Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 A4 B7 2.0T - cranks, no start, no error codes

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jef View Post
    I don't think the Immobilizer is the issue. The ECM doesn't have a "Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer" type fault code, and no codes in the Immobilizer as well. Go into the Immob module and see if it allows engine start.

25-08-022.1, should have a value of "1" which means the Immobilizer will allow and engine start.
    Click here to see what that means.

If the Immobilizer was kicking in, the engine would start, but only run for a second or two, then shut down.... so you would get "fire" briefly.
    You're correct, it shows a 1.

Noticed an oddity, though... every so often, if I stay in this module, the 4 value fields flash real quick and say "Data for group 022 not available", ... and then it goes away and comes back with the green values of "1" (engine start permitted = 1 / Engine responds=1, Key status=1, No of adapted keys =4). Not sure what to make of this.

I'm trying to give as much info as possible, so as to make it easier for someone with more experience to make a judgment... Jeff, your first reply to this thread said "do a compression test" ... Forgive my ignorance/lack of knowledge of mechanical methodology, but how? AFAIK, compression measurement is done after engine is warmed up... This little engine is cranking but not starting at all... are any numbers of any use if the engine is cold? Am I thinking of something different than what you're thinking?
    Last edited by A4Trial; 08-12-2015 at 11:10 PM.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please see what the value is here for immobilizer status 0x01-10-091
    ( Value 1 means Immobilizer disabled 0 not married and 4 Means married matched )

Fuses?
    This sure does sound like a bad terminal 15 or supply bus issue on a relay.
    Could even be a faulty ignition switch during crank and no ecu voltage during crank circuit initiated with key.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd do a compression test too.

Does it SOUND like it has compression???

Not saying this is your problem, but it's an example of weird things that can hapen!

I've had several cars, where the oil oressure being so high from a cold start, pressurized the lifters, and if it was last run for a very short period (say 20 seconds) then switched off, next start time you started it, the lifters hold the valves open and you have no compression.

I've done it on our BMW with M54 engine, and on a couple of Subarus.

The BMW starts, but runs lumpy, and cuts fuel to the affected cylinder, until the lifter closes enough to allow the valves to close properly. On the SUbaru, it wouldn't start, but would crank and crank for ages. It only started after cranking for several minutes, with a mix of full throttle (fuel cut to avoid flooding) and very nearly full throttle (for a little fuel every now and then), then it would start on one cylinder, then another, then another etc. It also once stopped on me, at the end of my road, and did the same thing.

The BMW only ever did it on one cylinder, but the subaru would crank with NO compression initially. First time, I thought it'd broken a cam belt!

4. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great post NZ.... I always love basics......

Further OP you should log RPM ref in VCDS ADV measuring blocks while cranking, for G28 and G40....... to see if you are getting signals.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    That is a great post NZ.... I always love basics......
    Jef said it first

and I AM basic

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please see what the value is here for immobilizer status 0x01-10-091
    ( Value 1 means Immobilizer disabled 0 not married and 4 Means married matched )
    Stored value = 4

Will look for Term 15 in a few, will update post.
    Last edited by Uwe; 08-14-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Fixed QUOTE tags

8. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NZDubNurd View Post
    I'd do a compression test too.

Does it SOUND like it has compression???
    It actually does, on the first cylinder, when I crank it for the first time after a 24-hr or so break. (This is why in my initial description I was saying that the first cylinder tries to run, but the other 3 don't want to follow). If I try that a second time, it no longer feels that it has compression.
    I just bought a compression test kit, will post results tomorrow.
    Last edited by A4Trial; 08-13-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man I hope the HPP isn't bad or the cam adjuster stripped key-way or jumped chain.

Check base timing......

Yeah 4 is correct........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man I hope the HPP isn't bad or the cam adjuster stripped key-way or jumped chain.

Check base timing......

Yeah 4 is correct........
    What measuring blocks am I looking for for the speed sensor (G28), camshaft (G40) and for timing?
    Is camshaft 01-08-091? If so - in watching the graph, engine speed (cranking) goes to 200 RPM, camshaft duty cycle moves from 7.1% (engine still) to 7.8% (engine cranking), camshaft adjustment (spec) static at 28 deg KW and camshaft adjustment (act)static at same 28 deg KW

HPP in your note - HPFP? I've already chaged it, to no avail, so I know that's not it. I've re-used the low pressure fuel sensor, if that would cause anything... but I doubt it.
    Last edited by A4Trial; 08-14-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question ?

If you spray carb cleaner in intake will engine run briefly after cranked?
    What are plugs condition and do you have spark?

I'm baffled here - I picked this '08 A4 B7 up from an auction (at 66k miles); it was reversed into (thus, front-end damage only, no bags deployed). Previous owner seems to have done some "work" on the engine - found the timing belt skipped 3 teeth over (beyond) the camshaft sprocket timing align mark(that's about 5 degrees advance); fixed it; engine cranked - but no start. On first crank it seemed the horse in one of the cylinders wanted to pull the cart, but that was it. The other 3 cylinders didn't want to follow.
    Have you checked Key-ways on cam sprocket or crank gear......... and did you check pin float on cam adjuster unit.

Does the engine have bent valves?