Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8J TT convertible flap output test not working

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dana, your help is much appreciated.

I have just emailed you two debug files, one when trying Convertible Top Flap Initialisation test and one for Motor for Convertible Top Flap Left (V383)

John

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I forgot to add - I dug out a handful of euro's and scoured Erwin

The roof operation mechanism is described in detail in A075S00332V-Nr_391__AUDI_TT_Roadster.pdf but as regards initialisation it simply says

"After repair work on the convertible top covers, convertible top cover senders G596 and G597 must
    be adapted to the convertible top operation control unit J256. This can only be accomplished using
    a VAS tester and the Guided Fault Finding or Guided Functions option."

jt

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohn View Post

I have just emailed you two debug files, one when trying Convertible Top Flap Initialisation test and one for Motor for Convertible Top Flap Left (V383)

John
    Did the debug files get to you ok Dana?

Having experimented some more I reckon the Reinitialisation Test resets the flap motors open/closed threshold voltages to 70 and 160
    Having exited the reinit test and operating the roof a few times allows the controller to adjust the thresholds to be within 10v of the readings it's actually seeing from the flap motors.
    I guess it would store the settings when you close the controller (?)imho

If this theory is correct then new flap motor adaption process would be:-
    Run (and stop) Reinitialisation and then run open/close flap tests a few times - but the open/close flap tests don't work for me - doh!

Where did your wiki info originate?

btw I have opened up and inspected a flap motor and they are not very complex.
    About the only thing that could go wrong is for a variable resistance track or contact to develop a fault and send a rogue voltage reading causing the controller to have a fit. I'll post photo's elsewhere.

John
    Last edited by mgjohn; 08-27-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

John
    Have now used VCDS built-in upload facility to transfer debug files after repeated attempts to email attachments to support were bounced.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you please Forward the bounced mails to us in their entirety so we can have a look at the headers to see why they bounced?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The debug files appear to show nothing out of the ordinary. The unit is simply saying "running". I'm not sure what else to suggest other then the factory test plan may be using some additional steps that aren't documented for some reason.

8. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This

"After repair work on the convertible top covers, convertible top cover senders G596 and G597 must
    be adapted to the convertible top operation control unit J256. This can only be accomplished using
    a VAS tester and the Guided Fault Finding or Guided Functions option."
    sounds a lot like what I located in NAR TPI 2018777/7 and the mechanical redirection to TPI 2015779/7.

Where did your wiki info originate?
    I didn't originally create that page but the new info was based on the TPIs in addition to locating which Outputs should be supported by the 26 module. After doing so I dug to see what the factory scan tool test plan would do. All of it matched the notes in our label file so someone else had already been there and done that I didn't think the label file instructions were incorrect based on personal success working with repair shops over the phone .. but double checking never hurts. At the least we have the Wiki page discrepancy partially sorted.

btw I have opened up and inspected a flap motor and they are not very complex.
    About the only thing that could go wrong is for a variable resistance track or contact to develop a fault and send a rogue voltage reading causing the controller to have a fit. I'll post photo's elsewhere.
    I agree and suspect it is a potentiometer reading the 26 module isn't happy with but pics would be great!

We just received a NAR scan from a 2008 TT with new flap motor(s) installed and 02000 - Switch Position - Implausible Signal - Intermittent stored. I'll keep an eye on that conversation if I'm unable to reply directly.

10. Likes mgjohn liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Can you please Forward the bounced mails to us in their entirety so we can have a look at the headers to see why they bounced?

-Uwe-
    Done - emailed to support, here's a summary

First one sent Aug 20th bounced back on 25th with a 451
    Next sent 27th Aug bounced back 1 Sept same result

<support@ross-tech.com>: host ross-tech.com[207.58.189.11] said: 451
    Temporarily unable to process your email. Please try again later. (in reply
    to RCPT TO command)

jt

12. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The debug files appear to show nothing out of the ordinary. The unit is simply saying "running". I'm not sure what else to suggest other then the factory test plan may be using some additional steps that aren't documented for some reason.
    Hmm - so anyone got any good theories as to why, when vcds asks the controller to move the flaps it just carries on running, nothing moves and it doesn't report 'end'? And the same thing happens when asked to 'reinitialise'

The good news is that flaps (and roof) are currently all working fine and when controller is asked to cycle the dash roof indicator light it manages that just fine!!

If I were to unplug and reconnect the controller in an attempt to 'reset' it might I be 'lifting up a stone'?

jt

Post Thanks / Like
    Internal, I replied to E?ID=269727 asking him to try the V383 and V381 Output Tests after the new flap motors are calibrated using the Convertible Top Flap Initialisation procedure.