Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MIB 2 and the possibility of Retrofitting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vystrcil View Post
    I just got my cable today. I have a 2016 Jetta GLI SEL with all the bells and whistles. Not trying to brag, just meaning that I will post my auto scan so everyone can have it
    Does your unit have VIDEO sub-menu?
    The unit i posted doesn't. Kinda downgrade when comparing to 510
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello anyone.

Does the MIB2 unit in non-MQB show climatronic info when changing temp?
    Huge Thanks!
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I mounted 3D cluster on a Tigun 5N from 2013 with the last Gateway BC/AN that show 5F, everything enabled at the dealer,
    When trying to remove CP from the Radio is shows that the Gateway 19 must do basic compoentns protections; and there is no options to do that
    This looks like that the gateway must ask for CP adaptation, but this have not happen ! even the dealer dont understan why, even after powercycle same issue !
    Any pointer ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhafer View Post
    Hi,
    I mounted 3D cluster on a Tigun 5N from 2013 with the last Gateway BC/AN that show 5F, everything enabled at the dealer,
    When trying to remove CP from the Radio is shows that the Gateway 19 must do basic compoentns protections; and there is no options to do that
    This looks like that the gateway must ask for CP adaptation, but this have not happen ! even the dealer dont understan why, even after powercycle same issue !
    Any pointer ?
    Your VIN not assosiated with discovery radio. Thats it.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    any way to do the association ?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ive been reading this thread which a friend of mine forwarded to me and I can't help but wonder if anyone has tried to do an EEPROM comparison yet? Read the EEPROM in a
    Factory state before it goes into CP mode. Place it in a vehicle which places the unit into CP mode, and then re-read the EEPROM to compare the HEX that was altered. That way the CP mode can be isolated and potentially overwritten by comparing what's changed. In that way, you can spoof it into believing it never left the original vehicle. I would also try isolate the VIN if it's being stored in the unit (not sure from the thread here if it actually is storing it or not).

7. Likes NitrousOxide liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usafltg View Post
    ive been reading this thread which a friend of mine forwarded to me and I can't help but wonder if anyone has tried to do an EEPROM comparison yet? Read the EEPROM in a
    Factory state before it goes into CP mode. Place it in a vehicle which places the unit into CP mode, and then re-read the EEPROM to compare the HEX that was altered. That way the CP mode can be isolated and potentially overwritten by comparing what's changed. In that way, you can spoof it into believing it never left the original vehicle. I would also try isolate the VIN if it's being stored in the unit (not sure from the thread here if it actually is storing it or not).

hmm........interesting suggestion, but my understanding is that the master for the entire CP constellation is the CAN Gateway. So, when the CAN Gateway sees that the identity of a module in the constellation is not the same as in the previous ignition cycle, the "offending unit" is instructed by J533 to go into CP mode.

This suggests that a CP error might not be an EEPROM state in the new module - but rather it might be an instruction from the CAN Gateway which persists until the identity of the new module is correctly registered in J533 (as being the identity of the new module that the CAN gateway saw at the previous ignition cycle) - maybe?

I've heard that some third party MIB suppliers have managed to remove CP errors from their units - so I had assumed that these devices simply don't recognize the CP instruction from J533 - but I'm guessing!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 05-11-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    hmm........interesting suggestion, but my understanding is that the master for the entire CP constellation is the CAN Gateway. So, when the CAN Gateway sees that the identity of a module in the constellation is not the same as in the previous ignition cycle, the "offending unit" is instructed by J533 to go into CP mode.

This suggests that a CP error might not be an EEPROM state in the new module - but rather it might be an instruction from the CAN Gateway which persists until the identity of the new module is correctly registered in J533 (as being the identity of the new module that the CAN gateway saw at the previous ignition cycle) - maybe?

I've heard that some third party MIB suppliers have managed to remove CP errors from their units - so I had assumed that these devices simply don't recognize the CP instruction from J533 - but I'm guessing!

Don
    Interesting... I have not heard of these "MIB" suppliers per say, unless there is a more up to date thread. That being said, even if the instruction set is being issued from the GW (J533), the unit itself goes into some shut down / protected mode... Which to me, indicates something must have changed on the UNITS EEPROM.

Previously, I was able to successfully do an EEPROM comparison of 2 different comfort modules/IMMOs on a 2010 CC which had been upgraded with a 2013 J533 and a dash retrofit. Unfortunately changing the gateway alone caused a plethora of other errors, including an ELV error that prevented the steering wheel to lock. However, I was able to determine that there was a 1 pin wire difference that needed to be corrected between the original ELV and the new comfort module.... But, how could you adapt a new CCM to an older car? I took to the EEPROMs of both units and isolated the HEX values that contained the Immobilizer information. I then took that piece of code, and replaced it on the new CCM.

This resulted in a perfect adaptation of the keys and original functionality of the car blended with new functionality of the CCM without errors. I documented this on the vwvortex forums.

I would suspect (although I have no way of testing) that the same basic principles could apply in this scenario having the proper J533 installed.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about the MIB units...this is speculation...

The MIB is a much more complicated piece of kit than an a CCM or similar control module.
    I've also done CCM swap by copying the EEPROM contents, similarly with ABS modules, door controllers etc.
    But the MIB is essentially a custom linux computer. it has 32GB of onboard NAND flash (there may additionally be some other smaller storage such as one or more EEPROMs as well, there probably is some sort of boot ROM for example)
    Whilst not impossible, it would be a considerable task to dump and compare the contents of the flash storage as it would change constantly just in normal operation.
    The working solution to the 8 hour countdown timer has already been found and it is a hardware modification of the mainboard.

In terms of creating a 'factory' style working CP environment in to which a new MIB is introduced (or other similarly protected module) you would likely need to have a suitable CP capable gateway, CCM and instrument cluster at a minimum on a PQ platform car I believe. Then they would all need to be blessed by VW online tools to be allowed to work together.

Hopefully those more knowledgeable than me will provide some more useful information.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|Discover Media
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|Full colour MFD|Quad LED tail rings| Climatronics upgrade| Dynaudio retrofit | B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|TPMS Direct|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM Retrofit|HBA/FLA

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Climatronics display on PQ:

Don't believe this is a supported feature unfortunately.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|Discover Media
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|Full colour MFD|Quad LED tail rings| Climatronics upgrade| Dynaudio retrofit | B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|TPMS Direct|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM Retrofit|HBA/FLA