hex net does not work well enough to trust. have to use hex can cable

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
software is updated.

Are you referring to the VCDS software , or the HEX-NET internal software. There was several updates done to the HEX-NET. Can you open the USB utility and post a screen shot of the version numbers listed?

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
sure, I can get that info. try later today. question or thought- I almost left the adapter in a car. is it possible to make a little device that would clip onto the hex net adapter and plug into the usb port and have a little led light or strobe light? thinking it might be easier to notice a light flashing under the dash and maybe less likely to forget the adapter. just an idea, im sure others have had the same thought. thanks

not sure how to upload a picture, however there was an update for the adapter. adapter should now be updated

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You're plugging the HEX-NET in directly, under the dash? I can see a home user doing that, but in a shop environment, I'd be using one of our OBD extensions. Keep it attached to the HEX-NET, plug the extension into the car and put the HEX-NET up on the dash. That makes it much less likely you'll forget it in the car, less likely you'll damage it with clumsy footwork, and you get better signal that way too. ;)

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
sure, I can get that info. try later today. question or thought- I almost left the adapter in a car. is it possible to make a little device that would clip onto the hex net adapter and plug into the usb port and have a little led light or strobe light? thinking it might be easier to notice a light flashing under the dash and maybe less likely to forget the adapter. just an idea, im sure others have had the same thought. thanks

not sure how to upload a picture, however there was an update for the adapter. adapter should now be updated

I use this:

6pxVsq6.png
[/IMG]

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
thanks, I have a tail on my adapter similar to that one. did not know there was an extension cable like that available. I have one that is about 15", ill try it

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
hexnetkey.jpg

Reactions: Uwe

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
just uploaded a debug. at the moment I can not use the hex net. will just freeze up vcds........

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There's something wrong there if it freezes up VCDS.

-Uwe-

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
I had a feeling. have spoken about this in the past, have uploaded debugs. these are the problems I run into many times everyday---
using windows 7 with the hex net connecting to wifi network.

1. when first plugging in I let it sit for about a min or two. then open vcds, it will error the first time trying to open 01 almost everytime. then open 01 and check dtc or whatever.
2. often time freezes when watching any mvb, sometimes starts to work again, sometimes just closes the controller.
3. still doesn't like working with tcms.
4. really does not like any tdi.
5. 09+ tdi must use hex can cable. hex net will not open 01.
6. often times when trying to open 01 vcds will freeze, screen goes pale vcds windows fade into the background, must use task manager to kill vcds process, not just ending the .exe, that wont work, must kill the process.

again, these problems happen many times everyday. I just thought this was a normal condition at this point in time. am I wrong?
thanks again for the help

Last edited:

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
constant freezing up. I don't get it. 02 gti. really?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
constant freezing up. I don't get it. 02 gti. really?

I don't either, I've scan many cars with VCDS + HEX-NET over wifi and have not run into these issues.

I need a refresher... Do you have any software security packages (norton, mcafee , etc) installed on this computer? Does it also freeze when plugged in via usb? What about in AP mode?

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
hi- nothing added to the laptop. asus laptop via wifi. intel i7 8 gigs of ram. no extra security. quickbooks installed and running. this happens via wifi, cant use AP mode because it causes problems with quickbooks. I normally only use it via wifi. however last week (or so) Uwe asked me to plug in the usb cable with the hexnet and try, same problems, he said that was not correct. no changes have been made or advised. I have also changed my router, no help there either. it actually crashed explorer today.....! it also seems since vcds and hexnet firmware update this freezing problem happens on all cars now. I am also using a 15" extension for the hexnet. only 60 feet from the router, 8 feet from the repeater. today on an 02 gti vcds froze up so badly that windows would not respond, I was trying to set throttle adap, it just set over and over and over again- had to pull hex net from the car. these types of problems are constant. I find it hard to believe nobody else runs into this
thanks

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am also using a 15" extension for the hexnet.

Where did you get this extension? Have you tried the HN with out the extension? Also, do you have any other laptop in the shop you can test with?

edit; We're trying to get to the bottom of this asap. We are sending you another HEX-NET, a USB Extension and a Right angle extension. It will arrive on friday. Please test and let us know if it fixes your issues.

Last edited:

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
thank you very much. this is an older extension, has all the pins, I believe its vw. yes the problems existed before I started using the extension. started using the extension about 3 days ago, no change when using it. yes, I have used another pc, same result

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
thanks for getting back to us. You should receive a tracking number later today.

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
I wanted to say thanks again. I am however concerned that the adapter itself could be ok and its more a firmware or software problem. before I plug in the new adapter is there anything else I can do to verify the adapter really does need to be replaced? i have done a full uninstall and reinstall of vcds.
thanks

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I dont think there is a way to verify . The issues you are running into are very unique. We want to rule out the interface and then work from there.

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
hello, received the adapter and the cables on Friday. thanks. I have had the chance to use it this weekend several times. it does seem to be working much better. not sure exactly what or why but vcds does seem to run better, smoother. fewer delays maybe 1 error, maybe. all in all it does seem much better. again thanks very much

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
hello- just wanted to check and see if there was a fix for the communication problems with the 2010 era tdi vehicles? also, have the same problem with 01 eurovan. other models do not have this problem. must use hex can when working on these vehicles
thanks
zach

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
We have an 01 Eurovan as our "Company Truck". No issues. There must be something different on the left coast. ;)

-Uwe-

Back