07 V10 TDI. And so it begins...

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I followed a published procedure for pulling the front battery out. It's a big'n. The battery compartment under the seat was immaculate. It is the OEM Varta battery but no indication of any date code (under the battery were a few stickers with a date in 2006 but that would have been factory QC stickers.

I checked it and got 12.3 volts over the posts and a while later I checked and got 12.1 which seems low. I pulled the battery out and took it down to my local auto parts place where he declared it just fine after putting a load on it, but that it would need charging. I did have the ignition on for about 30 minutes while I F-d round getting my auto scan pulled.

The battery is back on the charger and I'm looking up codes. I'm also about to crawl back under the car because obviously I'm happier than crap doing so.

Reactions: Uwe

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Per the request. You can see it even has an exclamation after the word wallet.
Well that's... that's special.

Translating "wallet" German to English, Babylon.com produces this word salad: "surge, rise and fall in or like waves, seethe, bubble or foam as if boiling, flow, heave, rush, swell." Perhaps one of our native German speakers can clarify. I'm sure the cluster warning corresponds to your DPF clog code. However, if the turbos aren't responding properly, the ECU's ability to gauge DPF performance may be compromised. Or vice versa. I'm not a diesel guy. :confused:

I followed a published procedure for pulling the front battery out. It's a big'n. The battery compartment under the seat was immaculate. It is the OEM Varta battery but no indication of any date code (under the battery were a few stickers with a date in 2006 but that would have been factory QC stickers.
Do you see anything stamped into the battery terminals directly? That's how the Varta factory batteries are marked in your cousin vehicles.

Jason

phaeton40k-104.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Flaps,

Nice scan. I didn't realize there were any vehicles sold in the US that had 18-Aux Heat.

Based on what I see there of the other systems, that is indeed a pre face-lift T'reg, which explains why

Curious: Do the roof rails run transversely or longitudinally?

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Perhaps one of our native German speakers can clarify.
I cannot. But whether I'm a "native" German speaker is debatable. Sure, it was my first (and only) language until age 7-1/2, but that was a LONG time ago. ;)

I'm sure the cluster warning corresponds to your DPF clog code.
Agreed.

I predict some foamy oven cleaner in Flaps' future. With that engine, he should probably buy a whole case of it. :cool:

-Uwe-

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Jyoung,
Indeed the post is stamped 21/06. My smart charger has dropped from 4 amps to 2 but is still in the process of ramming electrons into the battery. It is a group 49 battery and the local parts place had an AGM style for $176. It wasn't a complete bitch to reach (relative to the ^$&# turbo controllers) so pending on the outcome of the charge cycle I may opt for the new battery as a matter of preventative maintenance - something I don't typically do. I just know that some vehicles (my Triumph motorcycles for example) that tend to act up with other than a real fresh battery.

Uwe,
You noticed the same thing I did about the aux heat as I watched the scan come together. I had no idea that any new car had that system, let alone this one. Edit: Oh, and there are fixed rails running longitudinally where our trade in had the grooves running front to back and I mounted my Thule rack to those grooves for hauling kayaks.

When I fueled up the other day I did notice a sticker (in german, super handy for gringos) under the gas door telling you to turn off the aux heat when fueling. I know just enough German to know to keep my mouth shut and recognized the word Webasto or Eberspacher, which are name brands of aux heaters from Germany, and enough text to understand the direction to shut it off. I just went out to see what it said, but with the system battery on my workbench that door isn't coming open for a while.

In my old diesel Vanagon (there, I said it), it came with the aux heat but the one time I pushed the button it produced huge clouds of smoke and I thought the car was on fire. When I read up on the Ebersparcher heater I learned that it can produce a flame nearly 20' long when malfunctioning. Needless to say I never pushed the button again.

