Battery Manager J644 - History logs; can VCDS read these? ...

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
The self study guide for the Audi Q7 [SSP_364 Audi Q7 Electrical Systems] clearly states on Page 15 that the Q7 J644 is "identical to the control unit known from the A6 '05 and A8 '03".

SSP_364 then goes on, across about 6-7 pages, to describe the history logs that the J644 writes and can be accessed from the VAS5xxx 'Directed Fault Finding' screen.

Does VCDS offer the facility to read and display/dump these logs please? [In my case, off an A8 D3 MY2005].

Thanks - Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not at present, no.

-Uwe-

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Not at present, no.

-Uwe-

Thank you. That was quick - I'd hardly finished typing! :D

You might recall, Uwe, that I have ongoing battery discharge problems with my A8, so that feature would be really useful.

Have you any plans to implement that or is it a non-trivial exercise?

Thanks - Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I believe getting the raw data is relatively straightforward. That's usually the case. But raw data us useless; much of what VCDS does is interpret raw data and put it into a form that's meaningful to the user. In this case, that part does not seem to be straightforward at all. This has been on our To-Do list for a while, but to be honest, we've not gotten a whole lot of requests for it.

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
History Data can be battery related but there are a bunch of other scenario's and control modules which contain similar and also relevant data that comes in very handy for fault finding. As Uwe mentioned, reading the data is simple - in some cases it is as easy as reading a coding value while in others it's more like a measuring value. Sadly as Uwe also pointed out, US based customers seem not be aware of this feature and therefor the number of requests has been very low. OTOH here in Europe I get about 1-2 related questions a months plus a few cases where that feature would really simplify diagnosing the problem. My personal view here is that this is likely the same as with ECU mileage reading or optical bus diagnostics. Up until the time it's implemented, people may not request it - because they just don't know about it.

As far as making sense of the data goes, while I do agree that it's not necessarily trivial - one can technically do it by hand without too much hassle (the SSP you referred to gives clues on that). ;) Like you I would happily settle for just reading the raw data for now - that would at least fix the immediate needs of many. :D

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
I have to say that I was not aware of the 'history stuff' in the ECU until I read the Q7 SSP as it's not in the A8 one. An hour or two later I'm not even sure it's in the A8 logic as the A6 SSP seems to imply the ECU is updated from the A8 ECU! Maybe that's firmware changes as well as a possible Hxx hardware level change.

There's an awful lot of misunderstanding about the ECU and battery status and 'what causes what' and every little bit helps. I note there's even a battery setting history for the last three battery recodes. Perhaps I could volunteer to try and test this out :rolleyes:

Regards - Julian

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Battery related this is supported (and documented in the SSPs) by the following models (as well as others but these are the important ones):

Audi A1 (8X)
Audi Q3 (8U)
Audi A3 (8V)
Audi A4 (8K)
Audi A5 (8T)
Audi A6 (4F)
Audi A6/A7 (4G)
Audi A8 (4E)
Audi A8 (4H)
Audi Q5 (8R)
Audi Q7 (4L)
Seat Leon (5F)
Skoda Octavia (5E)
Skoda Superb (3V)
Bentley Mulsanne (3Y)
VW Golf (5G)
VW Polo (6C)
VW Touareg (7P)

The battery history is a known fact, which is why we have been propagating the battery recode feature for quite some time. ;)

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
My (third under warranty) battery seems to be taking a nose-dive again. There may be some correlation with the cold weather - but I think the BEM doesn't do a very good job at all. Meanwhile, a little 'bump', '+1' or anything else you want to call it for access to the Battery History.

Last edited:
Back