Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 07 V10 TDI. And so it begins...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK, I see 'em. There's really only one useable map there (Upload 3 of 4). The first two are maps of module 05 (the Kessy) and the last one is an Adaptation map rather than an MVB map.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn I'm retarded. I'll start over and go csv this time. It will be easier to see if I'm sending you my dog's vet bill by accident.

3. Likes Eric, Dana, NZDubNurd, dafrazi, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sending the files anyway, who knows if the 05 maps might come in handy for someone.

5. Likes Dana, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    More crap for the fan.

I got hold of the place that does DPF cleaning (FSX here in WA state). Nice people. They have two sides of the house. One does cleaning and the other makes the equipment used and sells it mostly to places that work on heavy trucks.

They can in fact take my DPF, but don't do exchanges. To assist anyone who may stumble across this thread in the future the cost is $300 to clean the filter and another $200 to do the cut/weld operation. To clean the DPF if it goes first through a high pressure blow out. Then they heat it in the oven to 600 degrees C, then they blow it out again and weld it up using the registration marks they leave on the way in.

They told me to brace myself that a large number of VW TDI filters are FUBAR when cut open. When I asked what percentage she hesitated and said "as much as half". Gulp.

If they discover that to be the case they red tag your filter and charge you $100 for their time (at which point I'll take it to a local job shop and have them weld it back up sans guts). So, $500 if it goes well and $100 if it was a waste of time. Uh, each (and the Touareg definitely has a matched pair).

Given the cost of a new filter (rumored to be around $1500) I think the risk is worth it. They did tell me also that I could probably tell ahead of time if my DPF is junk. At the time of removal there should be dirty soot on the engine side and almost none to very little on the tail pipe side. If it's sooty crap on the tail pipe side it is likely not worth cutting open.

[soapbox]
    The DPF is an example of stupidity. Problem statement: Diesel engines are obviously dirty (just look at soot coming out of the pipe).

So you create a particulate filter and insist that everyone have them. Then when they plug up you either chuck them in the land fill, or someone does this.

Now class, for the win, how many soot particles did you prevent from being released into the world?
    [/soapbox]

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    why don't you try the oven cleaner I think jack has good luck with it.

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to post up an update. Besides work and my motorcycle road trip I have been slammed with life and unable to focus on the Touareg.

As I hurriedly left for Utah I asked my woman to drive the volvo, which she didn't do. Typically when I go on a trip that is when something breaks that I can't do anything about.

Well she called me to report that the brake pad warning light came on. Yay. Then later that day she told me that all the lights except the brake pad warning light went out and that it drove fine. As they say on facebook, 'dafuq?'

Indeed in the days since I got back it has gone in and out of limp mode a very few times but other than that seems to be full of all kinds of boost, and getting better every day.

I did an autoscan earlier today and the last code for either the DPF or the turbo controller was at least 500 miles ago.

I attempted to do some logs with the car driving but as it turns out, giving a 500 ft-lb car a little run on a residential thoroughfare gets illegal as hell real quick like.

The car is not lacking in power. After the first major pull I had to locate the mouse for my laptop in the back seat.

I'm still trying to figure out which channels to monitor and what to do with the data, but I plotted boost along with rpm, fuel injector volumes, etc.

If I subtract out the initial 1050mb of atmosphere I am seeing around 16psi of boost, and If I read another channel properly I'm seeing closer to 25 upstream of the waste gate.

I'm still going to do Jack's oven cleaner trick. Not sure if we bought the right kind (Easy Off but it doesn't say foaming. Does say fume free). Turns out not many people buy oven cleaner anymore so my local store selection might be weak.

I've located one pretty good thread here with some details on Jack's process. If anyone knows of an idiot proof description with pictures I'd appreciate the tip. If there isn't one then I'll create one when I'm further along. I don't need help identifying the DPF or on how to remove it. Looks pretty straight up compared to a lot of tasks on this vehicle.

It has occurred to me after going through a lot of threads and the online manual that there is a lot to VCDS that I'm a complete newb with. I started back with trying to get a log of the engine controller 1, measuring block 034 but that appears to be a static value and doesn't change when driving (that is what prompted me to start selecting other channels based on the units which pop up, even though I really don't know for sure what they measure).

Oh, one thing with the DPF. The one identified in my scans is Bank 2. Can anyone tell me for sure which bank is bank 2 on the Touareg V10 tdi? I promise I won't ask again.

