Thread: Vr6 AFP upper engine noise.

Post Thanks / Like

Vr6 AFP upper engine noise.

I've got an 02 Jetta with a AFP VR6 with 193,000 miles on it that has a noise in the upper engine. I have already done the intake runner repair with the upgraded bushings but I still have a bad noise like lifters rattling.
    Vehicle is super clean and been babied its whole lift with proper maintenance with synthetic oil and only use Mann filters.
    I know everything wears with age but it seems this noise sorta developed fairly quickly.
    Are the lifters prone to fail and if so is it a difficult job to replace? or should i think about doing a complete refresh of the entire engine?

I've searched for any threads on this topic but unable to find anything about it.
    Any info or at least a point in the direction of a thread on this would sure be helpful.

Thanks,
    Stowburb

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not familiar with that particular engine code but would it be the chain/guides faulty by any chance. Seen quite a few on all derivatives of the vr6 (from 12v and 24v)
    Obviously without actually hearing it we are all only guessing problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dubTECH View Post
    I'm not familiar with that particular engine code but would it be the chain/guides faulty by any chance. Seen quite a few on all derivatives of the vr6 (from 12v and 24v)
    Obviously without actually hearing it we are all only guessing problems.
    Apparently the VR6 chain issues sound a bit like a tin can full off marbles, muffled into a towel. Somewhat common issue it seems, and more so on the R32 engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think its a chain/guide issue, however it is possible given the mileage on the vehicle and not having any service history on it.
    However the noise seems to be coming from i=under the intake closer to the center of the engine rather than the rear or driver side.