Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 07 V10 TDI. And so it begins...

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no love lost between me and Touaregs (I call them POSUVs, back from their "SUVW" billboard days), but I really love that pic
    Last edited by Eric; 06-28-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I followed a published procedure for pulling the front battery out. It's a big'n. The battery compartment under the seat was immaculate. It is the OEM Varta battery but no indication of any date code (under the battery were a few stickers with a date in 2006 but that would have been factory QC stickers.

I checked it and got 12.3 volts over the posts and a while later I checked and got 12.1 which seems low. I pulled the battery out and took it down to my local auto parts place where he declared it just fine after putting a load on it, but that it would need charging. I did have the ignition on for about 30 minutes while I F-d round getting my auto scan pulled.

The battery is back on the charger and I'm looking up codes. I'm also about to crawl back under the car because obviously I'm happier than crap doing so.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaps10 View Post
    Per the request. You can see it even has an exclamation after the word wallet.
    Well that's... that's special.

Translating "wallet" German to English, Babylon.com produces this word salad: "surge, rise and fall in or like waves, seethe, bubble or foam as if boiling, flow, heave, rush, swell." Perhaps one of our native German speakers can clarify. I'm sure the cluster warning corresponds to your DPF clog code. However, if the turbos aren't responding properly, the ECU's ability to gauge DPF performance may be compromised. Or vice versa. I'm not a diesel guy.

I followed a published procedure for pulling the front battery out. It's a big'n. The battery compartment under the seat was immaculate. It is the OEM Varta battery but no indication of any date code (under the battery were a few stickers with a date in 2006 but that would have been factory QC stickers.
    Do you see anything stamped into the battery terminals directly? That's how the Varta factory batteries are marked in your cousin vehicles.

Jason

5. Likes Eric, Jack@European_Parts, ivagp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Flaps,

Nice scan. I didn't realize there were any vehicles sold in the US that had 18-Aux Heat.

Based on what I see there of the other systems, that is indeed a pre face-lift T'reg, which explains why

Curious: Do the roof rails run transversely or longitudinally?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    Perhaps one of our native German speakers can clarify.
    I cannot. But whether I'm a "native" German speaker is debatable. Sure, it was my first (and only) language until age 7-1/2, but that was a LONG time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    I'm sure the cluster warning corresponds to your DPF clog code.
    Agreed.

I predict some foamy oven cleaner in Flaps' future. With that engine, he should probably buy a whole case of it.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

8. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jyoung,
    Indeed the post is stamped 21/06. My smart charger has dropped from 4 amps to 2 but is still in the process of ramming electrons into the battery. It is a group 49 battery and the local parts place had an AGM style for $176. It wasn't a complete bitch to reach (relative to the ^$&# turbo controllers) so pending on the outcome of the charge cycle I may opt for the new battery as a matter of preventative maintenance - something I don't typically do. I just know that some vehicles (my Triumph motorcycles for example) that tend to act up with other than a real fresh battery.

Uwe,
    You noticed the same thing I did about the aux heat as I watched the scan come together. I had no idea that any new car had that system, let alone this one. Edit: Oh, and there are fixed rails running longitudinally where our trade in had the grooves running front to back and I mounted my Thule rack to those grooves for hauling kayaks.

When I fueled up the other day I did notice a sticker (in german, super handy for gringos) under the gas door telling you to turn off the aux heat when fueling. I know just enough German to know to keep my mouth shut and recognized the word Webasto or Eberspacher, which are name brands of aux heaters from Germany, and enough text to understand the direction to shut it off. I just went out to see what it said, but with the system battery on my workbench that door isn't coming open for a while.

In my old diesel Vanagon (there, I said it), it came with the aux heat but the one time I pushed the button it produced huge clouds of smoke and I thought the car was on fire. When I read up on the Ebersparcher heater I learned that it can produce a flame nearly 20' long when malfunctioning. Needless to say I never pushed the button again.

[sidetrip]
    Then years later I lived on a 53' sailboat with a dingbat woman and it had an Eberspacher heater. I first became acquainted with it when it malfunctioned (about the only thing they do well). The bearings in the blower were toast and the intake impeller had come loose. I sourced new bearings for $25 and bonded the intake impeller on with JB weld and a really cool trick with a couple of business cards to lock in the exact gap required. Needless to say that heater shit the bed every year and needed something else. At one point we had a guy on board that took a look at the ducting and told us that who ever installed it did a poor job of designing the layout and that it was likely back pressure that was causing the unit to overwork. Using his advice we redid the ducting and that furnace was actually pretty reliable after that.
    [/sidetrip]

10. Likes Uwe, ivagp, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jyoung, Indeed the post is stamped 21/06 ... I may opt for the new battery as a matter of preventative maintenance
    Nine year old battery... it's done its duty. I'd agree with you on PM replacement.

I just know that some vehicles (my Triumph motorcycles for example) that tend to act up with other than a real fresh battery.
    In an earlier post you mentioned your "front battery" so I guess you know about the rear battery on the V10 Touareg...? Read VW SSP 298 if you haven't already. You have this code:

Code:
    00164 - Battery Monitoring Control Module (J367) in Emergency Mode 
                008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    Don't assume the start battery is good just because the engine turns over okay. If the truck is deciding it needs emergency mode start (bridging both batteries together) that can cause all manner of weird problems, as there's a huge voltage drop for various onboard systems that aren't expecting it. You'll want to check age and condition for this one too.

Jason

12. Likes ivagp, Eric, Flaps10, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't assume the start battery is good just because the engine turns over okay.
    There was a time that would have been a preposterous statement.

Yay technology, right?

Edit: thinking about it more, I'm quite sure i have never had a car battery make it past about 7 years.
    The battery i had out never did show full charge. It was getting late and i knew the parts place would be closed. I let it rest while my kid and i worked on the old speed triple. It showed 12.7 volts. I put it back in and put the whole mess back together. All the same lights immediately.

I'll get the new battery tomorrow and also check that rear battery. Correct me if I'm wrong but the cabling for the rear battery passes right by the front and it looks to me they work in parallel for cranking. Because putting a big diesel in one end of a car and a medium-ish battery all the way in the back would be really stupid, right?

Ford 6.9? Two big blocks of lead acid right behind the headlights.

The good news is that in laying under the car i was able to identify the DPFs. They seem quite accessible. And that's all I'm going to say about those things for now.
    Last edited by Flaps10; 06-29-2015 at 01:13 AM.

14. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.

I predict some foamy oven cleaner in Flaps' future. With that engine, he should probably buy a whole case of it.

-Uwe-

Better living through chemistry ..........Sodium Hydroxide! Was also the Toxic Avenger.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also used to whiten teeth and remove flesh from skeletons. I'm guessing it's all in the timing.

17. Likes NZDubNurd liked this post