Vr6 AFP upper engine noise.

stowburb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=77250
I've got an 02 Jetta with a AFP VR6 with 193,000 miles on it that has a noise in the upper engine. I have already done the intake runner repair with the upgraded bushings but I still have a bad noise like lifters rattling.
Vehicle is super clean and been babied its whole lift with proper maintenance with synthetic oil and only use Mann filters.
I know everything wears with age but it seems this noise sorta developed fairly quickly.
Are the lifters prone to fail and if so is it a difficult job to replace? or should i think about doing a complete refresh of the entire engine?

I've searched for any threads on this topic but unable to find anything about it.
Any info or at least a point in the direction of a thread on this would sure be helpful.

Thanks,
Stowburb

dubTECH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=104757
I'm not familiar with that particular engine code but would it be the chain/guides faulty by any chance. Seen quite a few on all derivatives of the vr6 (from 12v and 24v)
Obviously without actually hearing it we are all only guessing problems.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I'm not familiar with that particular engine code but would it be the chain/guides faulty by any chance. Seen quite a few on all derivatives of the vr6 (from 12v and 24v)
Obviously without actually hearing it we are all only guessing problems.

Apparently the VR6 chain issues sound a bit like a tin can full off marbles, muffled into a towel. Somewhat common issue it seems, and more so on the R32 engines.

stowburb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=77250
I don't think its a chain/guide issue, however it is possible given the mileage on the vehicle and not having any service history on it.
However the noise seems to be coming from i=under the intake closer to the center of the engine rather than the rear or driver side.

Back