Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Auto-Scan Testing: 2006 VW Phaeton W12

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The car has all options to include 270 watt stereo, or should I say quad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steveskinr View Post
    Thanks. Very much.
    No -- it is we who owe you thanks. We ended up needing more time with the car than I would have expected. It reminded us just how many goofy exceptions there are in those first generation KWP-2000 modules. There's an old saying: "The thing I like best about standards is how many ways there are to interpret them."

-Uwe-

3. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    Desktop Beta 14.6.1, CB 4107, FW 0184.
    Both USB and WiFi can talk to everything consistently. WiFi performs quite well provided the WiFi signal is solid. I will say it's very easy to run into things that look like VCDS problems, but are in fact fringe WiFi range problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    If Ross-Tech doesn't have a good network-impairment simulation setup already, take a look at Dummynet.
    Thanks for pointing us in that direction. Even though Dummynet doesn't work for us in the context of VCDS under Windows talking wirelessly to the HEXNET, we found a similar but easier to implement Windows utility that doesn't require us to sign 64bit drivers : Clumsy . This is going to enable us to simulate various issues starting with latency and hopefully make the comms between VCDS and HEXNET more robust over wifi.

5. Likes Uwe, jakematic, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Thanks for pointing us in that direction. Even though Dummynet doesn't work for us in the context of VCDS under Windows talking wirelessly to the HEXNET,
    Yeah, it would generally require inserting a machine in-between acting as a router. It would be rather inconvenient to test Desktop connectivity in AP mode this way; it would be a bit easier with Infrastructure. At the time it first came up (in PM with Uwe) I was thinking it would be useful when looking into Mobile-to-Cloud chat troubles, where inserting a network element would be more convenient. Mobile to Cloud seemed like it had the same kind of sensitivity as VCDS Desktop, with far more exposure and vulnerability.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    we found a similar but easier to implement Windows utility that doesn't require us to sign 64bit drivers : Clumsy . This is going to enable us to simulate various issues starting with latency and hopefully make the comms between VCDS and HEXNET more robust over wifi.
    That... is pretty darn cool. I just spent a while reading up on it. Much less of a setup burden and it works on the local machine itself; very well suited for your purposes. I'm keeping that one bookmarked for myself too.

Jason