[sidetrip]
Then years later I lived on a 53' sailboat with a dingbat woman and it had an Eberspacher heater. I first became acquainted with it when it malfunctioned (about the only thing they do well). The bearings in the blower were toast and the intake impeller had come loose. I sourced new bearings for $25 and bonded the intake impeller on with JB weld and a really cool trick with a couple of business cards to lock in the exact gap required. Needless to say that heater shit the bed every year and needed something else. At one point we had a guy on board that took a look at the ducting and told us that who ever installed it did a poor job of designing the layout and that it was likely back pressure that was causing the unit to overwork. Using his advice we redid the ducting and that furnace was actually pretty reliable after that.
[/sidetrip]

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Jyoung, Indeed the post is stamped 21/06 ... I may opt for the new battery as a matter of preventative maintenance
Nine year old battery... it's done its duty. I'd agree with you on PM replacement.

I just know that some vehicles (my Triumph motorcycles for example) that tend to act up with other than a real fresh battery.
In an earlier post you mentioned your "front battery" so I guess you know about the rear battery on the V10 Touareg...? Read VW SSP 298 if you haven't already. You have this code:

Code:
00164 - Battery Monitoring Control Module (J367) in Emergency Mode 
            008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Don't assume the start battery is good just because the engine turns over okay. If the truck is deciding it needs emergency mode start (bridging both batteries together) that can cause all manner of weird problems, as there's a huge voltage drop for various onboard systems that aren't expecting it. You'll want to check age and condition for this one too.

Jason

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Don't assume the start battery is good just because the engine turns over okay.

There was a time that would have been a preposterous statement.

Yay technology, right?

Edit: thinking about it more, I'm quite sure i have never had a car battery make it past about 7 years.
The battery i had out never did show full charge. It was getting late and i knew the parts place would be closed. I let it rest while my kid and i worked on the old speed triple. It showed 12.7 volts. I put it back in and put the whole mess back together. All the same lights immediately.

I'll get the new battery tomorrow and also check that rear battery. Correct me if I'm wrong but the cabling for the rear battery passes right by the front and it looks to me they work in parallel for cranking. Because putting a big diesel in one end of a car and a medium-ish battery all the way in the back would be really stupid, right?

Ford 6.9? Two big blocks of lead acid right behind the headlights.

The good news is that in laying under the car i was able to identify the DPFs. They seem quite accessible. And that's all I'm going to say about those things for now.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Agreed.

I predict some foamy oven cleaner in Flaps' future. With that engine, he should probably buy a whole case of it.

-Uwe-

Better living through chemistry ..........Sodium Hydroxide! Was also the Toxic Avenger.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Also used to whiten teeth and remove flesh from skeletons. I'm guessing it's all in the timing.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I'm quite sure i have never had a car battery make it past about 7 years

Our BWM had a warranty repalcement in April 2003... It's still in there... Lucky the car is manual, so we can probably roll start it when it dies :D

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I managed to pull the right side turbo controller off today and check the linkage. At first it seemed quite free but it did have positions where it seemed to hang up. I lubed it with a combination of triflow and white lithium grease. Both seemed to be rated for high temperatures. I had read somewhere a guy suggested brake grease. It's only good to about 450, hence the path I chose

I also followed Jack's suggestion of pulling the lower tubes off the intercoolers and got about a half cup or so of dirty oil out of each. The hoses are intact, so I put them back on. I pulled the top tubes off and they have goo (guess what color?) and the throttle butterflies (wtF with those, I have never had a diesel with crap like that).

The fresh (front) battery went in today. I was going to pull the rear battery too but I forgot to open the lid before removing the front battery. Oops.

I did a complete auto scan just after installing the battery and cleared the codes. I also checked the OBDII side, copied those into the same auto scan file and then cleared those.

Fired the beast up and it pulled the same dpf alert and the flashing glow plug light. I took it for a 20 minute drive to see if I could invoke a dpf burn. It seems to have power and then catches itself and gives me the limp thing.