Oh. Last thing (hangs head in shame). I think I know where this all started. After we had owned the vehicle for a short time I pulled the dip stick and it was dry. At that very moment I didn't know that the V10 dip stick is a complete joke requiring you to sample the oil several times to get any kind of reading. Well I added oil, probably over a quart before it showed on the stick.

Since then I've read that a dry stick is to be expected, and that I should intentionally run it a bit on the low side. Notice that I'm not even up to the point of talking oil or additives.

I now believe the vehicle has been ingesting its own oil, which would of course foul the tiny holes, the cats, etc. I hate cats.

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's oven cleaner day at flaps house

Starting with bank 2, left side DPF: Off like a prom dress. I ended up cutting both rubber hoses to the pressure sensors. That hose was quite crunchy. I spent about 20 minutes trying to save them before the knife came out.

I'm going to the dealer in a while where i am quite sure they will, with a straight face, tell me that rubber hose #***** is make of bonded kryptonite and midget tears, and that the individually bagged hoses are of tapered 3D configuration and are $91 each. Can ship sometime in 2015, luck permitting.

Fittingly, swinging from a tree branch.

Prior to spraying into it

Round one. It actually took some hose work before water would flow through this thing.

Even new these things must have heinous back pressure. Not sure what constitutes "okay" since i don't have a way to measure it.

Starting round 2 and letting it soak.

12. Likes Eric, Uwe, jyoung8607, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Round three took place a couple of hours ago. At this point full flow water from my hose doesn't even phase the flow through the DPF

Either i seriously underestimated the cost of the hoses from the dealer or the woman was looking at the wrong part diagram.

"Whole set, blah, blah, $381"

No seriously. I just want two pieces of hose

14. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So about the hose.

She wasn't kidding. I was off, but it was in the $320something range. The good guy price is $281.

See, you have to buy the whole set that is highlighted. Those pressure sensors, items 32 in the diagram (not included) are up on top of the transmission. Ain't no way in hell I'm doing those. There must have been something about my facial expression after she said "well you might as well do them all as long as you're in there". B**** I ain't in there, I'm under there with hand tools and a bad attitude. That was when she offered me the good guy discount.

This stuff don't come from Pelican or Rock Auto.

I asked her if there was a tech around who could tell me what type of hose I could find. You don't sell someone a seventy five thousand dollar car and then eight years later tell them "we don't carry those parts". I can go to the Porsche dealer, and with an generous supply of personal lubricant, be sure that I can leave with parts for my 16 year old Porsche.

[sidetrip]
    A zillion years ago I fell into a deal for a superbly kept Pontiac Fiero. The car was 2 years old and I'm quite sure that makes it the newest vehicle I've ever owned to this day. One of the common faults of the car was the TPS, a device I'd never heard of before. When it began to fail you would initially feel it as random shudders which grew in length, intensity and duration as time went on. New throttle position sensors were known to fail off the shelf, so buying a new one for $120 was a crap shoot. This was in the day before Al Gore invented the internet, so I had to belong to a mailing list. Nope, not that kind. Keep going back. Yep, stamps.

The fix was to crack the thing open, solder the three fingers down to the contact points and then pot the thing with silicone. Done and done.

When I was removing the screws I broke one. That is a super rare occurrence for me. Huh. So I took the good one to the auto parts store, and then the hardware store, and then the specialty hardware store. No one could match the thread. "Dealer only". So I got the the Pontiac dealer on a saturday mid day.

The parts counter guy whistled to a mechanic who was trying to sneak out for lunch, and asked him about the screws. Turns out the screws are unique thread and cheeze metal. They come with a TPS but you can't buy them separately. He walked me over to his tool box and produced a screw. Said he keeps the ones that don't break off, which they usually do. He gave me the screw and I was in business.

Hence, why I asked for a Tech today.
    [/sidetrip]

She came back with a chunk of hose that looks exactly like the stuff I picked up as plan B from the auto parts place. She told me the tech said that the hose in her hand was too large (he was right), but that kind of hose should be okay.

I'm skeptical as hell.

16. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flaps measure the inside and outside of those hoses........ I might have some bulk packs of double braided for the PSI sensors cheap!

Genuine hose units I bought for other cars I cut to fit that have the bends.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

18. Likes Uwe liked this post