hex net does not work well enough to trust. have to use hex can cable

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
hex net is hit and miss. only use it with vcds. have tried mobile and web interfaces, seem ok. vcds is very slow to open, very slow to switch screens. at times vcds will freeze, screen goes light in color. when this happens I need to use task manager to kill the vcds process. need to use config. utility almost every time vcds is opened or I switch control modules. sometimes it just errors out or some times very slow. new cars, especially tdi get control modules not supported. not a tool at this point I can rely on. currently working on 2010 jetta tdi. the hex net will not check dtc in engine control unit, says it is not supported. hex can has no troubles with the car. is there a list of vehicles that the hex net does or does not work with? note- hex can works fine with the exception of errors in tcms at times

Last edited:

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What are the specs of the computer you are using? What type of router?

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
asus laptop model u46e. windows 7
net gear WNDR3700v3

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
asus windows 7 64 bit, I7 2.8 8 gigs of ram

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I dont think this is a hardware issue. It sounds like Windows may have a non windows process slowing down the PC and causing problems ( TCM issues with HEX+CAN can be caused by this) .

Under windows try the following:

Click start
search for Msconfig
Click the Services tab
Check the box that says "Hide All Microsoft services" Be sure to check this box, If you don't you will have bigger PC issues.
Press the button that says "disable All"
press ok, then restart the machine.

Windows will now boot with only the required services running. Try the HEX-NET again and see if it's corrected.

Reactions: Uwe

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
will try. question- if I do have a process causing a problem, would I see this same problem using the web interface while still using my wireless network? in other words, when using the wireless and this problem occurs, if I open a web page and use the web based vcds will I see the same problems?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No, you shouldn't see the same problem.

My recommendation is to treat them as two unique issues.

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
hello,
all non Microsoft process have been stopped. scanned 2 different vehicle, 2000 eurovan, 03 jetta. both vehicles vcds will continue to error, freeze. does not seems as though stopping the process has made a difference

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
was this over wifi, or usb?

can you go into options, Set debug level to 1024, and scan again.

Then once it freezes, close out of VCDS and go to C:/ross-tech/VCDS/Debug and email us the files.

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
will do. this is done over wifi using the vcds windows exe, not the web app. I do not see too many problems with autoscan, normally it is while watching mvbs or checking dtc in engine ecu. will upload file next it happens

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
hi, I noticed when I changed the debug level to 1024 many go the problems stop. is there a reason for this? how often do I need to change the debugging to 1024? 1 time or every time I open the program?
also, over this past weekend the hex net lost save networks and would only work in ap mode. seems to be working now, very slow to test in the options screen during testing

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1024 only needs to be run once. It will generate files that we can use to debug the issue.

In the about screen, Can you try changing the BLK int value to 100 and see if that helps.

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
question- how do I delete old files from the cloud? how do I log something, save it, then open it with v/c scope without errors stating its not an original vcds file. I can save from laptop used vcds. however, If I save it to the hex net, upload to the cloud, download to a pc I get that error. nothing has been changed

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
question- how do I delete old files from the cloud?
At the moment, it doesn't look like you can (yet).

how do I log something, save it, then open it with v/c scope without errors stating its not an original vcds file. I can save from laptop used vcds. however, If I save it to the hex net, upload to the cloud, download to a pc I get that error. nothing has been changed
Got a docid or two we can/should look at?

-Uwe-

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
zach, try deleting the first line (#HNdoc ) in the log file prior to opening in VCScope.

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
thanks, deleting the first line did the trick

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
just uploaded debug file from vcds. used the upload debug/log file in vcds under applications

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
thanks, We will take a look at get back to you.

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
hello, I can try ap mode. normally I believe it works ok. however, wireless is the best way for me to use the device. my laptop runs wireless. question- my laptop does have several wireless adapters. can I use one of them as a repeater for the wireless signal from the router? or is that not really a question for you? also, if I were to replace the router which one would you recommend? i do want one with multiple wireless signals for business and customer use. thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
AP mode is wireless. ;)

If you have multiple wireless cards in your computer, you could use one to connect to the HN in AP mode while the other connects to your usual network. Provided your usual network is not 192.168.0.x, Windows should handle that entirely gracefully.

I haven't a clue whether you can use them as a "repeater".

How far is the HN from your router? What kind of signal strength does it show for your router?

IMO, the best solution to a signal strength problem is not to replace your existing router, but to add an additional access point near where you're using your devices. That could be almost any cheap router, since your customers don't need access to it.

-Uwe-

Back