Wallet indeed. I need to go over the wiring diagrams and figure out what the glow plug and DPF circuits have in common.

Oh and Thursday I was able to find a place here in WA that devised the equipment that most truck places use to clean DPFs. They listed a network of dealers and my nearest one was a Peterbuilt dealer. I mentioned DPF to the woman and she was happy to talk until I told her these were VW DPFs and they would likely have to be cut apart. Then she bowed out and suggested I call the VW dealer. I'll do that right after I grow tits.

The place in Granite Falls hasn't returned my call. They do show the VW DPF on their web page and they do the work. It's a bit of a drive but better than getting it dry from VW. Hopefully they'll call me early next week and I can get something going (or maybe they'll be able to convince the local Peterbuilt dealer that they can do the job).

I still need to do the left side turbo controller and I need to pull the intake manifolds. I'm assuming that is what the oven cleaner remark was about.

It just seems damn electrical to me. Too many alarms from an otherwise healthy vehicle in nice shape.

I'm headed out for a steak and some alcohol. Happy 4th everyone.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
.....she bowed out and suggested I call the VW dealer. I'll do that right after I grow tits.

Ahaha! I have to remember that one - It's right up there with "I'd rather guide my Grandpa into my Gran..." :D

I'm headed out for a steak and some alcohol.

Good man. Not too much though... or you may end growing tits, and calling the VW dealer. Not necessarily in that order :D

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Fired the beast up and it pulled the same dpf alert and the flashing glow plug light. I took it for a 20 minute drive to see if I could invoke a dpf burn. It seems to have power and then catches itself and gives me the limp thing.

Please make the 2 Control Module Maps, one with ignition and one in idle.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I need to go over the wiring diagrams and figure out what the glow plug and DPF circuits have in common.

Nothing at all, really. I think they just use it as an additional way of alerting the driver.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nothing at all, really. I think they just use it as an additional way of alerting the driver.
Right. One should not take the glow plug light to mean that there's actually anything wrong with the glow plugs or glow plug circuit. It's just a means of informing you that the engine management has detected issues of some sort. A scan tool should be used to investigate. ;)

Oh and Thursday I was able to find a place here in WA that devised the equipment that most truck places use to clean DPFs. They listed a network of dealers and my nearest one was a Peterbuilt dealer. I mentioned DPF to the woman and she was happy to talk until I told her these were VW DPFs and they would likely have to be cut apart. Then she bowed out and suggested I call the VW dealer. I'll do that right after I grow tits.

The place in Granite Falls hasn't returned my call. They do show the VW DPF on their web page and they do the work. It's a bit of a drive but better than getting it dry from VW. Hopefully they'll call me early next week and I can get something going (or maybe they'll be able to convince the local Peterbuilt dealer that they can do the job).

I predict some foamy oven cleaner in Flaps' future. With that engine, he should probably buy a whole case of it. :cool:

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
A scan tool should be used to investigate. ;)

And even then, someone withat least some BRAIN should process the data given by the scan tool.

I'm always amused how many people see a code for something along the lines of "O2 sensor, mixture deviation out of range" etc and go out and buy a $500 set of O2 cells, find they still have the same fault, take it to a mechanic, and pay him to replace the $25 intake boot that was the problem to start with.....

.....Though to be fair, sometimes it IS the mechanic who does that (No wonder people think German cars are so expensive to maintain!)

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Please make the 2 Control Module Maps, one with ignition and one in idle.

Okay I made a map of controller 1 and controller 11. One each with the ignition on and one at idle. What's the preferred method of posting those up? Same as the autoscan or are these the files I would email in.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Paste 'em in here, using CODE tags. Depending on their size, you might have to put them in separate replies.

-Uwe-

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Um. Shit. I let it save them as PLA and PLB files. Is there a way to re-open them and export as CSV, or do you just want the dump with all the commas, etc?

Edit: I emailed them in one at a time using vcds

Last edited:
Back