HexNet working on Mac OS

Kale

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=254307
This may be an uneducated question, but am I going to be able to use the full version and potential of hexnet (making changes to soft coding) all that type of stuff using my Mac? Or am I going to have to buy a PC?

Thanks in advance

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You will need an internet connection to the HEX-NET to have access to more advanced functions. We have a function chart in our wiki showing the differences between PC and Mobile software. Functions that list Yes via cloud, are the ones that require the internet connection.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

Kale

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=254307
Thanks! So another question, where would I find a full description of the difference between running in infrastructure mode and AP?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
AP Mode = no internet
Access to read/clear/save Fault codes
Access to Live data
Access to Live Data Hud (gauges)

Infrastructure = connected to external router, can have internet. Assuming it has internet:
Access to login
Access to coding
Access to Basic settings
Access to Adaptions

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In AP mode, the HEX-NET is an access point that your computer or other device connects to. This allows communications between the HEX-NET and you computer or other device even in the middle of nowhere, with no other signals However, in AP mode, the HN has no way to connect to the internet or our servers. In Infrastructure mode, the HN connects to an existing WiFi network, presumably the same one your computer or phone connects to and if there's internet access available on that network, the HN can use it to talk to the VCDS Cloud server for increased functionality.

-Uwe-

Kale

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=254307
So infrastructure is really the way to go if you can, in terms of being able to do the most with the tool correct? Also being connected to the cloud.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, it is.

-Uwe-

visortgw

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=35806
When I need "full functionality", I use my HEX-NET on my MacBook Pro (OS X Yosemite v10.10.4) running either Windows 7 or Windows 10 in a VM via Parallels Desktop -- Parallels is my personal preference, but other options include VWware Fusion [similar] or Bootcamp [requires reboot to Windows OS]). While this configuration may not officially be supported, I have not encountered any issues that I haven't been able to resolve. :o

Reactions: Uwe
Back