07 V10 TDI. And so it begins...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Again, for the benefit of anyone who ends up owning one of these things: DON'T BOTHER LOOKING AT THE DIP STICK. It will show a dry engine no matter what, or at least on this particular car it does. I panicked and started adding oil. I was probably on my second quart when I started not feeling well about it. You see, the car has an oil level sensor too, and if the car were as low as the stick portrayed then the MFD should be flipping out.

When I was doing the controllers recently I drained the oil and filled it, staying a little on the low side. The dip stick remained dry the entire time.
Is that a known issue with these engines, or did some previous owner install the wrong dipstick?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Is that a known issue with these engines, or did some previous owner install the wrong dipstick?

It is if you own one or actually work on them..........

That's why you RTFB the total capacity and measure when draining........always under fill, further factor expansion.

Last edited:

Lgibson

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=41716
With this engine you get no dipstick reading the first try, maybe not even the second. Takes a while for the level to rise into the tube. Another reason for doing your own oil/filter changes...12 quarts and no more.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
With this engine you get no dipstick reading the first try, maybe not even the second. Takes a while for the level to rise into the tube. Another reason for doing your own oil/filter changes...12 quarts and no more.

That is a good point......... and a reason why this happens is air gets trapped between sump and top of stick since is sealed.

Taking the stick out and removing oil cap, further waiting for the tube to level out with oil is advised .........
Once oil is present in hole, only than commence to dip your stick.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Soooo... Jack.

A while back you referenced the possibility that one or more injector was dumping fuel which causes excess smoke, which gets pulled back into the intake manifold through the EGR (which is just trying to save the planet, dammit). All this gums up the inside of the intake manifold, the electric butterflies and of course gives my DPFs black lung.

You indicated how I should try and get some temperature readings to figure out what cylinders were the issue.

Well for the life of me I don't see how I could isolate cylinders. The exhaust ports are in a location that the sun definitely doesn't shine, and instead of a header there is a large cast manifold on each side (which would seem to preclude isolating one jug).

And up top, the injectors are actually under the valve cover. Like way under the valve cover.

I've looked at the procedure for swapping and setting injectors. I would have to obtain/make the specific tools needed and honestly I'm not thrilled with the idea of keeping this car until fossil fuels are illegal.

So I queried the VW dealer to see if they could just do them all. Well that was a mistake, because the injectors are over $800 each. NFW am I going that route plus labor.

So we've scheduled the car for diagnostics (I feel retarded handing my car over to someone for that part) and "injector service". I can't wait to see what that entails.

Since doing the controllers I can get it to boost well if I drive it with a bit of a foot. The woman is more timid which causes it to not advance the boost sometimes.

Just last week it pitched a fit about the AFS headlights being inoperative. They light just fine, but the side-light (the one that comes on when you turn a corner) is out on the left one and the right housing is turning into a fish tank.

Anyway, can you suggest anything I should specifically ask them to do on this car?

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I have one brand new PD V10 injector if you wanna buy and play swaps.

You can most likely find the cylinder in question, by observing the ash on the injector tips or with a bore scope in the glow holes.

Some aviation guys I know because of their access to thermal couples, installed them like we have on the planes and have gages for each cylinder.

It's actually a great idea for keeping an eye on the cylinders for this thing.

Last edited:

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Virtual-tour-of-a-B36-cockpit.jpg

Hmm. It would look cool.

Back