup already, take a look at Dummynet.

Thanks for pointing us in that direction. Even though Dummynet doesn't work for us in the context of VCDS under Windows talking wirelessly to the HEXNET, we found a similar but easier to implement Windows utility that doesn't require us to sign 64bit drivers :) : Clumsy . This is going to enable us to simulate various issues starting with latency and hopefully make the comms between VCDS and HEXNET more robust over wifi.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Thanks for pointing us in that direction. Even though Dummynet doesn't work for us in the context of VCDS under Windows talking wirelessly to the HEXNET,
Yeah, it would generally require inserting a machine in-between acting as a router. It would be rather inconvenient to test Desktop connectivity in AP mode this way; it would be a bit easier with Infrastructure. At the time it first came up (in PM with Uwe) I was thinking it would be useful when looking into Mobile-to-Cloud chat troubles, where inserting a network element would be more convenient. Mobile to Cloud seemed like it had the same kind of sensitivity as VCDS Desktop, with far more exposure and vulnerability.

we found a similar but easier to implement Windows utility that doesn't require us to sign 64bit drivers :) : Clumsy . This is going to enable us to simulate various issues starting with latency and hopefully make the comms between VCDS and HEXNET more robust over wifi.
That... is pretty darn cool. I just spent a while reading up on it. Much less of a setup burden and it works on the local machine itself; very well suited for your purposes. I'm keeping that one bookmarked for myself too.

Jason

Back