Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MIB 2 and the possibility of Retrofitting

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like

MIB 2 and the possibility of Retrofitting

VWOA announced yesterday 2016 Models will have the MIB2 infotainment system.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/07...s-within-days/

We know many will want to retrofit this new system. We do not have all the answers and thought creating a post to collect information may assist the community.

Posting of Autoscans, Channel maps, and any other info from the 2016 models will help.

2. Likes Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have messing with this for few days now.

The politcally correct answer is from ODIS: "Wrong equipment installed" These have Component Protection which is not easy task. Seems like CP master is cluster. Even some older clusters have CP funcionality in them, at least 3aa 920 880 P. Because this cluster with 7n0...BC Gateway activated the CP on unit. On table test with BC gw didn't.

Also AN gw is able to communicate with 5F, but not in instalation list.

Extra. On new units there are many "Invalid Dataset faults" Odis or VCP should be able to resolve those.

It does look wicked.

Pics from another car:

Our testing:
    https://goo.gl/photos/EZ9E9FA99ga8XWyS6
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

4. Likes Uwe, SHODAN, DGMotors liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santos View Post
    VWOA announced yesterday 2016 Models will have the MIB2 infotainment system.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/07...s-within-days/

We know many will want to retrofit this new system. We do not have all the answers and thought creating a post to collect information may assist the community.

Posting of Autoscans, Channel maps, and any other info from the 2016 models will help.
    Santos: Great idea - my small contribution to helping the Americans is the latest spreadsheet that compares admaps from a bunch of MIBII from around the globe HERE

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, based on the above pictures it seems like a retrofit might be possible at some point. Will a cluster swap be necessary as well or will having a white MFD be enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SHODAN View Post
    So, based on the above pictures it seems like a retrofit might be possible at some point. Will a cluster swap be necessary as well or will having a white MFD be enough?
    Well CP-master seems to be in cluster. So yes cluster is needed. But how does ODIS and motherVW take the situation where this is fitted in somewhere it doesn't belong. Car_net is out i guess. You have to insert VIN in carnet webpage and guess what happens if you insert 10 years old car VIN
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda

9. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    Well CP-master seems to be in cluster. So yes cluster is needed. But how does ODIS and motherVW take the situation where this is fitted in somewhere it doesn't belong. Car_net is out i guess. You have to insert VIN in carnet webpage and guess what happens if you insert 10 years old car VIN
    Golfi_vend: The extract below from the SSP displaying the network arrangement for CP on the mk 7 might be of interest.

Don

PS: it's a great project which co-incidentally a forum colleague down her in the antipodes, just conpleted. You can find information (about the physical install) HERE
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

11. Likes Uwe, XaGiCo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes MK7 and B8 passats, but in CC MY16. It's just information I've collected.
    On audis the CP-master is also GW... so you would guess in MY16 CC/Tiguan etc.. also, but rumors tell otherwise.

In the meantime...We should receive cluster back with SW updated to 1000+(previously 0703) and then check the possibility of removing CP. BUT...
    I heard a story where there was discovery fitted in Jetta that had the Composition Media(i guess right name). Everything went OK, CP removed BUT nav still didn't get active. We guess that when it didn't have it originally, it cannot be retrofitted with dealer tools.

13. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going to chime in and see if there is any way that I can assist. I have a 2010 Jetta.. Mk5 body, Mk6 electronics. I have the US MIB2 PQ unit, 7N0 BC gateway, and a 2016 Tiguan 3D color instrument cluster. I have not as of yet placed anything in the vehicle. I do have several tools other than VCDS (sorry Uve, please forgive me) that will allow me to adapt the cluster to my ECU and any keys. They also allow me to poke around inside of other units. More than willing to share any information that I have that is relevant, just don't want to re-invent the wheel and step on the same landmines that others have already stepped on. Where should be start?

15. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtweb View Post
    Going to chime in and see if there is any way that I can assist. I have a 2010 Jetta.. Mk5 body, Mk6 electronics. I have the US MIB2 PQ unit, 7N0 BC gateway, and a 2016 Tiguan 3D color instrument cluster. I have not as of yet placed anything in the vehicle. I do have several tools other than VCDS (sorry Uve, please forgive me) that will allow me to adapt the cluster to my ECU and any keys. They also allow me to poke around inside of other units. More than willing to share any information that I have that is relevant, just don't want to re-invent the wheel and step on the same landmines that others have already stepped on. Where should be start?
    Start with autoscan And for just for info(at least for me) with adaption map of 5F.

17. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No need org cluster , org ECU, if you car is not on server list to be "rebuild"
    No matter of what cluster SW version you have.
    Version SW100x give you a chance to enable it online, but if your VIN is not in a server (I believe is not) you will not jump to next step.
    Everybody thinking..... " I need right cluster, right gateway, right radio" and bingo
    I know only GW must be able to talk with 5F unit , and others is a trick with Component remove / hack.
    Manufacture cars made 2016 , but only in RADIO, not RADIO + NAVI, can only enable RADIO in NAVI unit , because VIN of that car is design for RADIO only
    So to fully enable radio, you must have donor CAR which was build with NAVI and hack radio .

Also - if you remove MIB radio from 2016 car, and place radio to older car , radio will LOCK component protection, and you are in deep sh****
    and to fix it for future retrofit , you must REMOVE component Protection LOCK + match Component protection, so simple "try" will fu**** it up
    If you remove radio from MIB car , and run it on the bench and radio still can be "hack"

Well done VW
    HOT HOT HOT VW Touran 2005 with ACC HOT HOT HOT

19. Likes Uwe liked this post