Thread: Gateway installation list question

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Gateway installation list question

Did an autoscan today (I have not included it as its not relevant to this post). I noticed that module 04-Steering Angle, which is in the gateway installation list marked with Status: OK 0000 was not in the detailed list below it. I tried to select the module directly but repeatedly got a 'no response from controller' message. However when I checked all my logs from the past year I noticed that this has been the case for all my autoscans but this is the first time I have noticed!

I use the VCDS Windows application exclusively because I prefer it, and have the "Auto-detect (CAN only)" set for chassis type. This consistently includes module 04 in the list, but no module detail because of course it has never responded. I did two autoscans with VCDS mobile about a year ago, and in these logs module 04 does NOT appear in the installation list. So is there a VCDS bug here? It seems that if the VCDS application gets the module list from my gateway module 04 is included although there is no controller, whereas when I used VCDS mobile it does not get included in the installation list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know the exact reasons why 04-Steering Angle Sensor has an entry in the Gateway Installation List, but on many cars it does. I've never seen a scan where it's actually accessible to a scan tool, not ours, and not the dealers' either. I think at one point, we may have suppressed it from the Installation List because its presence there was causing people to ask why they couldn't access it, but there has also been speculation that it may become accessible in some future models. That doesn't seem to have happened yet. As for a a discrepancy between the current versions of VCDS and VCDS-Mobile: That's possible. Would it constitute a bug? Maybe a very minor one, bordering on cosmetic, because it currently doesn't make any difference whether 04-Steering Angle Sensor appears in the Gateway Installation List or not.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Uwe. I'm still amazed that I only just noticed it!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at how the G85 is wired on some cars, it's not a regular sub-system but actually directly connected to CAN-Powertrain which is why the Gateway needs it's address to properly route the messages sent/received by it. Up 'til a while ago there were no models that had a diagnostic capable G85 but then things change and we actually have seen some rare models (Chinese market for example) where the G85 is in fact diagnostic capable.
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

5. Likes Eric, Uwe, NEtech, Dana liked this post